Do You Believe That God Has Many Different Forms, Or Do You Only Believe In One Religion?

No you are trying to get me to agree with your definition of spirituality.
Wrong. Why would I even expect you to agree with me? You have your perspective, and I (after having talks with Buddhists) have mine. The discussions with them were better than the one you have offered me, so it is time to move on.

PS: For me, discussions are AWAYS about sharing differing perspectives and NEVER about expecting or even wanting those with different perspectives to "agree". Have a good day.

There doesn't need to be a belief in a higher power for one to engage in spiritual pursuits.
Can you give an example of a spiritual pursuit that is not related to a higher power or spirit of some sort? Because it seems to me you are confusing spirituality with self improvement.

The teachings of Buddhism, the words of the Buddha and the basis for the teachings of the monks, can be found in the sacred texts which are known collectively as the Tripitaka. For Buddhists, sacred texts are the most important source of authority. They contain teachings of the Buddha on how to reach enlightenment (spiritual) as well as teachings to help guide Buddhists in their everyday life (self improvement).

In Buddhism enlightenment releases a person from the cycle of rebirth. If you do not believe in rebirth (which you have claimed before), there is no spiritual element for you by becoming enlightened. As rebirth is predicated upon your spirit being reborn.

Can you give an example of a spiritual pursuit that is not related to a higher power or spirit of some sort? Because it seems to me you are confusing spirituality with self improvement.

The teachings of Buddhism, the words of the Buddha and the basis for the teachings of the monks, can be found in the sacred texts which are known collectively as the Tripitaka. For Buddhists, sacred texts are the most important source of authority. They contain teachings of the Buddha on how to reach enlightenment (spiritual) as well as teachings to help guide Buddhists in their everyday life (self improvement).

In Buddhism enlightenment releases a person from the cycle of rebirth. If you do not believe in rebirth (which you have claimed before), there is no spiritual element for you by becoming enlightened. As rebirth is predicated upon your spirit being reborn.
I already explained this.

The Buddhist concepts of anatta or no self. If there is no self there can be no ego , no self improvement.

And the Buddhist concept of rebirth has nothing to do with souls and spirits as Buddhists do not believe there is a soul.

Buddhists don't actually want rebirth but rather to break the cycle of rebirth through enlightenment.

Reincarnation is not a Buddhist concept.

The idea that you are impermanent and that there is no self contradicts rebirth. here is nothing of you that remains to be reborn.

There is no permanent unchanging spirit that can be considered Self Soul or Ego.

certainly, as an abnormality.

if mentality were the case the spiritual content of physiology would be so ill defined as to render all beings without a sentient existence at all. evolution would be without variation and directionless.
There is no spiritual content to physiology.

I already explained this.

The Buddhist concepts of anatta or no self. If there is no self there can be no ego , no self improvement.

And the Buddhist concept of rebirth has nothing to do with souls and spirits as Buddhists do not believe there is a soul.

Buddhists don't actually want rebirth but rather to break the cycle of rebirth through enlightenment.

Reincarnation is not a Buddhist concept.

The idea that you are impermanent and that there is no self contradicts rebirth. here is nothing of you that remains to be reborn.

There is no permanent unchanging spirit that can be considered Self Soul or Ego.
That doesn't even come close to answering my question. Nor does it explain how you can be spiritual without a spirit. Especially when the sole purpose of enlightenment is to escape the cycle of reincarnation.

Try again but this time actually provide an example of a spiritual pursuit that is not related to a higher power or spirit of some sort. That is what you claimed in post #109, right?

Last edited:
Buddhist concept of rebirth has nothing to do with souls and spirits as Buddhists do not believe there is a soul.
I'm not sure what you think Buddhists believe is being reincarnated if it's not a soul or spirit. What exactly is being reborn? Cause it sounds like you are playing word games.

But whatever it is that you think they think is being reborn, you don't believe it which is why you can never be spiritual in the first place. Which is probably why you can't provide a single example of a spiritual pursuit that is not related to a higher power or spirit of some sort.

That doesn't even come close to answering my question. Nor does it explain how you can be spiritual without a spirit. Especially when the sole purpose of enlightenment is to escape the cycle of reincarnation. I"m not sure what you think Buddhists believe is being reincarnated if it's not a soul or spirit.

Try again but this time actually provide an example of a spiritual pursuit that is not related to a higher power or spirit of some sort. Cause I don't believe you can't do it.
Reincarnation is a Hindu thing

Reincarnation is defined as the transmigration of a soul to another body after death (O'Brien, “Rebirth”). This understanding of reincarnation is not a teaching of the Buddha, as the Buddha taught an important doctrine called the Anatman. This doctrine taught that there is no self or no soul in the sense of a permanent being within an individual existence. What we think of as our identity, our characteristics, and ego are short term creations that do not remain after death, therefore, there is no rebirth of a soul from life to life in an endless cycle (O'Brien, “Rebirth”). Buddhism focuses on the rebirth or renewal of the illusion of "me" that individuals have. In every moment an individual is born, decayed, and dead, the illusion of "me" or the five skandhas are constantly renewed through this cycle. Each moment creates a new version of an individual, as nothing in life is permanent and circumstances are always shifting (O'Brien, Rebirth). Each of these moments can be thought of as a domino effect, as each thought-moment creates the next and so on. From moment to moment, beings experience different conscious states of mind. These conscious states of mind are reborn and they are determined as a result of one's karma. It is a process of actions and reaction, karma brings out rebirth.

I'm not sure what you think Buddhists believe is being reincarnated if it's not a soul or spirit. What exactly is being reborn? Cause it sounds like you are playing word games.

But whatever it is that you think they think is being reborn, you don't believe it which is why you can never be spiritual in the first place. Which is probably why you can't provide a single example of a spiritual pursuit that is not related to a higher power or spirit of some sort.
If there is no soul there can be no reincarnation.

people are reborn every second both physiologically and mentally.

Change your thinking and you experience a rebirth. Impermanence implies a constant cycle of death and rebirth.

When your body dies your constituent atoms will be recycled into something else that is neither like nor unlike the form before.

Reincarnation is a Hindu thing

Reincarnation is defined as the transmigration of a soul to another body after death (O'Brien, “Rebirth”). This understanding of reincarnation is not a teaching of the Buddha, as the Buddha taught an important doctrine called the Anatman. This doctrine taught that there is no self or no soul in the sense of a permanent being within an individual existence. What we think of as our identity, our characteristics, and ego are short term creations that do not remain after death, therefore, there is no rebirth of a soul from life to life in an endless cycle (O'Brien, “Rebirth”). Buddhism focuses on the rebirth or renewal of the illusion of "me" that individuals have. In every moment an individual is born, decayed, and dead, the illusion of "me" or the five skandhas are constantly renewed through this cycle. Each moment creates a new version of an individual, as nothing in life is permanent and circumstances are always shifting (O'Brien, Rebirth). Each of these moments can be thought of as a domino effect, as each thought-moment creates the next and so on. From moment to moment, beings experience different conscious states of mind. These conscious states of mind are reborn and they are determined as a result of one's karma. It is a process of actions and reaction, karma brings out rebirth.
What is being reborn?

If there is no soul there can be no reincarnation.

people are reborn every second both physiologically and mentally.

Change your thinking and you experience a rebirth. Impermanence implies a constant cycle of death and rebirth.

When your body dies your constituent atoms will be recycled into something else that is neither like nor unlike the form before.
So when someone reaches enlightenment their atoms cease being recycled into something else?

That sounds pretty dumb. And it violates the FLoT.

Can you reconcile these two statements? Because apparently you believe Buddhists want to become enlightened so that when their body dies their atoms won't be recycled into something else. That doesn't make much sense to me.

What is being reborn?
So when someone reaches enlightenment their atoms cease being recycled into something else?

That sounds pretty dumb. And it violates the FLoT.
There is no sprit that gets reborn. There is no soul, no self, no ego.

The contradictions that exist in all things are more an artifact of the deficiency of translation and the failure to grasp some of the more esoteric meanings of the same word in different cultures. You stick to your definition of rebirth as if a definition or use of a word never changes. But in reality we see that definitions are as impermanent as everything else and that is compounded by imperfect translations of both definitions both denotive and connotative

In my studies I have heard different interpretations.

Some say it is remnants of consciousness that get reborn but the problem there is that consciousness is impermanent.

Some say that your actions, patterns of behavior and thoughts leave impressions on your constituent atoms much like a tool leaves unique marks on an object or the barrel of a gun leaves rifling marks on a bullet and it is these small but unique patterns that are carried to the next being or object that will eventually incorporate what was once your physical body.

That last one seems to me to be the least contradictive.

Rebirth is one of the foundational doctrines of Buddhism, along with karma, Nirvana and moksha. ... Other Buddhist traditions such as Tibetan Buddhism posit an interim existence (bardo) between death and rebirth, which may last as many as 49 days. This belief drives Tibetan funerary rituals.

Rebirth in Buddhism refers to the teaching that the actions of a person lead to a new existence after death, in an endless cycle called saṃsāra.[1][2] This cycle is considered to be dukkha, unsatisfactory and painful. The cycle stops only if moksha (liberation) is achieved by insight and the extinguishing of craving.[3][4] Rebirth is one of the foundational doctrines of Buddhism, along with karma, Nirvana and moksha.[1][3][5]

The rebirth doctrine, sometimes referred to as reincarnation or transmigration, asserts that rebirth does not necessarily take place as another human being, but can also lead to an existence in one of the six realms of existence, which also include heaven realms, the animal realm, the ghost realm and hell realms.[4][6][note 1] Rebirth, as stated by various Buddhist traditions, is determined by karma, with good realms favored by kushala (good or skillful karma), while a rebirth in evil realms is a consequence of akushala (bad karma).[4] While nirvana is the ultimate goal of Buddhist teaching, much of traditional Buddhist practice has been centered on gaining merit and merit transfer, whereby one gains rebirth in the good realms and avoids rebirth in the evil realms.[4][8][9][note 2]

The rebirth doctrine has been a subject of scholarly studies within Buddhism since ancient times, particularly in reconciling the rebirth doctrine with its anti-essentialist anatman (not-self) doctrine.[4][3][10] The various Buddhist traditions throughout history have disagreed on what it is in a person that is reborn, as well as how quickly the rebirth occurs after each death.[4][9]

Some Buddhist traditions assert that vijñana (consciousness), though constantly changing, exists as a continuum or stream (santana) and is what undergoes rebirth.[4][11][12] Some traditions like Theravada assert that rebirth occurs immediately and that no "thing" (not even consciousness) moves across lives to be reborn (though there is a causal link, like when a seal is imprinted on wax). Other Buddhist traditions such as Tibetan Buddhism posit an interim existence (bardo) between death and rebirth, which may last as many as 49 days. This belief drives Tibetan funerary rituals.[4][13] A now defunct Buddhist tradition called Pudgalavada asserted there was an inexpressible personal entity (pudgala) which migrates from one life to another.[4]

Forum List

Back