Dear Mr. President

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Fark;

A letter from people with Alzheimer's to President Obama: This potato is following me, maybe I should run around my neighborhood naked, Do you have any cottage in your fridge?

People from all walks of life and professions are crying out: Please do not condemn people already living with Alzheimer's to a life locked up at home or in an assisted living program or in a nursing home. Please give them the access to society they deserve -- give them their human rights -- by investing in non-pharmacological approaches and not just drugs.

I recently circulated a petition to leaders in the field requesting that the National Advisory Panel include an expert who will champion non-pharmacological treatments for dementia. I want that this paradigm be considered seriously by the panel, that the panel promote evidence-based non-pharmacological practice, that research methodologies and methods be included that can capture the effects of these interventions on people with dementia, and that the human rights of both those living with dementia and caregivers be respected. The petition argues that the ethical dilemma of early diagnosis without any medical solution can be resolved through active application of the non-pharmacological approach.

The response was overwhelming in terms of numbers and professional positions of signers.

Let me be clear that we do not oppose research to find drugs that will cure Alzheimer's and other dementias. On the contrary, we hope that new discoveries will be made in time to help our children and our children's children.

But for those suffering now and for the generation of baby boomers, please join us to promote dignity in the lives of people with dementia, reduce the stigma and fear that surrounds Alzheimer's and other dementias, and give hope to the millions of people with dementia today and those who love and care for them.

Mr. President, please heed this call to appoint a champion of non-pharmacological treatments for dementia to your National Advisory Panel on Alzheimer's.

I laughed at the Fark line even though my mother finally expired, after five years of battling this disease, just over six months ago.

Here is the link to sign the petition to have a champion of nonpharmacological treatments for Alzheimer's appointed to the National Advisory Panel on Alzheimer's of the National Alzheimer's Project Act.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back