- Feb 22, 2013
- Reaction score
More of the 'do as I say, not as I do' brigade.
Democratic mayors in 20 cities that have slashed police budgets or called to defund them also use millions of taxpayers’ dollars to fund their own personal security
- The private security figures were obtained by transparency site OpenTheBooks
- They reveal that some Democratic leaders use millions for personal protection while calling for less money for their police departments
- San Francisco spent $2.6M to protect Mayor London Breed last year as she redirected $120M away from the police department
- Calls to 'defund the police' emerged during last year's protests following the killings of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor
- The divisive slogan has been questioned by Democratic party stalwarts
At least 20 mayors from cities that have called to defund the police enjoy the perks of private security at a cost to taxpayers of millions of dollars a year.
In February, San Francisco Mayor London Breed announced plans to redirect $120 million from the police department to a combination of new and existing programs.
Meanwhile, the city spent $2.6 million to protect her in 2020, a number that will likely increase this year.
Beneficiaries of publicly funded security include San Francisco Mayor London Breed, NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio, Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot and San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria.