Darrelle Revis returns to Jets

Alex.

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2014
" Revis Island is coming home.

Two years after (that fucking asshole) John Idzik dealt Darrelle Revis to the Bucs, the shutdown corner agreed to terms to re-sign with the Jets, his agents announced on twitter. In the process, Revis spurned the team he won the Super Bowl with in favor of the team that drafted him for a five-year, $70 million contract with $39 million in guaranteed money.
Darrelle Revis agrees to terms to return to Jets - NY Daily News

B_xxj-YWQAAS1ua.jpg

This is good for the game.

Waaaaaaaay too much money. He's not as good as he used to be. Dumb move.

• Banned
"Division dagger: Crushing blow for other AFC East teams. The Patriots loved having Revis on the roster, and it resulted in a Super Bowl. Tom Brady is the impetus for all good things that happen to New England but don't discount the impact of the defense on their championship. The Patriots will be just fine, but it stings losing Revis (back) to a rival.

Hurts for the Bills, too, because you know Rex Ryan has a jilted-lover thing going if he's watching Revis play for the Jets again. The Bills were rumored to be involved with Revis at one point. They probably helped drive up the price and surely they had a real shot, but it's got to hurt watching your best friend date your ex-wife.

Face of the franchise: Really wonder how much the idea of being "the guy" in New York matters to Revis. He wasn't "Revis Island" with the Patriots because people don't do that with the Pats. New England is a huge market but New York is the market. Revis is back to being the guy now in the biggest market in America and he's the biggest star on the team. Money is probably the biggest factor but this landing spot definitely provides a boost to Revis' personal brand."

Darrelle Revis signing with Jets 5 things to know - CBSSports.com

This is good for all concerned except the his former team. As a player Revis needs to do what his natural ability commands him to do, he could not do that much in the vice grip of Belichik control freak coaching style. The Jets need a leader and Revis needs to let loose.

• Banned
He is an equalizer. Smart move all around.

Nah I still look at the Jets as two easy wins.
Big deal that is not my point. This is not a New England thing this is a conference thing and a Jets thing. Even with the prospect of winning another SB, the Patriots could not keep Revis, he wanted to be back in New York.

B_xxjO5UcAIEhLR.jpg

Big deal that is not my point. This is not a New England thing this is a conference thing and a Jets thing. Even with the prospect of winning another SB, the Patriots could not keep Revis, he wanted to be back in New York.

B_xxjO5UcAIEhLR.jpg

He's notorious for chasing the money. The Jets were the only team desperate enough to pay him that much. They're still far from being good, especially with Genoa penciled in as their starter.

• Banned

B_xxjO5UcAIEhLR.jpg

He's notorious for chasing the money. The Jets were the only team desperate enough to pay him that much. They're still far from being good, especially with Genoa penciled in as their starter.

uh huh. what better way to chase the money than to be part of a potentially five time SB winning team with the best quarterback and the best coach in the history and future of the NFL. Revis could have written his own ticket in endorsements and commercials etc. That is where the real money is not in salary. There is more to this story. Anyway he is happy to be back with his former team and they need him for his play-ablity and those intangibles like his field presence, his swagger etc.

• Banned
"Patriots Blew It With Darrelle Revis, Plain and Simple

The Patriots blew it. Plain and simple.

No need for haughty words. Contrarian babble. The rationalization of State Run Media. Or statistical nonsense about how this All-Universe Cornerback really didn't help the Patriots as much as we thought.

It appears New England let the cornerstone of its Super Bowl-winning defensive secondary walk for the difference of $5 or so million guaranteed over five years. It's embarrassing to think that was the case with a franchise that could fetch $3 billion on the open market, that generated more than $428 million in revenue [in 2013], and owned by someone who's worth about $4.2 billion, at least according to Forbes."

Patriots Blew It With Darrelle Revis Plain and Simple - Obnoxious Boston Fan - Boston.com

The Flats were caught flatfooted and let a great player go. This is from a Boston based newspaper.

Ya, there was alot of talk around here about hoping they sign him before the 4:00 deadline.

We should have done what we needed to do to keep him.

Once he was gone the defensive scheme changed drastically. smh

agreed.Defense is not the problem for the jets.offense is.they don't have a quarterback.their starting QB has no future as a starter in the NFL. that being said,I totally agree with you,dumb move and way too much money.

Now that revis has a ring and has all this new money,he will get lazy and not work hard anymore especially since now he is playing on a losing team.

stupid move on the jets.totally agree,the jets still are two easy wins for your bills.till they get a new quarterback they always will be.

B_xxjO5UcAIEhLR.jpg

exactly,the jets are far from being a good team as long as Geno is penciled in as a starter.with this huge money being paid to a player that jumps ship all the time,now that he has a superbowl ring he is going to coast now. the guy cant commit to ONE team.bad move on the jets part.as we agree,defense is not the problem here,the quarterback position is.

this move by the jets doesn't surprise me in the least though.they were stupid enough to make a trade for that cancer percy harvin so does THIS move really surprise anyone here?:biggrin:

Last edited:
Good sign by the Jets if for no other reason Revis will no longer be a Patriot.

I am not sure why the Pats didn't try to resign him, however they are defending Super Bowl champs and seem to know what they are doing.

I don't see Revis adding anymore wins.

I am not sure why the Pats didn't try to resign him, however they are defending Super Bowl champs and seem to know what they are doing.

They did try and were 5 million short. They also let go of Browning and Wilfork. The Flats wanting things their own way and word is they could not come up with the escrow for the guaranteed money due to cap constraints or maybe another reason. As it stands Revis still counts 5 million against the cap for next year.

B_xxjO5UcAIEhLR.jpg

exactly,the jets are far from being a good team as long as Geno is penciled in as a starter.with this huge money being paid to a player that jumps ship all the time,now that he has a superbowl ring he is going to coast now. the guy cant commit to ONE team.bad move on the jets part.as we agree,defense is not the problem here,the quarterback position is.

this move by the jets doesn't surprise me in the least though.they were stupid enough to make a trade for that cancer percy harvin so does THIS move really surprise anyone here?:biggrin:
Patriots did want him and tried to retain him they were short 5 million.

They did try and were 5 million short. They also let go of Browning and Wilfork. The Flats wanting things their own way and word is they could not come up with the escrow for the guaranteed money due to cap constraints or maybe another reason. As it stands Revis still counts 5 million against the cap for next year.

Source?

From what I'm hearing, the Patriots may have bowed out of the bidding war as early as Monday night, essentially allowing the Jets to bid against themselves, and also that the two offers (Pats and Jets) were not remotely close.

Which shouldn't surprise anyone. The Patriots are not a team that overspends on players, no matter how good they are. First ballot Hall of Famer and possible GOAT Tom Brady is going to make $8 million next year. Jay Cutler made $22.5 million last year. It's just the way they do things in Foxboro.

I'd have loved for them to keep Revis, but I'm also okay with him basically being a one year rental that helped get them a 4th ring.

Source?

From what I'm hearing, the Patriots may have bowed out of the bidding war as early as Monday night, essentially allowing the Jets to bid against themselves, and also that the two offers (Pats and Jets) were not remotely close.

Which shouldn't surprise anyone. The Patriots are not a team that overspends on players, no matter how good they are. First ballot Hall of Famer and possible GOAT Tom Brady is going to make $8 million next year. Jay Cutler made $22.5 million last year. It's just the way they do things in Foxboro.

I'd have loved for them to keep Revis, but I'm also okay with him basically being a one year rental that helped get them a 4th ring.
Look at post 9

Source?

Look at post 9

I didn't see anything in that article saying that the Pats couldn't come up with the money like you claimed, just a lot of butthurt anger that they wouldn't. And like I said, reports are starting to come in indicating that the gap between the two offers might've been substantial. We don't know what the Pats offer was, maybe we'll find out, that stuff usually leaks somehow.

Btw, anyone remember how mad people were that the Pats wouldn't match Welker's offer from the Broncos? Or when they traded Logan Mankins and apparently the sky was falling? Obviously Revis is a player on an entirely different level, but the Patriots front office have made plenty of unpopular decisions about players over the year and they're still averaging 12 wins a season and just won the Super Bowl. So, as always, In Bill I Trust.

Forum List

Back