Deputy fatally shoots fleeing colleague in the back!

JQPublic1

Gold Member
Aug 10, 2012
LAS CRUCES, N.M. (AP) — A northern New Mexico sheriff's deputy accused of killing a fellow deputy fired several rounds from his semi-automatic weapon as his colleague tried to flee an alcohol-fueled argument at a hotel, police said Tuesday.

The shooting happened just after midnight at Hotel Encanto in the southern New Mexico city of Las Cruces, where the two Santa Fe County deputies had stopped to spend the night after transporting a prisoner to Safford, Arizona.
Jeremy Martin, 29, was pronounced dead at MountainView Regional Medical Center, and detectives were interviewing the other deputy, Tai Chan, 27.

Chan's attorney, John Day, was on his way to Las Cruces on Tuesday and said details were limited.

This incident is no more of a tragedy than the shooting of Mike Brown or that of Trayvon Martin. Ironically, the victim in this shooting also has a surname of Martin. But the shooter's last name is Chan...a name usually associated with Asians.

The local newspaper published a picture of the white victim but images of the subject have not yet surfaced.

While alcohol may have played a role in this homicide, there evidently was some deep rooted personal factor involved that escalated into murder.

Is Chan a cop killer? It will be interesting to see how this case pans out. Pundits are sure to draw comparisons with the Trayvon Martin and Mike Brown shootings...although I don't believe New Mexico is a "Stand Your Ground" state.

Last edited:
Careful there, Pubic. You're gonna hurt your back reaching on this one. Only you or Asswipe would find a way to draw a parallel between this case and Michael Brown or Trayvon Martin.

Careful there, Pubic. You're gonna hurt your back reaching on this one. Only you or Asswipe would find a way to draw a parallel between this case and Michael Brown or Trayvon Martin.
You have to admit, the end result was the same...although It is not clear if Jeremy Martin was armed or not. But. make no mistake... I am not drawing a conclusion at all. I am just making a prediction... is that ok?

You have to admit, the end result was the same...although It is not clear if Jeremy Martin was armed or not. But. make no mistake... I am not drawing a conclusion at all. I am just making a prediction... is that ok?
Sure, knock yourself out. I was just concerned about your back.

Forum List

Back