Did you get a tax cut last year?

And when Bush sent out those $300 rebate checks and depleted the surplus, that was the greatest thing ever wasn't it.

That's funny, I thought Obama was the current President. Why do you all have such a hard on for a man that isn't President anymore and is doing his best to stay out of the limelight?

But back to the subject at hand, did your taxes go down last year Mr Clean?

Rick

Yes they did.

the 800 dollar work credit was the tax cut i thought?

Yes, but he increased the taxes we paid before he gave us this spectacular tax cut. Well, geez, thank you so very much Mr. President for pissing on me and telling me it was raining.

Immie

And when Bush sent out those $300 rebate checks and depleted the surplus, that was the greatest thing ever wasn't it.

As debunked SO many times.. there was no motherfucking surplus, so stop trying to re-spread the myth

September 2003?

I'm not reading that whole thing... this applies to my question and this thread... how?

Immie

I posted the wrong link its now corrected

Thank you for the correction.

I scanned the link you provided and I hate to tell you this, but I don't believe them.

I provided my real life example. I for one did not end up nearly $500 to the good. I would be curious to see how others faired. I think the tax cut bragging is a whole hell of a lot of... well, hot air with no substance.

Immie

Arkansas Times

Conservative pundits and their followers were shrieking in rage on Tax Day last week, so wrought up they forgot to mention that Americans are paying less in taxes under President Obama than they paid under his conservative predecessor, George W. Bush.

The Recovery Act signed by Obama last year cut federal income taxes for 98 percent of working Americans, according to Citizens for Tax Justice, an activist group. Arkansans did even better, although the state voted against Obama in the 2008 presidential election. Ninety-nine percent of working families in Arkansas benefited from at least one of the tax cuts signed into law by Obama. The average tax break was $1,016. Obama has signed no legislation to increase taxes.

that is because people lost their jobs.....and withholdigs tables were altered...no new gross income tax tables were issued....

I donated $500 more to charity in 2009, earned ~5K more than in 2008, still claim 1 of my 2 kids as I do every year (because the ex claims the other)... and my total tax paid was ~3K more than the year before...

Left wingers love myths about their DEM presidents... there was no tax cut and most career working people did not pay less in taxes

Yes, but he increased the taxes we paid before he gave us this spectacular tax cut. Well, geez, thank you so very much Mr. President for pissing on me and telling me it was raining.

Immie

As debunked SO many times.. there was no motherfucking surplus, so stop trying to re-spread the myth

There was a huge motherfucking surplus.

The $800 Making Work Pay Credit was supposed to be the tax cut. But, what Obama neglected to tell us is that the tax brackets were not adjusted down by this amount so at the end of the year your tax burden didn't change by this amount. Basically it was a short term loan from our government. We all had to pay it back (either by actually paying more or by getting less of a refund) when we filed our 2009 tax returns.

Rick

mine were reduced by that $800 when said and done and filed???

How does yours compare to last year? That is the question.

I realize that there is personal information involved in my post and I hesitated before posting it, but you can compare last year to this year. How do they compare?

Immie

Only Immies taxes matter Care

If you could read, you would know that is a lie.

I stated that my taxes were only one example and I was asking for others to compare their own to see if their situation was different than mine.

You are lying again.

Immie

Lying is TM's one core competency.

There was a huge motherfucking surplus.

There was no surplus at any time.. the last surplus was in 1957

Thank you for playing... see Don Pardo on your way out for some lovely parting gifts

Last edited:
The $800 Making Work Pay Credit was supposed to be the tax cut. But, what Obama neglected to tell us is that the tax brackets were not adjusted down by this amount so at the end of the year your tax burden didn't change by this amount. Basically it was a short term loan from our government. We all had to pay it back (either by actually paying more or by getting less of a refund) when we filed our 2009 tax returns.

Rick

I realize that there is personal information involved in my post and I hesitated before posting it, but you can compare last year to this year. How do they compare?

Immie

i am just about to take a nap immie, can not keep my eyes opened much longer....i will look at the 2 later, and let you know....

Immie

Did I say that?

Did I give credit to Bush?

I compared last year's taxes to this year's and asked if others received the same general outcome. I'm not even sure I am looking at my situation correctly and am open to other people's takes on my comparing apples to apples.

The left has been bragging for a year. If there was a benefit, then they should be able to show it. In other words, it is time for them to put up or shut up.

As for Bush's tax cut... I don't believe you have ever read me praising them.

Immie

Immie

i am just about to take a nap immie, can not keep my eyes opened much longer....i will look at the 2 later, and let you know....

Thank you.

I am only asking people to compare their taxes from year to year... something we should all do annually anyway. I am not claiming that my situation is typical. But, I can't think of how I would be considered "atypical".

Immie

I'm wondering about this so called tax cut that President Obama supposedly gave all of us.

Me too. I didn't see a difference. Perhaps I will in 2010, since I adjusted our W4's to have additional money withheld from our paychecks. I'd just like to break even one year! LOL!

I was thrilled to death at owing $6 this year. Almost as thrilled as I was at receiving $720 last year... okay, almost is stretching it. Truthfully, I'd rather get a ton back, but then I am only lending Uncle Sam more money tax free.

But, breaking even is not the issue. The issue is total tax paid and even, moreso, effective rate because that is comparing your tax situation rather than the size of your refund.

Immie

We live a nice life so I never even look or care. Kinda weird but I grew up dirt poor and money has no meaning to me. Now my wife on the .....

"Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life." Mark Twain

i paid a significantly higher amount of taxes last year.

Clarify please!

More in 2008 than in 2009 as in your taxes went down or more in 2009 compared to 2008 and do you know if your effective rate changed at all or did your tax situation change?

Immie

We live a nice life so I never even look or care. Kinda weird but I grew up dirt poor and money has no meaning to me. Now my wife on the .....

"Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life." Mark Twain

I understand and even though I know I should pay more attention to my taxes from year to year, I typically don't.

I have been reading all this praise for Obama's tax cuts and quite frankly, I don't feel that my situation improved as I am told it should have. That is why I provided my own information and asked others to compare their own to see if I just happened to be atypical this year.

Immie

Comparing taxes for a similar gross, I saw about $300 less in taxes this year plus the $800 Making Work Pay credit

Forum List

Back