Discrimination is a fundamental human right.

Discrimination has been deemed harmful to business practice in most states.

That's exactly the problem. Once again we have government sacrificing individual rights to business interests.

You don't have any right to discriminate against people. It hurts business, which harms the state's income. The states are within THEIR right to set rules and regulations regarding how you do business. That is all there is too it. All of your whining isn't going to change a fucking thing.
That's not all there is to it. But it is an important aspect of the issue. People do have a right to choose who they like and don't like. We have a right to choose who we want to help and who we don't. We have a right to choose who we work for and who we don't. And that right shouldn't be infringed in the name of business, or state revenue.

Sure you do. Like I told you, if you want to behave like a jerk in your personal life, that's fine. Nobody cares. These people you want to discriminate against probably aren't interested in being friends with a person like you anyways. I know I wouldn't. When it comes to business associations, no you do not have that "right." Read the laws. They are clear and these laws have been in effect for a very long time. Too bad if you want to discriminate against other human beings. I don't feel any empathy for your plight. NONE.

All of life is personal, most especially what an individual chooses to do to earn a living. Our economic decisions are among the most important ways we express our personal values in society. The right to protest and refuse to accommodate those we disagree with is a crucial aspect of a self-regulating society. It's how we express our disapproval without resorting to laws and violence. Government shouldn't be in a position to decide why we can, or can't, make that call.

Nope, you are wrong. Read the law. Yes, the states have every right to make rules and regulations regarding business. If you can't handle it, don't open a business. Simple as that. Your incessant and annoying whining isn't going to change jack shit because, thankfully, the people who are in charge are much more intelligent than you.

That's exactly the problem. Once again we have government sacrificing individual rights to business interests.

You don't have any right to discriminate against people. It hurts business, which harms the state's income. The states are within THEIR right to set rules and regulations regarding how you do business. That is all there is too it. All of your whining isn't going to change a fucking thing.
That's not all there is to it. But it is an important aspect of the issue. People do have a right to choose who they like and don't like. We have a right to choose who we want to help and who we don't. We have a right to choose who we work for and who we don't. And that right shouldn't be infringed in the name of business, or state revenue.

Sure you do. Like I told you, if you want to behave like a jerk in your personal life, that's fine. Nobody cares. These people you want to discriminate against probably aren't interested in being friends with a person like you anyways. I know I wouldn't. When it comes to business associations, no you do not have that "right." Read the laws. They are clear and these laws have been in effect for a very long time. Too bad if you want to discriminate against other human beings. I don't feel any empathy for your plight. NONE.

All of life is personal, most especially what an individual chooses to do to earn a living. Our economic decisions are among the most important ways we express our personal values in society. The right to protest and refuse to accommodate those we disagree with is a crucial aspect of a self-regulating society. It's how we express our disapproval without resorting to laws and violence. Government shouldn't be in a position to decide why we can, or can't, make that call.

Nope, you are wrong. Read the law. Yes, the states have every right to make rules and regulations regarding business. If you can't handle it, don't open a business. Simple as that. Your incessant and annoying whining isn't going to change jack shit because, thankfully, the people who are in charge are much more intelligent than you.

Maybe. I suspect my "whining" will flare up every time a new "protected class" is added to the list. And each time, more and more people will question the underlying ideas involved. I suspect that even most people who support these laws recognize it's not a good general policy. They just just think it's worth it in name of ridding society of racism and bigotry. But to extend the concept further, putting government in charge of ensuring that we all treat each other equally, throws equal protection under the bus.

Maybe. I suspect my "whining" will flare up every time a new "protected class" is added to the list. And each time, more and more people will question the underlying ideas involved. I suspect that even most people who support these laws recognize it's not a good general policy. They just just think it's worth it in name of ridding society of racism and bigotry. But to extend the concept further, putting government in charge of ensuring that we all treat each other equally, throws equal protection under the bus.

I know. Life must suck for you. Lol.

Why do you say that?

Why do you say that?

Read your whiny thread. That should answer your question. Not to mention, your whole thread is based upon a lie. You do not have any right to discriminate against your fellow Americans. It's a pretty crappy thing, and you should feel ashamed of yourself, but you don't and that tells us a lot about you.

Seriously, I would feel embarrassed if I were you. You seem quite ignorant.

Listen, I can appreciate that you might be taking this personally, but I'm not. You really, really, don't know me at all. Let's just keep it about the ideas, ok?

Listen, I can appreciate that you might be taking this personally, but I'm not. You really, really, don't know me at all. Let's just keep it about the ideas, ok?

I'm sorry, anyone who thinks it is their right to discriminate against other people in this country and in this age is ignorant, IMO.

I'm sorry, anyone who thinks it is their right to discriminate against other people in this country and in this age is ignorant, IMO.

Fair enough. Likewise, IMO anyone who thinks we should try to regulate discrimination with laws isn't really thinking in through.

I don't like to indulge bigots. Most importantly, I don't think bigots should be able to impose their views on others through force, or via government. Equal rights under the law is an absolute imperative. Everyone should be treated equally by government. But to extend that idea by asking government to ensure we all treat each other equally, even if it's just in matters of commerce, even if it's just in businesses classified as "public accommodations", is asking government to take on a role that requires it to read our minds. It's asking government to peer into our thoughts and second-guess our most deeply held personal convictions - ultimately telling us which can be used to guide our actions and which can't.

The worst irony of this approach to civil rights is that it actually undermines equal rights under the law. Because we can't, in any practical way, ensure that everyone is protected from discrimination, we've taken to targeting specific kinds of discrimination, with select minorities (those with enough public support to sway the legislature) receiving special protection. Worse still, this kind of special protection will only ever be offered to minorities who have already "won" the war for equal rights, who have already achieved critical mass in swaying public opinion. Minorities who can't win majority support for their cause will still continue to suffer.

As long as these kinds of laws are on the books, I can't think of one good reason sexual preference shouldn't be added to the protected classes list to extend protection from discrimination to gays. But the thing is, if we're going to preserve any semblance of equal rights, everyone should be covered. And to do that would require a government monitoring and second-guessing our every decision. Even if we could find some way to navigate such as logistical nightmare, the resulting society would be totalitarian in the extreme and, I hope, nothing you would want to see.

Last edited:
images

However it is all right to ban drag queens....

Drag queens banned from performing at Free Pride Glasgow event over fears acts will offend trans people - Home News - UK - The Independent

...from participating in a Free Pride rally because it might offend the trans genders without it being considered discrimination.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:D

What does something happening in Glasgow have to do with this conversation?

images

Perhaps I find it humorous that a Pride rally would discriminate against another group that wants to celebrate their differences.

Is this same selective outrage being practices at Pride rallies in the United States?

I'm bettin' it will be.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

images

So if the best catering business in town is a Muslim or Jewish restaurant and I want them to prepare pork chops for my get together they're discriminating against me if they say 'no'.

*****SMILE*****

Why do you say that?

Read your whiny thread. That should answer your question. Not to mention, your whole thread is based upon a lie. You do not have any right to discriminate against your fellow Americans. It's a pretty crappy thing, and you should feel ashamed of yourself, but you don't and that tells us a lot about you.

Everyone discriminates. It just depends on what level the discrimination occurs. Some might call it freedom of association, but everyone discriminates.

Why do you say that?

Everyone discriminates. It just depends on what level the discrimination occurs. Some might call it freedom of association, but everyone discriminates.

Do you know what discrimination means? It doesn't mean choosing your friends. This is the definition of discrimination that we are using in this thread. So, you normally discriminate against people in your day to day life and/or business dealings? Do you refuse to do business with a certain "group" of people without even knowing what kind of people they might be?

dis·crim·i·na·tion
dəˌskriməˈnāSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. 1.
    the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

images

So if the best catering business in town is a Muslim or Jewish restaurant and I want them to prepare pork chops for my get together they're discriminating against me if they say 'no'.

*****SMILE*****

No, you apparently don't understand the law and how it is applied. It has nothing to DO with the product you are supplying. *sigh* I wonder how many MORE times we will have to go through this?

images

*****SMILE*****

No, you apparently don't understand the law and how it is applied. It has nothing to DO with the product you are supplying. *sigh* I wonder how many MORE times we will have to go through this?

images

You are free to attempt to explain.

While you're at it has any Jewish or Muslim bakeries in the USA ever been sued by the SSM crowd for refusing to make the product they desire?

*****SMILE*****

Last edited:

Why do you say that?

Do you know what discrimination means? It doesn't mean choosing your friends. This is the definition of discrimination that we are using in this thread. So, you normally discriminate against people in your day to day life and/or business dealings? Do you refuse to do business with a certain "group" of people without even knowing what kind of people they might be?

dis·crim·i·na·tion
dəˌskriməˈnāSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. 1.
    the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

Of course! I discriminate all the time. I am a "discriminating" person. That has always been a good thing. You don't cozy up to everything that walks through your social or business doors.

images

*****SMILE*****

images

While you're at it has any Jewish or Muslim bakeries in the USA ever been sued by the SSM crowd for refusing to make the product they desire?

*****SMILE*****

It's been explained MANY times now. It isn't about the product; it is about discriminating against a group or groups of people. The law that was referenced deals directly with discrimination which is ILLEGAL. :)

Why do you say that?

dis·crim·i·na·tion
dəˌskriməˈnāSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. 1.

Of course! I discriminate all the time. I am a "discriminating" person. That has always been a good thing. You don't cozy up to everything that walks through your social or business doors.

What you don't seem to realize is that this is YOUR problem. You try to make it into other people's problems, but your hatred is your own fault.

If your hatred prevents you from working with the PUBLIC (which is what a public accommodation business does), then don't go into business because if you discriminate against groups of people based on age, sex, sexual orientation, race, you will be breaking the law in your respective state.

images

*****SMILE*****

images

*****SMILE*****

It's been explained MANY times now. It isn't about the product; it is about discriminating against a group or groups of people. The law that was referenced deals directly with discrimination which is ILLEGAL. :)

So what you're saying is if the bakery doesn't carry the fixings to make product asked for they don't have to comply.. Otherwise the Muslims and Jews are discriminating against me because I like to eat pork and since I also like a good wine with my meal the Muslims are really discriminating against me.

*****SMILE*****

Forum List

Back