Data Shows Charter Schools Are Better Than Public Schools

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
bus-public-school.jpg

The study is for NYC schools, so I wonder how valid it is for other districts across the country.

In 2018, charter schools students in New York City scored 20 percent better than students in regular public schools.

And their margin of success grew four-fold over the past three years.

In 2018, only 45 percent of regular NYC public school students performed at grade level proficiency.

But 54 percent of New York City charter school students did so.

In 2016, charter school students out-performed regular public schools students by only 2 points (40 vs 38).

In 2017, they did 5 points better (45 vs 40).

In 2018, they did 9 points better (54 vs 45).

In all, 67,000 charter school students in New York City took the achievement tests.

A total of 1.1 million students are enrolled in the NYC public education system.

From Dick Morris: Data Shows Charter Schools Are Better Than Public Schools

bus-public-school.jpg

The study is for NYC schools, so I wonder how valid it is for other districts across the country.

In 2018, charter schools students in New York City scored 20 percent better than students in regular public schools.

In 2018, only 45 percent of regular NYC public school students performed at grade level proficiency.

In 2016, charter school students out-performed regular public schools students by only 2 points (40 vs 38).

In all, 67,000 charter school students in New York City took the achievement tests.

A total of 1.1 million students are enrolled in the NYC public education system.

If I picked the top players at every position in college football and formed a team, how well would you think that team would do against a random team?

If they did not perform better, you would have real news. Now? Not so much!

bus-public-school.jpg

If I picked the top players at every position in college football and formed a team, how well would you think that team would do against a random team?

If they did not perform better, you would have real news. Now? Not so much!

Your post Reminds me when the NBA players only got a bronze medal in the olympics..

In most states, charter schools can be all over the map in their performance when compared with the norm. They may have many different teaching philosophies, mix of students, and resources. In many cases the unions do their best to put the charter schools at a disadvantage. Each of them should be analyzed on its own.

In most states, charter schools can be all over the map in their performance when compared with the norm. They may have many different teaching philosophies, mix of students, and resources. In many cases the unions do their best to put the charter schools at a disadvantage. Each of them should be analyzed on its own.

What do unions have to do with charter schools? Are you yet another clueless education basher talking out of their ass?

First of all raw scores aren't what measures a school/teacher's success but rather the growth of the students. In my district every student is broken down into different levels (known as "buckets"). Let's say you have a class where all of your students earn either a 2 or a 3 bucket and your neighbor's class all scored a 4. At first glance it looks like that teacher kicked your ass. However if you start with kids in Bucket 1 and your neighbor started with all students in Bucket 4 then you did a much better job despite their raw scores being higher.

Public schools also can't easily kick out the kids who are only there for a free lunch and/or sell drugs or participate in other gang related activities. If you allowed me to cherry pick all of my own classes just from my school (let alone area), I guarantee you my raw scores could easily skyrocket with minimal-if any-work.

With all of this said I don't work in NY so I can't really comment either way on how traditional public schools do compared to charter schools.

Forum List

Back