Do most Americans have German surnames?

Mortimer

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2010
Kings of Con
Because of the Rittenhouse case, I saw some names like Grosskreutz, Rittenhouse, Huber, etc. and all of them are German or possibly Ashkenazi (Ashkenazis have somewhat strange sounding German names). So do most Americans have German surnames? Is a german surname a typical american surname?

Because of the Rittenhouse case, I saw some names like Grosskreutz, Rittenhouse, Huber, etc. and all of them are German or possibly Ashkenazi (Ashkenazis have somewhat strange sounding German names). So do most Americans have German surnames? Is a german surname a typical american surname?

Most Common US Surnames By Rank​

RankSurnameSurname OriginEstimated Population
1SmithEnglish2,442,977
2JohnsonEnglish, Scottish1,932,812
3WilliamsEnglish, Welsh1,625,252
4BrownEnglish, Scottish, Irish1,437,026
5JonesEnglish, Welsh1,425,470
6GarciaSpanish1,166,120
7MillerEnglish, Scottish, German, French, Italian1,161,437
8DavisEnglish, Welsh1,116,357
9RodriguezSpanish1,094,924
10MartinezSpanish1,060,159

It’s a common misconception that most white Americans are of German origin.

In polls, German is the single largest self identified origin among white Americans.

*But* a large portion of white Americans with English surnames (Johnson, Smith, etc) self identify origin as “American”, not “English”. Most Americans with German surnames identify as German.

Also, British surnames are split into English, Scottish, Welsh. Whereas all Austrian, Prussian, Bravarian, whatever surnames simply fall under “German”.

Thus, the results of polls are skewed to over represent Germans and under represent English. The single largest ethnicity of origin in the USA is, indeed, English.

All that said, my ancestry is almost pure German (Austrian) and I’m proud of it. Everyone should be proud of their heritage.

A lot of people involved were German.

Rosenbaum, Rittenhouse, Grosskruetz, Huber, Little Binger, Judge Schroder.

Way more Germans in the middle states
More Irish in the South
More Italians in the East

No, and you could just google the damn answer!

Most Americans have English surnames and not German!

Yeah, but read my initial post.

TLDR: Many, if not most, Americans of English heritage list their heritage as “American” instead of “English”.

There aren’t really any white Americans who can say their ethnic heritage is “American”. If you’re white, you obviously came from Europe.

Look at that map in the article you linked. See how most of the South responded to the survey saying their heritage is “American”? Of course it isn’t. The only people with “American” heritage are the Native Americans. Most of the white people in the South are of English descent. Or British.

Add them to the other “English” respondents, and they outnumber the Germans.

Yeah, but read my initial post.

TLDR: Many, if not most, Americans of English heritage list their heritage as “American” instead of “English”.

There aren’t really any white Americans who can say their ethnic heritage is “American”. If you’re white, you obviously came from Europe.

Look at that map in the article you linked. See how most of the South responded to the survey saying their heritage is “American”? Of course it isn’t. The only people with “American” heritage are the Native Americans. Most of the white people in the South are of English heritage.
You're speculating.

You're speculating.
Well, we can agree they’re not really of “American” descent. Unless there’s *way* more injuns in the South then we thought.

And since most Southerners (white Southerners, anyway) have English surnames….. it’s not much of a leap.

Well, we can agree they’re not really of “American” descent. Unless there’s *way* more injuns in the South then we thought.

And since most Southerners (white Southerners, anyway) have English surnames….. it’s not much of a leap.
You're speculating.

So do we just go ahead and let all those white people in the South be counted as “American”? Again, look at that map.

Relatively few German Americans settled in the old south.
You're wrong, and you're still speculating.

You're wrong, and you're still speculating.
But really, what about all the white people who claim American heritage?

They’re clearly not American (in terms of heritage), so which ethnic group should we ascribe them to?

Forum List

Back