Zone1 Do Atheists Implicitly Believe in "God"?

Imagine there is no "god." Imagine there is no afterlife...no reward for a life of virtue and no punishment for a life of evil. Imagine that you do not believe that humans are somehow "children of god" or intrinsically more "valuable" than animals and plants.

Now given this set of non-beliefs, would you care about thousands of people being killed on the other side of the world - people whom you do not know, and nobody you ever encounter would know? If so, why?

Would you care about the carnage that goes on in our inner cities every weekend?

Would you care about any tragedies that don't affect you or your posse? Why?

If you do care about these things, please explain.

Sure atheists have great faith in G-d,
so much their disbelief in religiosity
is preparation for much wider
relationship with the ideal.

I think the point the OP is making is that by atheists refusing to abandon the concept of fairness - even though they claim there is no higher purpose of fairness - it proves they really do believe there is a higher purpose of fairness.
Fairness is just a concept we invented. Everyone observes their own, subjective idea of it.

Horse manure. Religion is rife with those who are afraid not to believe. Islamic countries will not hang atheists as they do homosexuals. Ostracization while alive in the society is a much more violent death. America is not far evolved from this violence done to those with courage who are not buying any protection racket based on coercion, fear, guilt or troubled spirit whose avatars are illusory non-existent entities.

I’m not following the relevance to what I said.

There are two types of Atheist -

The one that just gets on with their life.

The one that suffers Religiophobia and must prattle on trying to be the religious expert.

There are those atheist m that live their life as devout Christians because it makes the most social sense.

That's called a bigoted stereotype. It's like me assuming that because you're a Christian - you're also dangling from Trump's testicles. But that's a totally unfair insult.
The vast majority, 69%, of atheists vote Democrat. Deny that.

whats the difference between atheism and the personification of a deity when the supposed deity has yet to ever appear and prove their existence.

- no difference whatsoever, simply religious text based on nothing at all ... the desert religions.
If you're looking for Jesus to appear at Times Square at 12:00 noon as proof, you aren't going to find it. To atheists, it has to be that obvious to 'count'. But few things in life are obvious. Mankind knows the tiniest fraction of things there are to know. We don't even know what we don't know. With things like black holes, we can't see them; we can only observe the vast effect they have on their surroundings. And so it is with God. The best proof of God is the great actions of those who are most like Jesus in their actions. They are able to accomplish phenomenal acts of good. The canonized saints are examples.

Imagine there is no "god." Imagine there is no afterlife...no reward for a life of virtue and no punishment for a life of evil. Imagine that you do not believe that humans are somehow "children of god" or intrinsically more "valuable" than animals and plants.

Atheism has nothing to do with whether humans are more valuable than other animals and plants.

Now given this set of non-beliefs, would you care about thousands of people being killed on the other side of the world - people whom you do not know, and nobody you ever encounter would know? If so, why?
No. I don't believe in any universalist morality. Other atheists might, but I don't. In truth nobody cares about what happens to people they don't know unless they can use it as an opportunity to virtue signal. Do you mourn the death of every person on the planet? No, of course you don't.

Would you care about the carnage that goes on in our inner cities every weekend?
No. Those people are not in my tribe. And once again, you don't mourn their deaths either.
Would you care about any tragedies that don't affect you or your posse? Why?
Depends what you mean by posse. How many funerals of perfect strangers do you attend every day?

If you do care about these things, please explain.
What you mean to say is that if you pretend to care about these things, please explain. Maybe the better question is why people claim to follow a morality that, in practice, they don't.

That's not what I said. Of course people can do the right thing without believing in God.

What we're saying is, who decides what is "right" or not right? Most atheists claim that morality is subjective. Again, if it's subjective then there's no such thing as a true right or wrong. That's one of the problems with atheism, it simply cannot account for an objective right / wrong.
What benefits the tribe is good and what harms the tribe is evil. Fantasies about the afterlife or pretensions to empathy have nothing to do with objective morality. Humans and other animals form tribes/herds/packs/etc. for the purpose of improving the survival rates of members. Morality is simply a set of behaviors that evolve to maximize survival.

Forum List

Back