Dilemma for EV advocates.

Advocates for EV's are also environmentalists who oppose nuclear plants. However, they surely must be aware that that is the only possible way to produce enough reliable electricity needed to power a national fleet of EV vehicles in the future. There is not enough land area for wind and solar to accomplish this, never mind the country's other growing electric energy needs.

That is a myth.

That is a myth.

The article deals with today's electric grid, which is powered by reliable fossil fuels. Also absent is the heavy vehicle (18 wheelers fully loaded) use which occurs 24/7 in America.
Diesel-Electric locomotives also need to be considered as well as construction machinery such as bulldozers, earth movers, on-site power plants, etc.

Last edited:
The article deals with today's electric grid, which is powered by reliable fossil fuels. Also absent is the heavy vehicle (18 wheelers fully loaded) use which occurs 24/7 in America.
Diesel-Electric locomotives also need to be considered as well as construction machinery such as bulldozers, earth movers, on-site power plants, etc.

Reliability is not an issue for wind and solar.

Right, and in 5-10 years what kinds of batteries do you think we'll have? Do you think the average car won't have 400-500 mile batteries? We have that right now, it's just price is a factor. How often would a normal driver need to charge that for if he's just driving 10+ miles a day on average? The vast majority of ppl aren't going to be charging their cars daily for hours on end.

Right, and in 5-10 years what kinds of batteries do you think we'll have? Do you think the average car won't have 400-500 mile batteries? We have that right now, it's just price is a factor. How often would a normal driver need to charge that for if he's just driving 10+ miles a day on average? The vast majority of ppl aren't going to be charging their cars daily for hours on end.
I'm thinking more about the sheer number of windmills, solar panels, and other such things cluttering up the landscape.

I'm thinking more about the sheer number of windmills, solar panels, and other such things cluttering up the landscape.
/---/ All of which could be replaced by a few nuclear power plants. BUT NOOOOOO
Snowflake libs were scared shytless about nuke plants because they saw a movie, China Syndrome in 1979 with Hanoi Jane. And now they're SKEEEERED of perfectly safe, cheap, fossil-free, plentiful nuclear power.

99% of americans will never see them, and for the ones who do they won't even notice them anymore after a few sightings. I've never seen a wind or solar farm in my whole life. The largest solar plant in the US is in the middle of the california dessert. How often will you be traveling there to be bothered by it? I'd say, never. If this is what is bothering you, you are concerned with all the wrong things.

/---/ All of which could be replaced by a few nuclear power plants. BUT NOOOOOO
Snowflake libs were scared shytless about nuke plants because they saw a movie, China Syndrome in 1979 with Hanoi Jane. And now they're SKEEEERED of perfectly safe, cheap, fossil-free, plentiful nuclear power.

If you're not wary of the potential dangers of nuclear power you're a fool and idiot.

/——-/ Of course I do. The power plants are highly regulated and you know it.

Were they not highly regulated in japan? There's no such thing as 100% safe when you are dealing with something so incredibly dangerous. Are there contigency plans when dealing with nature or terrorism? What do you do then? What about nuclear waste, which isn't buried in some distant desert somewhere but is all stored above ground at the same nuclear plant! Many, if not all plants aren't even guarded.

99% of americans will never see them, and for the ones who do they won't even notice them anymore after a few sightings. I've never seen a wind or solar farm in my whole life. The largest solar plant in the US is in the middle of the california dessert. How often will you be traveling there to be bothered by it? I'd say, never. If this is what is bothering you, you are concerned with all the wrong things.
I complain about lots of things, not just this.

I have a gas powered car that is "fuel efficient". Because my car is allegedly "fuel efficient" the cost of renewing my plates this year more than doubled to offset my alleged evasion of fuel taxes.

I have a gas powered car that is "fuel efficient". Because my car is allegedly "fuel efficient" the cost of renewing my plates this year more than doubled to offset my alleged evasion of fuel taxes.
/——/ Next, they will charge you per mile, plus the registration fee, plus the gas tax, plus the tolls….

/——/ Next, they will charge you per mile, plus the registration fee, plus the gas tax, plus the tolls….
Well there are no toll roads around here but yest the Biden administration is supposedly experimenting with mileage tax pilot program for exactly to purpose of making sure those who consume little or no gas still pay the Big Guy.

Well there are no toll roads around here but yest the Biden administration is supposedly experimenting with mileage tax pilot program for exactly to purpose of making sure those who consume little or no gas still pay the Big Guy.
/——/ And don’t forget the Big Guy throttling back your speed and restricting your monthly mileage allotment. All possible with EV.

/——/ And don’t forget the Big Guy throttling back your speed and restricting your monthly mileage allotment. All possible with EV.

I do not plan to ever buy an all electric vehicle for a whole host of reasons, particularly the cost and because I don't have a garage. I am not not driving out the outbuilding and hiking back to the house just to be able to charge my ride at night. I am lazy and cheap.

I commute 90 miles minimum per day. I live in the UK, I need a van that can tow, the equivalent electric van has a claimed 120 mile range with no towing capability, at double the cost. I live in an upstairs apartment, parking is in a residential street. A roof solar panel survey of the house pointed out there's no payback period, it will actually cost money ( the joys of Southern Scotland). What's worse, the roof is shared.

So in 5 to 10 years, where will EV batteries be? Still at their present level, crap.

Is it a case of, "Here's EV's, they're suitable for the average mileage driver in an average job, that owns a garage/drive and solar is an added benefit if you live in a sunny climate. The majority of you, tough shit".

Forum List

Back