Do atheist obey God?

So which God did you decide it was? All of them in one? Or do you still think all the religious texts are bullshit? Honest question.
Well, I went from one extreme to another for a little while. I went from a militant atheist to someone who thought he knew God's will for everyone.

So I spent a few years make a complete ass of myself. I thought my will and God's will were the same. This inevitably led to a huge disappointment and I became suicidal.

Over the years, I have pared my understanding of God down to the bare bones. For the purpose of just communicating, I say Him. And I also say Father because I have children and I knew they were not going to be perfect even before I created them. Nevertheless, when they make mistakes, it does not change the way I feel about them. I might yell at them, but I always make sure they understand I love them. I have a long story about that which I won't go into right now.

Anyway, since I was raised a Christian before I rejected all beliefs, I do attend a Christian church. As I moved around in the military, I would find a new church and I always made a point of letting the pastor know that when I had my white light experience, "I did not get the Jesus package". They appreciate my honesty.

I have made no decision about whether or not Jesus is a deity. After all, I was completely wrong about there not being a God.

Here's a funny thing. My brain was completely rewired by the white light. Before that moment, whenever I picked up the Bible all I could see was contradictions and a very cruel and vindictive God. After the white light experience, the Bible suddenly made complete sense and has been a huge comfort to me.

The first time I read the Bible after the while light experience, I was laughing my ass off because it read so differently.

Just for fun, I once took one of those quizzes which tells you what kind of believer you are. I turned out to be a Sikh!!!

I'll have to drop in on them sometime. :lol:

So which God did you decide it was? All of them in one? Or do you still think all the religious texts are bullshit? Honest question.
A little more elaboration.

I found my current church through happenstance. A friend I was helping told me he was going to be baptized at his church, so I went to observe and support.

I got there too late for his baptism. I did not know they did that before the service starts. But since I was in the church, I felt it would be awkward to just turn and walk out. I still wanted to congratulate my friend, too.

So I stuck around for the sermon, and the preacher knocked my socks off. I attended that church for the next 12 years and I became close friends with the pastor.

This is going to sound funny, but I had no idea for the first ten years that this was a Pentacostal church. I tell people it is Pentacostal Lite. No one speaks in tongues, or rolls around on the floor. It's all very whitebread.

But a few years ago, I was going through the most difficult personal challenges of my life and so I joined a book study group at the church. In that small gathering, these people started revealing their whacked out beliefs. One woman scared me so much I approached the pastor later and told him she needed psychiatric help immediately.

This a new pastor. The old pastor suddenly retired without explanation before that.

Anyway, the new pastor fired two friends of mine who were in service positions. He fired them because they were living together and weren't married. This had been no problem with the old pastor.

Then he started putting homophobic remarks in his sermons.

Then he fired one of my kids' youth group volunteers because she came out as gay. Her sexuality was an open secret! Everyone already knew.

But, you know, that brand of religion is entitled to their own dogma and if you want to be a part of their church, you have to believe what they believe.

So I quit that church after they fired that poor kid.

The congregation quickly shrank to a third its size.

Another reason I quit that church is because they were all die-hard Trumpists. I simply could not understand how they could support such a thoroughly corrupt and unrepentant immoral pussy grabbing creep.

So I am currently without a congregation.

I guess I'll have to see if there are any Sikh temples around.

For those of you who are atheist I have a question. Would you obey God if He told you to do something? And would you start believing in Him after He spoke to you?
How do you know it's God talking? And who are you to claim you know better than anyone else?

A little more elaboration.

I found my current church through happenstance. A friend I was helping told me he was going to be baptized at his church, so I went to observe and support.

I got there too late for his baptism. I did not know they did that before the service starts. But since I was in the church, I felt it would be awkward to just turn and walk out. I still wanted to congratulate my friend, too.

So I stuck around for the sermon, and the preacher knocked my socks off. I attended that church for the next 12 years and I became close friends with the pastor.

This is going to sound funny, but I had no idea for the first ten years that this was a Pentacostal church. I tell people it is Pentacostal Lite. No one speaks in tongues, or rolls around on the floor. It's all very whitebread.

But a few years ago, I was going through the most difficult personal challenges of my life and so I joined a book study group at the church. In that small gathering, these people started revealing their whacked out beliefs. One woman scared me so much I approached the pastor later and told him she needed psychiatric help immediately.

This a new pastor. The old pastor suddenly retired without explanation before that.

Anyway, the new pastor fired two friends of mine who were in service positions. He fired them because they were living together and weren't married. This had been no problem with the old pastor.

Then he started putting homophobic remarks in his sermons.

Then he fired one of my kids' youth group volunteers because she came out as gay. Her sexuality was an open secret! Everyone already knew.

But, you know, that brand of religion is entitled to their own dogma and if you want to be a part of their church, you have to believe what they believe.

So I quit that church after they fired that poor kid.

The congregation quickly shrank to a third its size.

Another reason I quit that church is because they were all die-hard Trumpists. I simply could not understand how they could support such a thoroughly corrupt and unrepentant immoral pussy grabbing creep.

I guess I'll have to see if there are any Sikh temples around.
Thanks.

Heh. I just googled for a Sikh temple near me. There is one about 45 minutes away but all the review comments are in a foreign language. :lol:

Probably Punjabi.

If you are uncertain about Jesus, you may want to look into a Jewish synagogue. If nothing else, they have a beautiful understanding of the Old Testament (aka, Hebrew Bible). Also having conversations with your friends who are people of faith may give you insight into other Christian denominations.

If you are uncertain about Jesus, you may want to look into a Jewish synagogue. If nothing else, they have a beautiful understanding of the Old Testament (aka, Hebrew Bible). Also having conversations with your friends who are people of faith may give you insight into other Christian denominations.
Most of the people who left my church have joined a megachurch down the road. I don't trust megachurches.

And I like bacon way too much to be a Jew.

it's a desert monopoly -

which church is there that refutes tablets etched in the heavens w/ 10 commandments that never existed - non.

or practices the 1st century events of liberation theology, self determination those people died for - non, as the initial journey chosen by a&e for their earned admission to the everlasting.

and not to mention - the prescribed religion of antiquity all three desert religions have abandoned - the triumph of good vs evil - the judgement necessary for admission to the heavens.

I called myself a Christian for most of my life. I was even a deacon for a while. In depth study of the bible is what caused the rejection of most of the things I took on faith for so long. You're very wrong when you say I never read the bible.

Yeah I read the Bible three times and become more atheist each time I read it. I even plan to read it again. I think every atheist should read the Bible. Christians should never read the Bible if they want to keep their faith. The Bible gives too many clues on how to be powerful over loyal idiots. If I actually utilized the power contained within the scriptures I could be an extremely wealthy man. I’m just not evil enough.

I have come to the conclusion that “God” exists but “God” is a metaphor for powerful humans. If you be like the God in the Bible you can be rich as crap. If you suck up to people who behave like the God in the Bible then you can have a successful career. God describes himself to Moses as, “I Am”. This is a huge part of the Bible. The way it is is just the way it is. The people who are in charge are in charge. It just is. It requires no explanation.

The point of my rambling is, if you be like God people will hate your guts but you’ll be powerful and wealthy.

Yeah I read the Bible three times and become more atheist each time I read it. I even plan to read it again. I think every atheist should read the Bible. Christians should never read the Bible if they want to keep their faith. The Bible gives too many clues on how to be powerful over loyal idiots. If I actually utilized the power contained within the scriptures I could be an extremely wealthy man. I’m just not evil enough.

I have come to the conclusion that “God” exists but “God” is a metaphor for powerful humans. If you be like the God in the Bible you can be rich as crap. If you suck up to people who behave like the God in the Bible then you can have a successful career. God describes himself to Moses as, “I Am”. This is a huge part of the Bible. The way it is is just the way it is. The people who are in charge are in charge. It just is. It requires no explanation.

The point of my rambling is, if you be like God people will hate your guts but you’ll be powerful and wealthy.

just rewrite the books without the evil, beginning with humanities deemed sense of superiority - and removal of the tablets etched in heaven with 10 commandments that never existed.

- just about every page, beginning to end - their books of forgeries and fallacies.

just rewrite the books without the evil, beginning with humanities deemed sense of superiority - and removal of the tablets etched in heaven with 10 commandments that never existed.

- just about every page, beginning to end - their books of forgeries and fallacies.
You can’t unwrite a book. The popularity of the Bible makes it impossible to erase. Believe me, people have tried.

You can’t unwrite a book. The popularity of the Bible makes it impossible to erase. Believe me, people have tried.

they've been rewriting that book since the crucifiers wrote it - they need to stop scratching the surface and begin the true quest of what was meant to be written ... remove the false 10 commandments that never existed and write true ones and see where they lead too in final resolution.

remove the paterfamilias their drug of choice ... self ingratiation.

Forum List

Back