Dem Attacks On The Free Market Continues -- This Time, Landlords

Biff_Poindexter

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2018
USA

"While New York reels from budget shortfalls caused by the coronavirus pandemic, the city and state are leaving money on the table by failing to investigate shady landlords taking advantage of tax credits, a housing rights watchdog will argue Wednesday, announcing three new lawsuits -- the group filed lawsuits in State Supreme Court regarding three properties that allegedly received over $20 million in undeserved tax benefits.

“Everyone is being screwed here — the tenants who are being defrauded and the taxpayers who are paying into these fraudulent schemes. Taxpayers are not only being forced to subsidize bad tax policy, they’re being forced to subsidize tax fraud,” says Aaron Carr of the Housing Rights Initiative. The alleged accounting trickery at the center of the suits is shockingly widespread, the tactic, according to Carr, gives landlords “a back-door method to illegally raise rents.”

First of all, there should be no laws regulating landlord/tenant relationships or real estate in general.....if these tenants are losers who can't own their own property; that is their fault, therefore they should abide by the terms and conditions the landlords dictate; not government. If I as a property owner chose to employ tactics that result in me getting the most financial benefit possible out of my property, government has no business in trying to regulate how I do it...let the free market decide.

For example, since taxation is theft -- if I have a chance to get tax credits by doing something so-called "fraudulent" -- why shouldn't I? The fact I have to pay taxes is already fraudulent so if I figure out ways to get some of my tax dollars back while also "illegally" overcharging my tenants to get even more money -- that should be rewarded, not demonized and persecuted by government and these lib watchdog groups.

The article mentioned 12-15 Broadway in Queens as one of the defendants in the lawsuit. Just out of curiosity, I looked up the rent on a two bedroom apartment in that building: About $6, 168 a month.

No fucks given.

12-15-15 Broadway Unit 120, Queens, NY 11106 - Apartment for Rent in Queens, NY | Apartments.com

12-15-broadway-01.jpg

There is no such thing as a "free market".
There's no such thing as free anything....this is what liberals will never understand. There is always a cost and that cannot be eliminated no matter how one may try.

JO
So you admit when folks throw around terms like "free markets" or "let the free markets decide" -- they are just being full of shit??

And as far as ..there is always a cost...yea....but its funny how that costs tends to be aimed at those who can least afford it and has the least amount of power to do anything about it...

There's no such thing as free anything....this is what liberals will never understand. There is always a cost and that cannot be eliminated no matter how one may try.

JO
So you admit when folks throw around terms like "free markets" or "let the free markets decide" -- they are just being full of shit??

And as far as ..there is always a cost...yea....but its funny how that costs tends to be aimed at those who can least afford it and has the least amount of power to do anything about it...
Well Yeah.....the principle is a good one but the name is all wrong yes of course...especially if you think the word free is a substitute for NO COST.... instead the other sense of the word is being used.... Free as in minimally regulated but even that has its limitations.

Costs...yep they do trickle down to the bottom...not sure how to stop that from happening. Government intervention NEVER EVER EVER WORKS no matter how well meaning it may be. It always ADDS TO THE COST when they get involved.

I think everyone has the concept intact. If I have a conservative landlord and I don't pay him rent he's going to do something about it. If I have a liberal landlord and I don't pay him rent...most likely he is also going to do something about it. If the government steps in as they did during the pandemic to suspend all eviction procedures all that happens is that you take money out of the local economy which then has an impact on the cost of everything else in that area including the eventual cost of rent......they only model that has ever worked and even that one has its limits is personal responsibility and then you have to try to find a balance between that and feudalism nobody said it was going to be easy.

JO

Well Yeah.....the principle is a good one but the name is all wrong yes of course...especially if you think the word free is a substitute for NO COST.... instead the other sense of the word is being used.... Free as in minimally regulated but even that has its limitations.

Costs...yep they do trickle down to the bottom...not sure how to stop that from happening. Government intervention NEVER EVER EVER WORKS no matter how well meaning it may be. It always ADDS TO THE COST when they get involved.

I think everyone has the concept intact. If I have a conservative landlord and I don't pay him rent he's going to do something about it. If I have a liberal landlord and I don't pay him rent...most likely he is also going to do something about it. If the government steps in as they did during the pandemic to suspend all eviction procedures all that happens is that you take money out of the local economy which then has an impact on the cost of everything else in that area including the eventual cost of rent......they only model that has ever worked and even that one has its limits is personal responsibility and then you have to try to find a balance between that and feudalism nobody said it was going to be easy.
Most roads lead back to feudalism when you allow these so-called small-government conservatives to have their way.....especially those who claim to be libertarians....

In their utopia; tenants who rent from umm.. let's say condos that collapsed due to that "free market" regulating itself ...they would just be shit out of luck....since also in this utopia; courts will just be tools of those with the most power......even more so than they are now...

JO

Most roads lead back to feudalism when you allow these so-called small-government conservatives to have their way.....especially those who claim to be libertarians....

In their utopia; tenants who rent from umm.. let's say condos that collapsed due to that "free market" regulating itself ...they would just be shit out of luck....since also in this utopia; courts will just be tools of those with the most power......even more so than they are now...
Sigh.... yeah I'm afraid you are right about the court system...another one I simply have no real answer for buddy...... Yes with many conservatives the failure to analyze the system as a whole has wreaked havoc on the....whole system .....at times. like it or not we cannot detach ourselves from community
affect or effect. If we have a freeloader living next door who does not pay his property taxes....in time the court system will be persuaded by the local municipality to remove his ownership.... but what does this do for you? Not much...it causes a devaluation of the local properties for one thing. So as you sit there watching this happen money is leaving your pocket without your permission. A strange sounding approach to the matter would be to get the locals together to pay his tax bill with the understanding that he get his act together or give up his ownership. But try getting that from either conservatives or liberals.....you cannot do it. You also cannot find people who will honor their part of the bargain by either ponying up or selling off.
Soooo we are left with the ufortuate reality of the lowest common denominator which does tend toward feudalism.

JO

JO

Sigh.... yeah I'm afraid you are right about the court system...another one I simply have no real answer for buddy...... Yes with many conservatives the failure to analyze the system as a whole has wreaked havoc on the....whole system .....at times. like it or not we cannot detach ourselves from community
affect or effect. If we have a freeloader living next door who does not pay his property taxes....in time the court system will be persuaded by the local municipality to remove his ownership.... but what does this do for you? Not much...it causes a devaluation of the local properties for one thing. So as you sit there watching this happen money is leaving your pocket without your permission. A strange sounding approach to the matter would be to get the locals together to pay his tax bill with the understanding that he get his act together or give up his ownership. But try getting that from either conservatives or liberals.....you cannot do it. You also cannot find people who will honor their part of the bargain by either ponying up or selling off.
Soooo we are left with the ufortuate reality of the lowest common denominator which does tend toward feudalism.

JO
Since we worship wealth more than God in this country...

with regards to your scenario about the local community helping pay a regular person's tax bill -- that won't be as likely as them agreeing to pay a wealthy person's tax bill........especially if that regular person is not paying his bill to cheat.....

Now if that wealthy person was not paying his tax bills to cheat -- that community will be more willing to pay his tax bills...due to their wealth worship and their belief he deserves that type of tax relief....

JO

JO
Since we worship wealth more than God in this country...

with regards to your scenario about the local community helping pay a regular person's tax bill -- that won't be as likely as them agreeing to pay a wealthy person's tax bill........especially if that regular person is not paying his bill to cheat.....

Now if that wealthy person was not paying his tax bills to cheat -- that community will be more willing to pay his tax bills...due to their wealth worship and their belief he deserves that type of tax relief....

what can I say? You're probably right.

Forum List

Back