Dr. Bill Wattenberg has passed away

westwall

WHEN GUNS ARE BANNED ONLY THE RICH WILL HAVE GUNS
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2010
Nevada
My friend and compatriot "Dr. Bill" passed away over the weekend, I waited till the official announcement so as to not shock any of his other friends. He was an amazing man, a polymath of exceptional intellect.

He will be missed...

"Bill Wattenburg, a former nuclear weapons designer at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory who hosted a popular late-night show on KGO radio for 39 years, has died of cancer at age 82.

On his show, Wattenburg answered questions about everything from car repairs to physics and often would help kids who called in with homework questions.

While kind to children, “Dr. Bill” had a gruff, suffer-no-fools attitude with adults. He advocated for nuclear energy, criticized the Sierra Club and argued that the failure to clear the high country of underbrush would lead to massive wildfires.

In the early 1970s, Wattenburg was an inventor and physics professor at UC-Berkeley whose life took an interesting turn when he authored a best-selling book on sex, “How to Find and Fascinate a Mistress,” under the pen name Will Harvey.

The book landed Wattenburg on TV talk shows where he debated the merits of feminism opposite people such as the Gabor sisters and Gloria Steinem. KGO hired him to host a three-hour show on Saturday and Sunday nights. He broadcast from his home in the Sierras."

Longtime KGO radio host and scientist Bill Wattenburg dead at 82 - Palo Alto Daily Post

Being in the Bay Area, I listened to Dr. Wattenberg's show once in awhile. I'll be the first to agree he was highly intelligent and knowledgeable, but I simply never cared for his style/delivery. He talked so slow.....it.....took.....forever...to....complete....a....sentence. He never came across as dynamic, enthusiastic or humorous, just dreary. Don't get me wrong, I completely respect his formidable mind but I don't think he was a very good talk radio host. That's why I'm sort of ambivalent.

Forum List

Back