Dow erases gains for the year, tumbles more than 600 points as stocks extend October swoon

'The Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 608.01 points at 24,583.42 and erased all of its gains for 2018. The S&P 500 dropped 3.1 percent to 2,656.10 and also turned negative for the year. The Nasdaq Composite fell 4.4 percent to 7,108.40— entering correction territory — as Facebook, Amazon, Netflix and Alphabet all traded lower.

"An increasingly murky macro picture is clouding the 2019 earnings outlook leaving investors to largely shrug off a solid start to the third quarter earnings season," said Alec Young, managing director of global markets research at FTSE Russell. "While valuations have certainly come down in recent weeks, at 16 times forward earnings for the Russell 1000 index, they aren't in the bargain basement by any means, especially if earnings growth slows more than expected next year."

Stocks have taken a beating this month. The Dow has dropped 7.1 percent in October, while the S&P 500 has pulled back 8.9 percent. The Nasdaq, meanwhile, has tumbled 11.7 percent.'

Dow erases gains for the year, tumbles more than 600 points as stocks extend October swoon

A week before Halloween - and the DOW is in the red for the year.

Obama's tenure saw the Dow rise 149% over his 8 years.
That's what 0% interest rates do

-Geaux

Could just be a nice correction. We're down less than 10% in this one, no big deal. Not yet, at least.

Of course, many are celebrating and hoping for the worst, but little can be done about people like that.

I think you mean another nice correction. They started "correcting" back in January.

'The Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 608.01 points at 24,583.42 and erased all of its gains for 2018. The S&P 500 dropped 3.1 percent to 2,656.10 and also turned negative for the year. The Nasdaq Composite fell 4.4 percent to 7,108.40— entering correction territory — as Facebook, Amazon, Netflix and Alphabet all traded lower.

"An increasingly murky macro picture is clouding the 2019 earnings outlook leaving investors to largely shrug off a solid start to the third quarter earnings season," said Alec Young, managing director of global markets research at FTSE Russell. "While valuations have certainly come down in recent weeks, at 16 times forward earnings for the Russell 1000 index, they aren't in the bargain basement by any means, especially if earnings growth slows more than expected next year."

Stocks have taken a beating this month. The Dow has dropped 7.1 percent in October, while the S&P 500 has pulled back 8.9 percent. The Nasdaq, meanwhile, has tumbled 11.7 percent.'

With the Feds infusing over 4 trillion dollars into the economy for the same exact period.

How much has been infused under Trump?
You asked, research it. I know the fed rates were near 0 under Obama and they are rising under Trump. That might give you a hint.

With the Feds infusing over 4 trillion dollars into the economy for the same exact period.

You asked, research it. I know the fed rates were near 0 under Obama and they are rising under Trump. That might give you a hint.

Ahh...and the one year (of many to come) trillion dollar budget over-run is doing nothing to prop up markets now is it? Clueless doesn't begin to describe you.

Ahh...and the one year (of many to come) trillion dollar budget over-run is doing nothing to prop up markets now is it? Clueless doesn't begin to describe you.
Wow, you didn't research the question you asked me. And not a mention of the Fed raising the fed rate under the Trump administration which we were discussing.
You go down a rabbit trail....figures. Start a thread on your post and we can discuss it too.

Wow, you didn't research the question you asked me. And not a mention of the Fed raising the fed rate under the Trump administration which we were discussing.
You go down a rabbit trail....figures. Start a thread on your post and we can discuss it too.

I asked you a question, you punted. I win.

Is the schmuck in the WH going to take credit ??

He has to because of the tariffs, it is having impact.
Also, with Trumps economy the Feds are raising rates which IMO is starting to have a neg on the market also.

Put an army on our southern border poised to invade and something not good is going to happen.

Also, with Trumps economy the Feds are raising rates which IMO is starting to have a neg on the market also.
YES The Fed chief that Trump appointed is raising rates and Trump belly aches Meanwhile the idiot fired Yellen who was keeping rates low Think the moron will take the blame??? When pigs fly

YES The Fed chief that Trump appointed is raising rates and Trump belly aches Meanwhile the idiot fired Yellen who was keeping rates low Think the moron will take the blame??? When pigs fly
You can't keep rates low, Ed. In a good economy and a low rate inflation rears its ugly head. That's why they raise the rates. Trump thinks they are raising it too fast.
Inflation is in check, but it does have impact on the market and it may start to cool. Which it could very well be doing.

You can't keep rates low, Ed. In a good economy and a low rate inflation rears its ugly head. That's why they raise the rates. Trump thinks they are raising it too fast.
Inflation is in check, but it does have impact on the market and it may start to cool. Which it could very well be doing.
But Trump is angry with the Fed for raising rates and like you infer in a good economy they need raising ,,,,,Buy bank stock imho

Its about time the Dow did a correction it should have done one two years ago . Its a relief that it has started.

US Futures Surge, Europe Rebounds As Market Rout Fades After $7 Trillion Wiped Out

'
Is it finally safe to buy the dip?

One day after Wall Street’s worst day since 2011 which sent US stock markets into the red for the year, and after Asian markets suffered heavy losses putting global stocks on course for their worst month since the financial crisis, the global rout has eased and S&P 500 futures gained as much as 1%, signaling a bounce on Wall Street and wiping out much of Wednesday's last hour losses...'

US Futures Surge, European Rebounds As Market Rout Fades After $7 Trillion Wiped Out

`
I have a rather diversified portfolio. I weathered the great 2008 disaster and came out ahead. On the other hand, I have also been cashing in some to buy more land and tackle some new capitol projects.

So, at what point do you experienced, long term investors start to worry?
As long as they're a long-term investor, never.

And if they're experienced, they know that perfectly healthy corrections can reach 10% to 15%.

This is why the average active investor has averaged only around a 3% return over the last 20 years (DALBAR study) - they lose their shit over volatility and allow their personal prejudices to distort their reason.

I partially disagree. 'Worry' is a relative term.

Back in September 2007, I 'worried' that the housing market was about to collapse (and the equity markets with them). So I completely liquidated my portfolio. If I had have remained 'unworried' and just looked at the trend (as the Fed did) as just a 'correction'...I would have lost TONS and missed a prime opportunity.

In other words, even though the 'experts' back in Fall 2007 were saying 'everything is fine'...my emotions/my gut were telling me otherwise. So I listened to my emotions and did more digging/research which led me to liquidate.

One should never panic, true. But I think it is dangerous to ignore ones emotions completely - even in investing.

But, each to his/her own, I guess.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back