Don’t Go To College !

It’s not that you can’t get anywhere without a college degree, but it gives you a certain skill set and opens doors not available to High School graduates.
The military can teach you amazing skills not available elsewhere. But depending on your MOS and attitude they may not transfer to the civilian world.
That's exactly what I found out.

I was offered gigs with two government contractors but, to be honest, I was done with it...

It’s not that you can’t get anywhere without a college degree, but it gives you a certain skill set and opens doors not available to High School graduates.
The military can teach you amazing skills not available elsewhere. But depending on your MOS and attitude they may not transfer to the civilian world.
Most people don't even end up working in the field of their college degree.

We have a lot of college educated waiters, baristas, etc
You CAN succeed without college but you are less likely to do so
LEss likely than who some college educated barista

Many students major in music in College. Other than becoming a music teacher or attending a school like Juilliard , I don’t think it makes you a better musician.

You are better off jamming with other skilled musicians and learning a variety of techniques

I often say that a music degree simply makes you more intolerant of musicians who don't have music degrees...

Yup. Republicans are actively trying to dumb down the country
How is a person weighing the options and taking a career path better suited for themselves dumbing anything down?

4. Now…..how to avoid both the indoctrination and the huge debt the colleges and Democrats have in store for you.

Since the only reason to attend a university other than an actual education…..science or math……is to be able to convince a prospective employer that you have two cerebral neurons to rub together, here’s how to do it and save the money and Liberal-infection.

The wisest of wonks, the brilliant Ann Coulter, provided this prophylactic (look it up) for the problem:

a. Work hard in high school and prepare for your SATs.

b. Apply to the finest universities you have a shot at attending.

c. Take a copy of your best SAT score, and the acceptance from the best of the schools you’ve applied to, and take them to the job interview.

Both yours and the employer’s problem is solved.

You’ve shown your potential, sans debt or the other problem.

I couldn't disagree with that more.

My buddy and my girlfriend both earn a living doing exactly nothing with their education...
My son graduated with a degree in polysci and does something completely different

BUT...college gave him the ability to do research...evaluate problems and solve them...express himself...and gave him life long contacts among highly talented and motivated individuals

Those are just SOME of the benefits

Lots of ignorant college students in the world.

.....and they prove the ignorance by voting for this:

1635773304477.png

I was an insurance adjuster for 25 years. Several of the people I worked with had 4 year degrees. They did the exact same job I did and got paid the exact same money.

I have a high school diploma.

But wait!

There's more.....

Like choosing underwater basketweaving as your major, while your parents pay through the nose.

OK, that one's still just a rumor, but you might want to check with your kids before signing on the dotted line -- because these 20 twisted majors are 100 percent real:

1. Wine Making. College isn't just about boozing after hours. Students at a host of schools can take viticulture -- learning to make wine from the grape growing to the grape stomping (or pressing these days) and beyond.

2. Golf Management. Four years on the links doesn't sound all that hard, but these students actually learn everything from how to keep a green "green" to hospitality.

3. Boilermaking. Not just the Purdue mascot, it's the study of how to make and repair steam parts.

4. Franchising. An entire line of study can help you run your own fast food chain. It's a far cry from flipping burgers.

5. Philology. A fancy name for the study of language. Take your pick from Tagalog to Urdu.

6. Meat Cutting. Thank a meat-cutting major for your steak tonight.

7. Home Ec. Yes, even in this day and age -- although they call it "family and consumer sciences" these days.

8. Home Furnishings and Equipment Installers. A roundabout way of saying "interior design," but they sound large and in charge this way.

9. Auctioneering. Classes to make you talk faster! New Yorkers need not apply.

10. Fashion and Fabric Consultation. Next stop: personal shopper.

11. Aromatherapy. You mean there's more to it than walking through Yankee Candle and taking home what smells good?

12. Human Sexuality. Let's talk about sex, baby! They do it at Widener University!

13. Canadian History. Our neighbor to the north is YOUNGER than the United States. And that's saying a lot.

14. Gunsmithing. As long as there's a right to bear arms, someone has to make them, right?

15. Mortuary Science and Embalming. Somebody's got to do it, but way to bring a pallor to your party days.

16. Logic. Can we sign everyone up for a year of this?

17. Security and Loss Prevention. They're NOT just mall cops apparently.

18. Cartooning. It's not a well-known college, but there's a school devoted entirely to comic books. Spider-Man eat your heart out.

19. Bagpiping. There's never a shortage of pipers at Scottish funerals ... or weddings ... thanks to Carnegie Mellon.

20. Sports Ministry. Get out there with your pastor and play paddleball at Belhaven. You'll be in sports heaven.

Would you pay for these?

Parenting, Baby Names, Celebrities, and Royal News | CafeMom.com
I would pay for some of them, if they were only for a year or two at the most, certainly not hundreds of thousands for 4 years.

I will say Mortuary Science and Embalming matches well with a business degree when someone wants to become a funeral director. One of the guys in my wedding party planned to be a funeral director from the time he was in high school. In fact, as we were getting ready to go to the wedding rehearsal, he went back in the house, came out with a coffee can, ran across the road and down the field to the tree line where he dumped it out. When he came back, he explained that his boss sent the can with him with instructions to dump the guy's ashes somewhere in the state.

My son graduated with a degree in polysci and does something completely different

BUT...college gave him the ability to do research...evaluate problems and solve them...express himself...and gave him life long contacts among highly talented and motivated individuals

Those are just SOME of the benefits
And the point remains that people can make their own choices. It would appear that those who did not go the college route are happy with the choice they made. Why is that a problem?

And the point remains that people can make their own choices. It would appear that those who did not go the college route are happy with the choice they made. Why is that a problem?

"people can make their own choices."

...except for Democrats, who simply do as they're told.

I often say that a music degree simply makes you more intolerant of musicians who don't have music degrees...

Same goes for art and drama majors
I think you do better in an apprentice type situation where you are learning on the job than learning art, music or acting theory and history in college

Forum List

Back