do actors get roles based on their looks?

Auld Phart

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2013
Did Morgan Woodward get most of his roles because he Looked like a mean son of a bitch?

1713133464833.png

Charles Lane because he looked like a prune faced asshole?
1713133735277.png

William Sanderson and Tracey Walter because they looked like low IQ degenerates?

1713133889894.png

1713133998008.png

First place I remember ever seeing Dabbs Greer was as the preacher on "Little House on the Prairie", but then my TV watching habits changed and I saw him, mostly in kindly every-man roles but also in a few bad guy roles on Westerns.

1713137119946.png

But I could never accept him as a bad guy. Versatile character actor.

Last edited:
Byron Foulger
the perfect Caspar Milquetoast.

Saw him in a '40s serial, in the last episode he found out to be the criminal mastermind. Other than that? Clerks, tellers, etc

1713137716547.png

First place I remember ever seeing Dabbs Greer was as the preacher on "Little House of the Prairie", but then my TV watching habits changed and I saw him, mostly in kindly every-man roles but also in a few bad guy roles on Westerns.

View attachment 932266

played a bad guy on Adventures of Superman. and the good guy in the same episode. (twins)

Did Morgan Woodward get most of his roles because he Looked like a mean son of a bitch?

View attachment 932243

Often that matters a great deal. I have a friend who has had some TV rolls and a lot of commercials and his blessing and curse has always been that he is too wholesome looking. Hurts on the tv/movie side but has made some bank doing commercials.

First place I remember ever seeing Dabbs Greer was as the preacher on "Little House on the Prairie", but then my TV watching habits changed and I saw him, mostly in kindly every-man roles but also in a few bad guy roles on Westerns.

View attachment 932266

I believe he played the man Superman caught in mid air at the beginning of the series.

Forum List

Back