Dark matter captured for the first time

I, like Chris, give The Obamessiah 100% of the credit for this discovery. The Obamessiah has fostered a climate of scientific curiosity that simply did not exist prior to The Obamessiah's arrival in his current human form. You see, we worshipers of The Obamessiah know that The Obamassiah is actually dark matter itself! The Obamessiah IS the building block of all life in the known and unknown universe. Praise him upon high!!! The Obamessiah has risen!!!

I, like Chris, give The Obamessiah 100% of the credit for this discovery. The Obamessiah has fostered a climate of scientific curiosity that simply did not exist prior to The Obamessiah's arrival in his current human form. You see, we worshipers of The Obamessiah know that The Obamassiah is actually dark matter itself! The Obamessiah IS the building block of all life in the known and unknown universe. Praise him upon high!!! The Obamessiah has risen!!!

Interesting how the right wing nuts can't react to any issue without making it political.

How sad.

Interesting how the right wing nuts can't react to any issue without making it political.

How sad.

You post a news story on a political message board and you are surprised when it turns to politics? You are really not all there are you?

How sad.

Sad?? Stop lying!! Obamabots like you are incapable of feeling any emotion except the two "approved emotions":
1) Hate - for those that disagree with you.
2) Love - for The Obamessiah, trees, and redistributive policies.

Dark matter and dark energy are still unknowns.
No no... currently this is still in the realm of science fiction. It's up there with string theory. Hints that it exists but no proof of anything.

Ugh... Ether. How about Caloric Fluid?

You realize, of course that M-Theory (the unified theory that emerged from the competing string theories) has succeeded where other models have failed, right? Theory and scifi are not the same thing.

☭proletarian☭;1827774 said:
Dark matter and dark energy are still unknowns.
No no... currently this is still in the realm of science fiction. It's up there with string theory. Hints that it exists but no proof of anything.

Ugh... Ether. How about Caloric Fluid?

You realize, of course that M-Theory (the unified theory that emerged from the competing string theories) has succeeded where other models have failed, right? Theory and scifi are not the same thing.
True. Sci Fi and Theory often cross pollinate. And no, I didn't know that someone supposedly unified string theory. Last I heard it was still being fought out over what shape the strings were.

And no, I didn't know that someone supposedly unified string theory. Last I heard it was still being fought out over what shape the strings were.

'String theory' can refer to some seven or eight rival theories that all appeared to work yet were mutually exclusive with one-another (that happens a lot in physics, actually). M-theory arouse from the unification of those theories, although you're correct in stating that much of te details are still being debated.

This series is a tad dated, but still provides an excellent introduction to M-Theory.

NOVA | The Elegant Universe | Watch the Program | PBS

☭proletarian☭;1827866 said:
And no, I didn't know that someone supposedly unified string theory. Last I heard it was still being fought out over what shape the strings were.

'String theory' can refer to some seven or eight rival theories that all appeared to work yet were mutually exclusive with one-another (that happens a lot in physics, actually). M-theory arouse from the unification of those theories, although you're correct in stating that much of te details are still being debated.

This series is a tad dated, but still provides an excellent introduction to M-Theory.

NOVA | The Elegant Universe | Watch the Program | PBS
That's what I saw that tipped me off to the whole debate. Been many a year.

Still can't get video. Dialup.

Since we're talking theoretically...is now a good time to discuss the "multiverse"? No one knows how much matter is in any "universe" any any given time, if any given time really existed....

I just wonder how the hell they found it in an old iron mine in Minnesota. The whole thing so far is kind fishy.

Well, the places where they lay the pucks of Germanium to detect it, well.......they kinda need to be placed in a shielded environment (like a mine), because otherwise, all the other matter will be noticed before the dark matter.

Incidentally, yes, there are MANY places where science fiction and science cross pollinate.

Ever heard of Jules Verne? How about Gene Roddenberry and Star Trek? You DO realize that the iPhone is a VERY close cousin to some of the stuff that Bones carried around in the 50's, right?

How about your flip phones? Very similar to a tricorder.

Need I go on?

I just wonder how the hell they found it in an old iron mine in Minnesota. The whole thing so far is kind fishy.

Well, the places where they lay the pucks of Germanium to detect it, well.......they kinda need to be placed in a shielded environment (like a mine), because otherwise, all the other matter will be noticed before the dark matter.

Incidentally, yes, there are MANY places where science fiction and science cross pollinate.

Ever heard of Jules Verne? How about Gene Roddenberry and Star Trek? You DO realize that the iPhone is a VERY close cousin to some of the stuff that Bones carried around in the 50's, right?

Need I go on?
Kevin Siembeda? Is that you?

800HC.jpg

Yes I know that Sci Fi inspired technology we have today.

BTW do you have an ap to detect life at a distance? ;)

How sad.

You post a news story on a political message board and you are surprised when it turns to politics? You are really not all there are you?

There's nothing politcal about dark matter.

You are really not all there are you?

the article wasn't very clear. they didn't find a lump of dark matter sitting in the bottom of the mineshaft, that's just where they put the detectors. not unlike the neutrino detectors that signaled the supernova of 1981.

the article wasn't very clear. they didn't find a lump of dark matter sitting in the bottom of the mineshaft, that's just where they put the detectors. not unlike the neutrino detectors that signaled the supernova of 1981.

And with the LHC coming on line, we are going to see some amazing discoveries in the next few years.

And with the LHC coming on line, we are going to see some amazing discoveries in the next few years.

I hope so. theoretical scientists get too inbred with their ideas unless new physical evidence gives them something to work with. the new space telescopes should produce lots of new things to try and figure out as well

I hope so. theoretical scientists get too inbred with their ideas unless new physical evidence gives them something to work with. the new space telescopes should produce lots of new things to try and figure out as well

Plus, the internet has made scientific advancements easily available to everyone. That combined with greater computing power will increase our knowledge exponentially.

Time to act is now. If we do nothing, the world as we know could end. That’s why we should think of our children and grand children and make sure they have a future. Congress should immediately, by the end of day, push the 3000 pages of legislation written by the United Steel Workers and commit $2 trillion dollars for research of dark matter...

Forum List

Back