Don’t Go To College !

Most people don't even end up working in the field of their college degree.

We have a lot of college educated waiters, baristas, etc

LEss likely than who some college educated barista

When you are an 18 year old High School student and are picking a major for College, you have little concept of what that profession entails. I went into Engineering but had little idea of what Engineers actually did. I just knew I was good at math and science and Engineers made good money.

Once you graduate college, you have no idea what opportunities life may throw at you. But college will make you better prepared to succeed at those opportunities

Many who didn’t go the college route couldn’t cut it anyway
By the same token, many who do go to college couldn't cut it working a job that requires working with machines.

A person who knows their strengths and weaknesses and is happy with their life choices is a very wise person indeed. Much wiser than someone who thinks they need to meet a random stranger's standard of intelligence.

When you are an 18 year old High School student and are picking a major for College, you have little concept of what that profession entails. I went into Engineering but had little idea of what Engineers actually did. I just knew I was good at math and science and Engineers made good money.

Once you graduate college, you have no idea what opportunities life may throw at you. But college will make you better prepared to succeed at those opportunities
And it can cost 4 year's salary to get that preparation. Many people are wise to realize that's a very high cost.

PoliticalChic
Absolutely can attest to this! I am in college now, got 6 classes left. TWO of those are actually required classes, I have yet to learn a damn thing for this 50,000$ piece of paper I am wasting money on. If this is what it takes to get a decent job then so be it. I wish I had known more about trades and apprenticeships when I was a teenager or young man. At my age I can't just leave for weeks at a time for training somewhere to get a CDL A or Heavy Equipment operator license etc. I have told my kids college is NOT the only option, Military,Trade School, Tech School etc.

Not necessarily.

Learning to do nothing but crunch numbers and solve equations doesn't prepare you for anything in the real world.

Do you know how many electrical engineers I've met who couldn't change a simple GFI outlet or wire a simple 3 way switch?

Shit I hired a civil engineering student who couldn't understand how to frame a wall. He lasted all of a week.

So I have no particular respect for the so called college educated. In fact I rather think that cherry picking classes from different disciplines is a much better way to educate yourself than sticking to some formal degree program with lot's of wasted time studying shit you'll never use.

PoliticalChic
Absolutely can attest to this! I am in college now, got 6 classes left. TWO of those are actually required classes, I have yet to learn a damn thing for this 50,000$ piece of paper I am wasting money on. If this is what it takes to get a decent job then so be it. I wish I had known more about trades and apprenticeships when I was a teenager or young man. At my age I can't just leave for weeks at a time for training somewhere to get a CDL A or Heavy Equipment operator license etc. I have told my kids college is NOT the only option, Military,Trade School, Tech School etc.
Heck, two years at a community college to get all the fluff courses out of the way costs a whole lot less.

Since 40% of college freshman never graduate it seems that a good chunk of people who choose the college route can't cut it either
Very true
Shows College is not just a rubber stamp
Takes a commitment to graduate. Many don’t have it.

Shit I hired a civil engineering student who couldn't understand how to frame a wall. He lasted all of a week.
Maybe not, but he could calculate the load being carried by that wall and investigate alternative methods to carry that load

A better idea.
1.Lots of reasons not to go to college these days. One glaring one is that they don’t teach….they indoctrinate. Any subject other than real science or math is a waste of time, money and neurons.
View attachment 558955
That's the ratio of Leftist profs versus Right.
Homogenous: The Political Affiliations of Elite Liberal Arts College Faculty by Mitchell Langbert | NAS

Note the ration in engineering and math.

Engineering has almost twice as many liberals teaching it as conservatives
And math has almost 6 times as many liberals teaching it as conservatives.

In short. Conservatives don't have the academic background to teach much. Is that your point?

PoliticalChic
At my age I can't just leave for weeks at a time for training somewhere to get a CDL A or Heavy Equipment operator license etc. I have told my kids college is NOT the only option, Military,Trade School, Tech School etc.
Colleges give a well rounded education. No matter what field, you have to take other courses as well. I constantly hear English majors complain about having to take math, and math majors complain about having to take English.

But in the end, that well rounded education makes you suitable for a wide range of jobs, and not just the single "tech" field you learn in trade school. After all, look how many people learned typesetting, or COBOL thinking they had a bright future.

Do you know how many electrical engineers I've met who couldn't change a simple GFI outlet or wire a simple 3 way switch?
Very few most likely and those that don't have that knowledge understand how to get it in like 5 minutes
Why would you expect him to? Take the average High School senior and he won't either

Engineering has almost twice as many liberals teaching it as conservatives
And math has almost 6 times as many liberals teaching it as conservatives.

In short. Conservatives don't have the academic background to teach much. Is that your point?
She is making one of the most ridiculous claims I have ever read.
Most STEM Professors don’t give a damn about social issues or politics. A large number are not even from this country.

Forum List

Back