Dogs Speak to Humans With Gestures

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Another one of those “studies” paid for by you and me that comes up with results most of us dog people already know. Now, read this and they’ll tell you 19 gestures our four-legged friends use to communicate with us.

4D4D65C600000578-5851023-image-m-120_1529160470709.jpg

http://video.dailymail.co.uk/previe...522115977/636x382_MP4_6274721110522115977.mp4

Okay, I looked at them and think they’re rather shallow. The dogs I’ve had as friends in my life have a far wider ranging meaning than just wanting toys or food.

More, if you care to read it @ Scientists find 'strong evidence' dogs use gestures to communicate | Daily Mail Online

I'm not impressed with this study's "strong evidence". Licking for instance, means more than "scratch me". Dogs will do it in greeting, one of my dogs licks me when I brush him. I have "strong evidence" that he's asking me to stop. LOL

I've always believed my dog speaks to me in gestures...

bird-dog-5747947.jpg

I'm not impressed with this study's "strong evidence". Licking for instance, means more than "scratch me". Dogs will do it in greeting, one of my dogs licks me when I brush him. I have "strong evidence" that he's asking me to stop. LOL

The fact is, dogs have interchangeable meanings for actions. My dog will sit and lick me if I have dirt on my legs after being outside, or, if he's happy to see me. Other times when I am sick he will lick my face, sometimes he gives a single short lick early in the morning if he wants to be fed or need to go to the washroom. Or perhaps when I am having a bad dream and he is checking to see if I'm alright. It's amazing really, even the way in which he licks means something different.

The same can be said of other gestures. After awhile you get to understand your dog, and my wife is amazed (maybe even a little jealous hehe) that I tell her what our dog wants just from him looking at me. Just one of those "senses" we both have developed since we saved him when he was so young. Everything from knowing he wants to go outside to him wanted to be petted.

One thing is for sure, dogs and humans have evolved together. Their domestication is so pure that in fact dogs can read your facial signals better than chimpanzees!

That's pretty silly (the report)
Dogs have a much broader range and meaning of gestures than "scratch me, I want toy, I am hungry".

How could they miss the "low slink"... as in "yeah I did it, I'm sorry".
Or standing alert and face motion towards a direction, and might bark.... "there is something over there I really want".
Our dog Xena (my avatar) tells me everyday when the wife comes home. Whatever I am doing she runs up to me, excited, prance in a few circles and motioning me to open the back door.

If we accidentally leave the storm door shut (she has a pet door on the inside door, allowing her to go in and out as long as storm door is open) she will come up to one of us and stare and take several steps towards the back of the house. If we ignore it, she will bark one high-pitched yelp and repeat. Easily understood as "I can't get out and I need to pee".

Not only that but Xena, being a German Shepherd she is very "vocal". Not barking, but the howl/speaking that this breed does.
When she wants something and you say no....there is plenty of vocal protesting. She hates the word no, she really gets going if we are watching a movie or something and she wants to play...she will protest like crazy.

As if all dogs, and dog breeds, are alike. A smart Labrador Retriever will learn a new command in 3 repetitions, and then obey the command 90% of the time. A Siberian Husky will learn the same command in 100 repetitions, and then do it if he feels like it.

My little Chihuahua, Pixie, comes over next to my chair at the desk and lets me know she wants me to pick her up. I do and she perches on my air against my chest and licks my hand. I take it as her way of showing I am her alpha male and she is preening me as her way of showing it.

When she wants to go out, she will race back and forth between me and the door.

She also barks like crazy when my wife or stepson comes home. Each is different according to who it is.

Another one of those “studies” paid for by you and me that comes up with results most of us dog people already know. Now, read this and they’ll tell you 19 gestures our four-legged friends use to communicate with us.

4D4D65C600000578-5851023-image-m-120_1529160470709.jpg

http://video.dailymail.co.uk/previe...522115977/636x382_MP4_6274721110522115977.mp4

Okay, I looked at them and think they’re rather shallow. The dogs I’ve had as friends in my life have a far wider ranging meaning than just wanting toys or food.

More, if you care to read it @ Scientists find 'strong evidence' dogs use gestures to communicate | Daily Mail Online
They learn and teach you if you watch. I had a dog who would stand and squat when he had to go outside. It was his idea to train me to serve him and it worked.

The fact is, dogs have interchangeable meanings for actions. My dog will sit and lick me if I have dirt on my legs after being outside, or, if he's happy to see me. Other times when I am sick he will lick my face, sometimes he gives a single short lick early in the morning if he wants to be fed or need to go to the washroom. Or perhaps when I am having a bad dream and he is checking to see if I'm alright. It's amazing really, even the way in which he licks means something different.

The same can be said of other gestures. After awhile you get to understand your dog, and my wife is amazed (maybe even a little jealous hehe) that I tell her what our dog wants just from him looking at me. Just one of those "senses" we both have developed since we saved him when he was so young. Everything from knowing he wants to go outside to him wanted to be petted.

One thing is for sure, dogs and humans have evolved together. Their domestication is so pure that in fact dogs can read your facial signals better than chimpanzees!
I have two dogs who are sisters and I got the other sister when the owners were going to put her in the pound, so I took her. She is the most calm cool and collect dog I have ever owner "Owner Ha" but she got her first haircut which her sister hated. She sat and was cut tne groomed sister saw this and mimiced her. So I no more battles with the sister.

Forum List

Back