Does Windchill affect cars?

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
Please only answer if you're sure; I've wondered about this a long time.
My battery is getting tired. One day a couple weeks ago when it had been sitting out in a parking lot all day, the air temp was 18 but the windchill had been below zero all day. That afternoon is the worst it's sounded yet, getting it turned over. It was 12 in my garage this morning and the car started with much less complaint than that afternoon. Does windchill affect cars?

My battery is getting tired. One day a couple weeks ago when it had been sitting out in a parking lot all day, the air temp was 18 but the windchill had been below zero all day. That afternoon is the worst it's sounded yet, getting it turned over. It was 12 in my garage this morning and the car started with much less complaint than that afternoon. Does windchill affect cars?
I don't believe so. If it does at all, it's a very small effect.
Feature: Does the wind chill affect your car? - Autos.ca
Old batteries behave oddly. One day it'll be fine, and the next, you need a jump start. Day after that - it's fine again. The only thing that's consistent is that the bad behavior will get more frequent until it flat out won't hold a charge.
Your best bet is to take your car over to a local Auto Zone, Advance Auto, or whatever and get your charging system checked. The two I named will do it for free, it only takes a few minutes, and they'll change out your battery for free if you end up buying one there.

Wind chill is how the temperature "feels" to our skin. Actual temperature is measured on the thermometer. Your battery has a CCA (cold cranking amps) rating on it. As your battery wears out, a slight drop in termperature and it will not start. I slight increase and it may.

Old batteries behave oddly. One day it'll be fine, and the next, you need a jump start. Day after that - it's fine again. The only thing that's consistent is that the bad behavior will get more frequent until it flat out won't hold a charge.
Your best bet is to take your car over to a local Auto Zone, Advance Auto, or whatever and get your charging system checked. The two I named will do it for free, it only takes a few minutes, and they'll change out your battery for free if you end up buying one there.
Appointment with the mechanic tomorrow. No Auto-anythings in under 100 miles, unfortunately. I really appreciate the article. My battery just has moods, like me. Thank you very much!

Appointment with the mechanic tomorrow. No Auto-anythings in under 100 miles, unfortunately. I really appreciate the article. My battery just has moods, like me. Thank you very much!
Just be lucky you don't have to water them like you use to...

Let them know the ratings on your battery, so they have one ready for you.

Not a problem. :)
My father was an auto mechanic for... forever, and I've been doing most of my own work for 20+ years. Always happy to help.

There was a time that was true (the maintenance-free batteries), but it seems that it's going back to the add-water types. My last two had provision for adding water. In my opinion, they last longer when you can keep them topped up.
Still, one doesn't have to add water nearly as much today as one used to.

OMG, I do remember that.

My battery just has moods, like me. Thank you very much!
Is it on a float charger? If it isn't getting fully charged on the road it will have a very hard time. Put it on a float charger nightly and it will be topped off in the mornings.
The reason I'm thinking (hoping) it's not a recharge problem is because it only groans at me when it is quite cold. It has been so unseasonably warm this winter that the past couple weeks are the first test it's had this year.

My battery just has moods, like me. Thank you very much!
Is it on a float charger? If it isn't getting fully charged on the road it will have a very hard time. Put it on a float charger nightly and it will be topped off in the mornings.
The reason I'm thinking (hoping) it's not a recharge problem is because it only groans at me when it is quite cold. It has been so unseasonably warm this winter that the past couple weeks are the first test it's had this year.
A float charger keeps it topped off. But as mentioned it needs a healthy amount of juice all the way to the starter. Even then it could be the starter.

A float charger is a trickle charger, small that monitors the battery at keeps it at full charge. You can get a Schumacher for around $20. They greatly increase the life of a battery if it sits too much. BUT there are gel batteries too so you have to look and match up. Ask your mechanic.

Yes.

Forum List

Back