Do you live near one of these neighborhoods?

from someone's blog--I would generally agree.

<We do have a few bad neighborhoods, and it's sometimes easy to drive into the wrong area. Just be aware of your surroundings. Here is a list of neighborhoods to watch out for.

The only *really bad* place in Atlanta is a neighborhood called the bluff. I'm pretty street-savvy and even I won't drive through there in the daytime. Its location is immediately west of Northside Drive (US Highway 19), bordered by Donald L. Hollowell (Bankhead Hwy) on the north, and Joseph Boone (Simpson Street) on the south. If you've seen the show "The Walking Dead", it's like that in real life. Huge heroin hub, mostly abandoned houses, and really narrow creepy streets, some of them are dirt roads. There is a really bad vibe emanating from this place, it even looks dark in the daytime— it's like a third world country. Believe it or not, it's full of historic homes and buildings. Hopefully someday it will be a nice place. But it's not now. So don't go.

Fortunately, this neighborhood is pretty small and self-contained. There are neighborhoods within a half mile of this that are actually pretty safe. The rest of the neighborhoods I'm going to mention, you won't get shot or anything, but they aren't the nicest places to go and there's a lot of burglary and property crime.

Most people avoid the entire westside of Atlanta north of 20 and south of 75. This is a bit drastic, but I would caution that when you're in downtown, you definitely do not want to go west of Northside Drive. There are parts of the westside that are really nice, but it's easy to get lost since we're not on a grid, so I would just avoid it. The westside around 285 is generally okay.

The second place to avoid is a small section of Boulevard, which is what Monroe Drive turns into if you head south— this is around the Atlanta Medical Center. It's really not all that bad to drive through, but I wouldn't get out and walk. If you keep heading south Boulevard gets nice again.

The third place is the triangle formed by interstate 20 east, interstate 75 south, and 285, or Southeast Atlanta. Generally, don't go too far south of I-20 or you get into kind of a rough area. Grant Park, East Atlanta, these neighbourhoods are very safe. But much further south, not so much.

The fourth area is Southwest Atlanta. Parts of this area are rough, such as directly south of I-20 and west of I-75/85— this is where Mechanicsville and Pittsburgh (the place where the guy got beat up for being gay) are.

West End is borderline, Capitol View was getting nicer but the recession has set that back some. College Park used to be bad, but is now almost entirely safe. Parts of East Point you will want to avoid, but much of it is nice. Roads to avoid are Metropolitan Parkway (or Stewart Avenue) and parts of Campbellton Road and all of University Avenue.

I know this sounds like a boatload of places to avoid, but it's not all that much— the city of Atlanta proper has around 300 neighborhoods and there are only a handful that are not safe. Overall, a lot of places that used to be dangerous are now very nice and walkable. Atlanta has really seen a revitalization in the last few years, and it is a wonderful place to live, with our violent crime rate having dropped 40%, and all of the projects having been torn down.>

from someone's blog--I would generally agree.

<We do have a few bad neighborhoods, and it's sometimes easy to drive into the wrong area. Just be aware of your surroundings. Here is a list of neighborhoods to watch out for.

The only *really bad* place in Atlanta is a neighborhood called the bluff. I'm pretty street-savvy and even I won't drive through there in the daytime. Its location is immediately west of Northside Drive (US Highway 19), bordered by Donald L. Hollowell (Bankhead Hwy) on the north, and Joseph Boone (Simpson Street) on the south. If you've seen the show "The Walking Dead", it's like that in real life. Huge heroin hub, mostly abandoned houses, and really narrow creepy streets, some of them are dirt roads. There is a really bad vibe emanating from this place, it even looks dark in the daytime— it's like a third world country. Believe it or not, it's full of historic homes and buildings. Hopefully someday it will be a nice place. But it's not now. So don't go.

Fortunately, this neighborhood is pretty small and self-contained. There are neighborhoods within a half mile of this that are actually pretty safe. The rest of the neighborhoods I'm going to mention, you won't get shot or anything, but they aren't the nicest places to go and there's a lot of burglary and property crime.

Most people avoid the entire westside of Atlanta north of 20 and south of 75. This is a bit drastic, but I would caution that when you're in downtown, you definitely do not want to go west of Northside Drive. There are parts of the westside that are really nice, but it's easy to get lost since we're not on a grid, so I would just avoid it. The westside around 285 is generally okay.

The second place to avoid is a small section of Boulevard, which is what Monroe Drive turns into if you head south— this is around the Atlanta Medical Center. It's really not all that bad to drive through, but I wouldn't get out and walk. If you keep heading south Boulevard gets nice again.

The third place is the triangle formed by interstate 20 east, interstate 75 south, and 285, or Southeast Atlanta. Generally, don't go too far south of I-20 or you get into kind of a rough area. Grant Park, East Atlanta, these neighbourhoods are very safe. But much further south, not so much.

The fourth area is Southwest Atlanta. Parts of this area are rough, such as directly south of I-20 and west of I-75/85— this is where Mechanicsville and Pittsburgh (the place where the guy got beat up for being gay) are.

West End is borderline, Capitol View was getting nicer but the recession has set that back some. College Park used to be bad, but is now almost entirely safe. Parts of East Point you will want to avoid, but much of it is nice. Roads to avoid are Metropolitan Parkway (or Stewart Avenue) and parts of Campbellton Road and all of University Avenue.

I know this sounds like a boatload of places to avoid, but it's not all that much— the city of Atlanta proper has around 300 neighborhoods and there are only a handful that are not safe. Overall, a lot of places that used to be dangerous are now very nice and walkable. Atlanta has really seen a revitalization in the last few years, and it is a wonderful place to live, with our violent crime rate having dropped 40%, and all of the projects having been torn down.>

I wouldn't take the family but their is no city that I would fear going into alone

Last edited:
I really don't care if the gang bangers kills each other. They are rabid animals.

If these big cities had a healthy economy do you think gangs would still be a major problem? If kids had things to do we could weed out the problem.

It has less to do with the economy and much more to do with lack of strong nuclear families. Boys need dads.

Kids (with dads) in the suburbs get just as bored as kids do in the inner cities...but they don't form gangs to kill each other.

I've worked in city maintained housing in Charlotte they usually have one or two shootings a week. It doesn't faze me I say armed 24 7

I just stay away. I will drive down Boulevard--have taken a few wrong turns and knew how to get out of the area as fast as I could. 'They' can tell me things have improved as much as they want to. Get off the MARTA at Five Points and you put on your--'face'/I am in no mood to talk to anyone and head straight to wherever you are going. Please.

Aside from that --the DeKalb PD headquarters is located across from Northlake Mall--lots of crime goes on there. No sense in talking about it--when they tore down the projects the population shifted. We deal with it. The entire metro area deals with it.

I really don't care if the gang bangers kills each other. They are rabid animals.

If these big cities had a healthy economy do you think gangs would still be a major problem? If kids had things to do we could weed out the problem.

It has less to do with the economy and much more to do with lack of strong nuclear families. Boys need dads.

Kids (with dads) in the suburbs get just as bored as kids do in the inner cities...but they don't form gangs to kill each other.

Kids with dads yes but the dad must be a father and give good examples
Tommy view on single mother's has another point to make

[ame=http://youtu.be/xWNFLEvj4bA]Beautiful Mixed Child Gets Poundcaked By Darkies As Parents Watch & Do Nothing! - YouTube[/ame]

Yes, they would. It doesn't matter how healthy the economy is, if you're on public assistance, you don't look for work or you'll lose your benefits. They would rather make money illegally and under the table than lose their free ride on the EBT Express. They can always supplement that income by dealing drugs and other illegal activities like prostitution and gambling.

Last edited:
You don't speak for me son so don't eve try it.
If you think it's about race spit it out and say it.
I still thinks its either failed gun control or democratic run cities.
One or the other.

I'm sure poverty and shitty schools has nothing to do with it.

Some of those area schools have had billions of dollars pumped into them. You can't keep putting billions of dollars worth of band-aids to cover up a severed arm and expect to serve.

Doesn't really matter how much money has been "pumped into them" if they are still shitty schools.

Forum List

Back