Destroying the American Character

According to the link OP provided, this is what CBO Director Elmendorf said, in part:

“A number of new organizations wrongly interpreted the agency's report Wednesday as saying that Obamacare 'killed' 2.5 million jobs. In reality, the agency found Obamacare could shrink the workforce by the equivalent of 2.5 million full-time workers over the next 10 years.

“But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Obamacare could cause a reduction in employment because it makes health care more accessible, allowing Americans to quit jobs they only keep for the health care coverage. That's not killing jobs. It's giving workers the ability to quit jobs they don't want.”

I think the man has lost all sense of a proper work ethic.

I believe a man should work a job he doesn't like in order to provide his own health insurance rather than quite his job and have someone else pick up his tab. Besides, quitting a job just because you don't like it is a poor excuse. During my long life I worked many jobs I didn't like and I know many of you did too. Most people don't like their jobs but they keep on trucking because they feel an obligation to provide for themselves and their families.

“An alarming 70% of those surveyed in a recent Gallup poll either hate their jobs or are completely disengaged, and not even incentives and extras can extricate them from the working man's blues.”

Read more: Workplace morale heads down: 70% of Americans negative about their jobs, Gallup study shows* - NY Daily News

I always thought taxpayer assistance was for those who COULD not provide for themselves, not for those who WOULD not. If a man can provide for himself and doesn't want to, he does not deserve help from the rest of us.

I personally thinks it's really cool for people in their 60s and 70s to be stocking shelves in supermarkets after they've been fired from their accounting, legal, banking or financial careers.
Real cool.
I say that because I see it.

It's not about being cool. It's all about personal responsibility. If the 60 or 70-year old person CAN work to provide their own health coverage, they should. I'm 74 and my retirement provides everything I need. However, if I needed health coverage and could obtain it by stocking shelves in a supermarket, I would do it in a heartbeat. There is nothing demeaning about any type of honest work. I once cleaned up cow manure for 40 hours a week on a large dairy farm in Pennsylvania; then I went home, showered, put on a suit and cummerbund and worked part time as a waiter in a gourmet restaurant.

I have no respect for anyone who thinks any type of work is beneath them and who would prefer a handout rather then earn their keep doing “common labor.” It has been my experience that those who think that certain types of work are beneath them also think the people who perform this work are beneath them. I respect the efforts of EVERY working man and woman and I wouldn't hesitate to do any of their jobs if I needed the money.

I am proud that during my entire long stay on this planet I have never asked, nor even thought of asking, anyone to do something for me that I could do myself. I remember a time and place when most people were like that. It's about self-respect and self-reliance.

CONCLUSION: If 60 or 70 year old men and women need health coverage and cannot afford it unless they go to work (including stocking supermarket shelves), I fully expect them to do just that, providing they are capable of performing the work. Period.

Now I am through with this thread so you can have the last word.

The Professor is a classic example of the right wing world view.

George Lakoff: What Conservatives Really Want

Conservatives really want to change the basis of American life, to make America run according to the conservative moral worldview in all areas of life.

In the 2008 campaign, candidate Obama accurately described the basis of American democracy: Empathy -- citizens caring for each other, both social and personal responsibility -- acting on that care, and an ethic of excellence. From these, our freedoms and our way of life follow, as does the role of government: to protect and empower everyone equally. Protection includes safety, health, the environment, pensions and empowerment starts with education and infrastructure. No one can be free without these, and without a commitment to care and act on that care by one's fellow citizens.

The conservative worldview rejects all of that.

Conservatives believe in individual responsibility alone, not social responsibility. They don't think government should help its citizens. That is, they don't think citizens should help each other. The part of government they want to cut is not the military (we have 174 bases around the world), not government subsidies to corporations, not the aspect of government that fits their worldview. They want to cut the part that helps people. Why? Because that violates individual responsibility.

But where does that view of individual responsibility alone come from?

The way to understand the conservative moral system is to consider a strict father family. The father is The Decider, the ultimate moral authority in the family. His authority must not be challenged. His job is to protect the family, to support the family (by winning competitions in the marketplace), and to teach his kids right from wrong by disciplining them physically when they do wrong. The use of force is necessary and required. Only then will children develop the internal discipline to become moral beings. And only with such discipline will they be able to prosper. And what of people who are not prosperous? They don't have discipline, and without discipline they cannot be moral, so they deserve their poverty. The good people are hence the prosperous people. Helping others takes away their discipline, and hence makes them both unable to prosper on their own and function morally.

In conservative family life, the strict father rules. Fathers and husbands should have control over reproduction; hence, parental and spousal notification laws and opposition to abortion. In conservative religion, God is seen as the strict father, the Lord, who rewards and punishes according to individual responsibility in following his Biblical word.

Above all, the authority of conservatism itself must be maintained. The country should be ruled by conservative values, and progressive values are seen as evil. Science should not have authority over the market, and so the science of global warming and evolution must be denied. Facts that are inconsistent with the authority of conservatism must be ignored or denied or explained away. To protect and extend conservative values themselves, the devil's own means can be used again conservatism's immoral enemies, whether lies, intimidation, torture, or even death, say, for women's doctors.

Freedom is defined as being your own strict father -- with individual not social responsibility, and without any government authority telling you what you can and cannot do. To defend that freedom as an individual, you will of course need a gun.

This is the America that conservatives really want. Budget deficits are convenient ruses for destroying American democracy and replacing it with conservative rule in all areas of life.

Do you get the feeling that she does not like liberals?

Hmmm. I not sure she even likes herself.

Not certain what she likes or not since everything she ever posts is just a cut n paste of some conservative site. Maybe she doesn't even have a brain and is some script bot? :)

I know you could not be speaking of Political Chic because that would be a flat out lie. She writes her own material, uses valid sources - links to back up her OP and has the respect of readers at USMB because of the quality of her threads. I've never seen her write anything less than First Rate. I don't see anyone here who can touch her. My two cents. - Jeri

I am so very pleased....and amused.....every time I get you Leftists to do your spin dance because you have been exposed as unAmerican and detrimental to this nation!

"Furman argued that the report merely indicates that people can now “choose” to drop jobs they do not enjoy — but are keeping because they require health-care coverage — leaving them free to pursue more fulfilling activities.

“What you have is two different ways of characterizing this report,” she explained. “If you talk to Republicans, they say there are going to be nearly 2.5 million jobs that are going to be lost over a decade due to the Affordable Care Act. If you talk to the White House, there are going to be 2.5 million people who are gonna have a choice to leave full-time employment [to pursue other opportunities].”

“Those may be people who decide to stop working altogether, .... “What we couldn’t get an answer to today from the White House today is: What is the economic impact of having that many people go from full-time to part-time or unemployment?”

“Jay Carney said today that this is an opportunity to spend more time with their kids, to have different work opportunities,” she said
Carlson blasts White House spin on Obamacare job losses [VIDEO] | The Daily Caller

Now let's review:

Prager's premise is that Liberal/Progressive/DeathPanelDemocrat policies are damaging to the American social fabric.

".... there is a public cost to people not having full-time work,” Carlson explained. “This is devastating to the Democrats’ prospects in 2014. It’s devastating to the country, I would say.”
Carlson blasts White House spin on Obamacare job losses [VIDEO] | The Daily Caller

How ya' like that, boyyyyeeeeee??

Interesting post from a stay-at-home mom who has someone else paying for her health insurance.

I hold a top position at Stark Industries.

"My, oh, my, how times have changed. America now has a government that views work as a trap and celebrates those who escape it.

... the head of the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office reported that the interplay of taxes and subsidies in the law “creates a disincentive for people to work.” The report predicted the mix would lead to fewer hours worked, costing the equivalent of nearly 2.5 million jobs.
In response, President Obama’s spokesman pleaded guilty — with pride and pleasure."
Obama Democrats? troubling view on work | New York Post

"My, oh, my, how times have changed. America now has a government that views work as a trap and celebrates those who escape it.

... the head of the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office reported that the interplay of taxes and subsidies in the law “creates a disincentive for people to work.” The report predicted the mix would lead to fewer hours worked, costing the equivalent of nearly 2.5 million jobs.
In response, President Obama’s spokesman pleaded guilty — with pride and pleasure."

The 'trap' is being forced to keep a job you don't like or want just because of health care coverage. Now people can CHOOSE. Heaven forbid families can now afford health insurance on their own, can improve FAMILY time and quality of life. Something you authoritarians can't comprehend.

A number of new organizations wrongly interpreted the agency's report Wednesday as saying that Obamacare "killed" 2.5 million jobs. In reality, the agency found Obamacare could shrink the workforce by the equivalent of 2.5 million full-time workers over the next 10 years.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Obamacare could cause a reduction in employment because it makes health care more accessible, allowing Americans to quit jobs they only keep for the health care coverage. That's not killing jobs. It's giving workers the ability to quit jobs they don't want.

Representative Van Hollen called the media out for misreading the report.

"As the media has themselves confessed, they bought -- hook, line and sinker -- some of the talking points from our Republicans, and unfortunately misrepresentations go around the world three times before the truth begins to catch up," Van Hollen said.

The 'trap' is being forced to keep a job you don't like or want just because of health care coverage. Now people can CHOOSE. Heaven forbid families can now afford health insurance on their own, can improve FAMILY time and quality of life. Something you authoritarians can't comprehend.

A number of new organizations wrongly interpreted the agency's report Wednesday as saying that Obamacare "killed" 2.5 million jobs. In reality, the agency found Obamacare could shrink the workforce by the equivalent of 2.5 million full-time workers over the next 10 years.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Obamacare could cause a reduction in employment because it makes health care more accessible, allowing Americans to quit jobs they only keep for the health care coverage. That's not killing jobs. It's giving workers the ability to quit jobs they don't want.

"As the media has themselves confessed, they bought -- hook, line and sinker -- some of the talking points from our Republicans, and unfortunately misrepresentations go around the world three times before the truth begins to catch up," Van Hollen said.

"But that's not necessarily a bad thing."

Sure is.

Spin…altering the truth without altering the facts.

Individuals can choose to work and be responsible or they can choose to be like you, and have their neighbors provide their healthcare.

Sad what the Left has done to values and character.

1. "...We were taught to work jolly hard. We were taught to prove yourself (sic). We were taught self-reliance. We were taught to live within our income. You were taught that cleanliness is next to godliness. You were taught always to give a hand to your neighbour. You were taught tremendous pride in your country.. All of these things are Victorian values. They are also perennial values.”
Margaret Thatcher's views in the Evening Standard of April 15, 1983.

a. A decade later, Republicans introduced the term “family values,” and even President Clinton used the term in bemoaning the destruction of the American family, and concluded that government alone could not correct the ills that beset the family.

2. From a historical view, in the sense that history is that which is experienced by ordinary folks, “Victorian values” are actually what we call middle-class values, and include thrift, cleanliness, responsibility, self-discipline, perseverance, honesty and self-reliance…but also those values that are crucial to the “work ethic,” promptness, regularity, conformity and rationality. Note, this constellation is of value to capitalism, and changes agricultural workers into an industrial proletariat.
Gertrude Himmelfarb, “The De-Moralization of Society”

Of course, you serve as a prime example of the title of Himmelfarb's book.

Sure is.

Individuals can choose to work and be responsible or they can choose to be like you, and have their neighbors provide their healthcare.

1. "...We were taught to work jolly hard. We were taught to prove yourself (sic). We were taught self-reliance. We were taught to live within our income. You were taught that cleanliness is next to godliness. You were taught always to give a hand to your neighbour. You were taught tremendous pride in your country.. All of these things are Victorian values. They are also perennial values.”

a. A decade later, Republicans introduced the term “family values,” and even President Clinton used the term in bemoaning the destruction of the American family, and concluded that government alone could not correct the ills that beset the family.

2. From a historical view, in the sense that history is that which is experienced by ordinary folks, “Victorian values” are actually what we call middle-class values, and include thrift, cleanliness, responsibility, self-discipline, perseverance, honesty and self-reliance…but also those values that are crucial to the “work ethic,” promptness, regularity, conformity and rationality. Note, this constellation is of value to capitalism, and changes agricultural workers into an industrial proletariat.

Gertrude Himmelfarb- Trotskyist...

What do you think will happen when people who work get fed up with the care and feeding of the slothful?

What do you think will happen when people who work get fed up with the care and feeding of the slothful?

slothful?

The level of contempt you right wing scum have for American working men and women is sickening.

So working ONE job instead of two is slothful?

Sure is.

Gertrude Himmelfarb- Trotskyist...

You....Obamunist.

So glad you didn't deny anything in the post.

slothful?

The level of contempt you right wing scum have for American working men and women is sickening.

WHAT?????

Hard to believe that even you would be stupid enough to post what is obviously contradicted by your own post.

You and Obama are cheering that they can get free stuff by not working and you refer to same as "American working men and women"?????

Dunce.

slothful?

WHAT?????

Hard to believe that even you would be stupid enough to post what is obviously contradicted by your own post.

You and Obama are cheering that they can get free stuff by not working and you refer to same as "American working men and women"?????

Dunce.

A dunce is someone who can't comprehend that America workers being able to afford health insurance that is not tied to an employer allows workers to not have to work more than one job.

Does your tiny little mind ever think things through? There is no possible way any jobs will be 'lost'. If those jobs are required work, then other people will have an opportunity to fill those positions.

slothful?

WHAT?????

Dunce.

A dunce is someone who can't comprehend that America workers being able to afford health insurance that is not tied to an employer allows workers to not have to work more than one job.

Does your tiny little mind ever think things through? There is no possible way any jobs will be 'lost'. If those jobs are required work, then other people will have an opportunity to fill those positions.

"There is no possible way any jobs will be 'lost'."

There is a meaningful difference between making a mistake and lying.

Yours is not a mistake.

You behave dishonorably because you are an obsequious Obama apparatchik.

"ObamaCare could lead to loss of nearly 2.3 million US jobs, report says

The long-term effect of ObamaCare on the U.S. economy was rewritten Tuesday with the Congressional Budget Office issuing a revised projection that nearly 2.5 million workers could opt out of full-time jobs over the next 10 years -- allowing employers to wipe 2.3 million full-time jobs off the books.

The budget office says jobs will also be lost because employers may choose to hire less full-time workers or reduce the hours of their staff.

In 2010, the CBO projected ObamaCare would lead to about 650,000 fewer jobs. Tuesday’s new 2.3 million estimate is significantly higher."
ObamaCare could lead to loss of nearly 2.3 million US jobs, report says | Fox News

I miss the America snakes like you have destroyed.

I'm SURE you do PC, I'm sure you do...

PC and friends...

teabaggerlogic_thumb.jpg
peasants-for-plutocracy-by-michael-dal-cerro2_thumb.jpg

PC and friends...

teabaggerlogic_thumb.jpg

OK, BoringFriendlessGuy......here's another nail in your coffin:

ObamaCare will reduce the Social Security payments a family ultimately get!!!!

ObamaCare is a step toward poverty.

"A significant thing the CBO left out in its report is the impact on future Social Security benefits due to continued high unemployment and people choosing to work less to take advantage of Obamacare’s subsidies.

TheDC’s Mickey Kaus has described Social Security benefits as ‘work-tested’ (not means-tested). Thus, the amount of Social Security benefits a worker receives at retirement are directly tied to what the person earned in their lifetime."
How Obamacare's work incentives could impact future Social Security payouts | The Daily Caller

Just one more example of the short-sightedness of Liberal policies.

PC and friends...

teabaggerlogic_thumb.jpg

"A significant thing the CBO left out in its report is the impact on future Social Security benefits due to continued high unemployment and people choosing to work less to take advantage of Obamacare’s subsidies.

TheDC’s Mickey Kaus has described Social Security benefits as ‘work-tested’ (not means-tested). Thus, the amount of Social Security benefits a worker receives at retirement are directly tied to what the person earned in their lifetime."
How Obamacare's work incentives could impact future Social Security payouts | The Daily Caller

OHHHH, so personal choice and personal responsibility bothers you.

Pretty ironic coming from people who would end social security in a instant if they had the power.

Affordable Care Act - restoring the American Character

Leading Republicans, along with much of the media, went into a frenzy last week following the release of a Congressional Budget Office (CBO) report on the Affordable Care Act (ACA). The report assessed the likely impact of the ACA on employment and concluded it will lead to a reduction in the total number of hours worked by 1.5-2.0 percent when its effects are fully felt later in the decade.

This reduction in hours is equivalent to 2.0-2.5 million fewer people working. This was quickly translated into a loss of 2.0-2.5 million jobs, which made Obamacare officially a jobs-killer in the eyes of the CBO. That's pretty powerful stuff, but it turns reality on its head.

The CBO assessment was that because people could now get access to health insurance through the exchanges rather than having to get insurance through their jobs, many people might decide not to work or to work fewer hours. This voluntary reduction in work hours is one of the goals of Obamacare, it is not an unforeseen consequence.

There are millions of people who struggle at their jobs with serious health conditions in the hope of reaching age 65 when they can qualify for Medicare. The exchanges will make it possible for many of these people to get insurance at prices they can afford, since insurers are not allowed to discriminate based on pre-existing conditions. As a result, some of these older workers will opt to either retire or to possible work fewer hours at a job that doesn't provide insurance. Giving people this option was one of the main goals of health care reform.

Similarly, there are many workers with young children who would like to be able to either take time off from work to spend with their kids, or alternatively to work at a job part-time. However they may not have this option if their only way to afford insurance is by working at a full-time job. As a result of the ACA these people will work fewer hours.

This also was also one of the goals of Obamacare. Advocates of health care reform thought it would be good if the parents of young children had the opportunity to work less to be with their kids, if that is what they choose to do.

When CBO did its analysis and said that Obamacare would lead to some reduction in work hours, it was saying the ACA would have its intended effect. It was freeing people from health care related job-lock. This is a feature, not a bug.

It's remarkable that so many people could have reached the direct opposite conclusion. Of course almost any measure that protects workers will have some negative impact on people's willingness to work. If we eliminated Medicare and made older people pay for their health care then we could get more people to work into their 70's, 80's, even 90's. Wouldn't that be great?

In fact, the withdrawal of people from the labor market would likely have a positive effect on those who want to work. At a time where we still have millions of people unemployed or underemployed, the people who retire or cut back hours to be with kids will be opening up jobs for younger workers unable to find work or full-time jobs. Since we have a Congress that is unwilling to take the steps to increase demand in the labor market, the best way we may have of increasing job openings is by reducing supply.

The reduction in labor supply is also likely to have a positive impact on wages. In fact, the CBO numbers implied that wages would on average increase as a result of the ACA. While it projected hours worked would fall by between 1.5-2.0 percent, it expects that compensation will only fall by 1.0 percent. This implies an increase of 0.5-1.0 percent in average hourly compensation.

Part of this rise in compensation could be a composition effect. If we take the lowest paid workers out of the labor market, then average wages of those remaining will rise. However part of the story is simple supply and demand, if we reduce the supply of labor because more people choose not to work, then we would expect the price of labor to rise. That is the sort of story we should expect to see as a result of the ACA.

Last edited:

PC and friends...

teabaggerlogic_thumb.jpg

OHHHH, so personal choice and personal responsibility bothers you.

Pretty ironic coming from people who would end social security in a instant if they had the power.

Did you actually write "personal responsibility"????

I see what Shakespeare meant in the 'Merchant'....

“The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
An evil soul producing holy witness
Is like a villain with a smiling cheek,
A goodly apple rotten at the heart.
O, what a goodly outside falsehood hath!”

You lying sack of refuse.

Forum List

Back