Damsel......A Netfix Movie Worth Watching

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
Damsel was a pleasant surprise.

Excellent acting and great effects. It actually had a plot that was redeeming and interesting.

The plot wasn't overly woke and it was exciting stuff. There was a bit of role reversal, but that can be overlooked because it was actually believable instead of absolutely ridiculous like most Disney or Amazon films recently.

Damsel stars Milly Bobbie Brown famous for her role in "Stranger Things", "Enola Holmes" and "Godzilla".

The plot is about a kingdom that has an agreement with a dragon to toss virgins into his it's pit in sacrifice to keep it from attacking the town.
I recommend this one, which is rare these days.

Last edited:

Excellent acting and great effects. It actually had a plot that was redeeming and interesting.

The plot wasn't overly woke and it was exciting stuff. There was a bit of role reversal, but that can be overlooked because it was actually believable instead of absolutely ridiculous like most Disney or Amazon films recently.

Damsel stars Milly Bobbie Brown famous for her role in "Stranger Things", "Enola Holmes" and "Godzilla".

The plot is about a kingdom that has an agreement with a dragon to toss virgins into his it's pit in sacrifice to keep it from attacking the town.

I'll watch it, with thanks. Saint George and the Dragon never gets old. One of my favorite examples is Dragonslayer.

If this one has a Georgina instead of a George to fight the dragon, I don't mind that. Or if one of the virgins goes rogue and fights back, even better. I love strong and independent women, which describes every female in my family.

DAMN anyone who is willing to ruin women's and girls' sports in order to make some bizarre political point.

I'll watch it, with thanks. Saint George and the Dragon never gets old. One of my favorite examples is Dragonslayer.

If this one has a Georgina instead of a George to fight the dragon, I don't mind that. Or if one of the virgins goes rogue and fights back, even better. I love strong and independent women, which describes every female in my family.

DAMN anyone who is willing to ruin women's and girls' sports in order to make some bizarre political point.
I won't post any spoilers.......but the plot showed men the way the left thinks of them.

Still, I can ignore that because the film turned out to be pretty decent, bordering on excellent.

I recommend this one, which is rare these days.

I found the movie mildly entraining. Had I been a big action adventure fan, I probably would have liked it much more. I found the story to be very good. Milly Bobbie Brown was good in her role. I thought the first part of the movie drug a bit and the script was at best OK.

What was wokey in the movie?

I found the movie mildly entraining. Had I been a big action adventure fan, I probably would have liked it much more. I found the story to be very good. Milly Bobbie Brown was good in her role. I thought the first part of the movie drug a bit and the script was at best OK.

What was wokey in the movie?
The men were almost all cowards or two-faced. The Prince seemed to have no problem with dumping his new bride into a pit with a fire-breathing Dragon.
And all of the men screamed like women when they faced the Dragon.

If you couldn't spot that then you're assuming that's always the case.

The men were almost all cowards or two-faced. The Prince seemed to have no problem with dumping his new bride into a pit with a fire-breathing Dragon.
And all of the men screamed like women when they faced the Dragon.

If you couldn't spot that then you're assuming that's always the case.
I thought you might have been referring to the Black step-mother. It seems like you want to see the old movie stereotypes. You know in the good old days when men were men and women were women, whatever the fuck that means. Truth is hero's are rare and cowards are very common and their sex is irrelevant. In theatrical presentations, the supporting cast to a super hero will be portrayed as weak or coward.

Oh well, I guess we need to add cowardly men and strong women in movies to the long woke list.

I thought you might have been referring to the Black step-mother. It seems like you want to see the old movie stereotypes. You know in the good old days when men were men and women were women, whatever the fuck that means. Truth is hero's are rare and cowards are very common and their sex is irrelevant. In theatrical presentations, the supporting cast to a super hero will be portrayed as weak or coward.

Oh well, I guess we need to add cowardly men and strong women in movies to the long woke list.
I think I'm getting a little numb to the inappropriate race reversals and I'm focusing on the obvious.

There wasn't really one single man in the film that was worthy.
The princess was the hero......but the way the story turned out was satisfying, for obvious reasons.

Watched it last night. I agree with Mud that it is worth watching. Well done, the dragon creature was also well done and believable. The story is good, script good etc.
It is a good movie.
Where I differ a little is the "Fem Power" part. It is true that it is not as bad as fem power movies by Disney, but it is still pretty bad. Rather than making men stupid and weak, they are essentially non existent. They are there, but with only two exceptions, the father and the Prince - they are like stand ins. The don't speak, they don't react - they just stand there while the women do all the talking and taking action.
It is weird. And obviously done on purpose.
There is enough Fem "super power" in it that makes parts of it quite laughable. For instance, in one scene she injures her leg badly, and is screaming out in pain. She limps along... and then literally 20 seconds later in the film, within the same scene, she runs and leaps across a large crevice and the injury just went away.
The dragon effortlessly beats the tar out of 15 soldiers, but Fem superpower character - equally effortlessly stabs the dragon twice and almost kills it.

One more note - Milly Bobby Brown isn't going to win any awards for her acting. She is not very good.

Nonsense. You are projecting what you want others to be thinking, then want to admonish them and see yourself as superior for not thinking what you projected on them.
I gave you plenty of examples in the past of strong female characters that no one complained about.
Sigourney Weaver in Alien, now you wanna talk about a strong female... who is stronger than her character??
No one complained. Why? Because they didn't make all the men around her weak and stupid in order to make her look strong.
Another - Private Vasquez... again, very strong female character that was totally kick ass. Again - no one complains, why - because they didn't make all the men around her weak and stupid.

Another - Clarice Darling in Silence of the Lambs... smart, risky clearly took on a character that was traditionally more "male-like" than female. No one complained. Why? Because they didn't make all the men look weak and stupid in order to make her look bad ass.

Are you getting the gist yet? See a pattern?

You want us to dislike strong female characters, that is not it. At all.
Movies that made women look stupid and weak was wrong.
Movies that make men look stupid and weak is wrong.
Both are sexist.

The Critical Drinker says that the movie is shit.

Of all the movie critics The Drinker is the one I have the most faith in. He seems to always be right.

I'll pass.

His problems with the movie:

1. Negroes in Medieval Northern Europe just for the sake of diversity. Piss on the Hollywood Libtards.

2. Males are the weak and conniving while the women are strong.

3. Bad acting

4. Bad story line

The Critical Drinker says that the movie is shit.

Of all the movie critics The Drinker is the one I have the most faith in. He seems to always be right.

I'll pass.

His problems with the movie:

1. Negroes in Medieval Northern Europe just for the sake of diversity. Piss on the Hollywood Libtards.

2. Males are the weak and conniving while the women are strong.

3. Bad acting

4. Bad story line

Critical Drinker is pretty good... caveat... as long as you approach his opinions with the knowledge he is overwhelmingly negative.
And on this one, I disagree that the story line is bad. It is actually pretty good, and I am known as being a bit too critical myself. The acting I agree, Milly Brown is pretty bad. She overacts. Tries too hard, not natural. If someone like Natalie Portman was the lead role - what a difference that would make.
And the males were not conniving, the queen had that in spades. They were just non existent. Like NPCs in video games. Present, but do nothing.

Critical Drinker is pretty good... caveat... as long as you approach his opinions with the knowledge he is overwhelmingly negative.
And on this one, I disagree that the story line is bad. It is actually pretty good, and I am known as being a bit too critical myself. The acting I agree, Milly Brown is pretty bad. She overacts. Tries too hard, not natural. If someone like Natalie Portman was the lead role - what a difference that would make.
And the males were not conniving, the queen had that in spades. They were just non existent. Like NPCs in video games. Present, but do nothing.
He is not overly critical. It is just like that most of the crap coming out of Hollywood nowadays is deserving of ridicule.

I have seen him praise movies and admit when he had low expectations and the movie turned out to be good.

I think I have agreed with him on anything that he reviewed that I saw. He is my go to movie reviewer. If he says it is shit, like he did for this movie, I will put it on the bottom of my "must see" list. Maybe I will watch it sometime when there is nothing else on but maybe not even then.

I doubt Netfix or the Hollywood dickheads that made the movie will care one way or another. They are still getting my monthly subscription money whether I watch the movie or not.

He is not overly critical. It is just like that most of the crap coming out of Hollywood nowadays is deserving of ridicule.

I have seen him praise movies and admit when he had low expectations and the movie turned out to be good.

I think I have agreed with him on anything that he reviewed that I saw. He is my go to movie reviewer. If he says it is shit, like he did for this movie, I will put it on the bottom of my "must see" list. Maybe I will watch it sometime when there is nothing else on but maybe not even then.

I doubt Netfix or the Hollywood dickheads that made the movie will care one way or another. They are still getting my monthly subscription money whether I watch the movie or not.
My personal opinion is Netflix went "Fem Superpower Light" on this on purpose.
Obviously they are aware, with few exceptions, that Fem Superpower movies are getting killed at the box office.
So instead of making the FemPower character a 110lb. female beating the shit out of a platoon of marines who all have an average IQ of 68... she beats up a Dragon that killed a platoon of Marines with an average IQ of 68.
And instead of having the women in the movie outsmarting and making fun of a cast of Dumb and Dumber men - they just make the men stand around and literally do nothing.

It seems most conservatives believe the public doesn't want to see Woke movies and Hollywood is losing money making them and shoving down the throat of audiences.

The facts are far different.

Barbie was declared by conservative reviews:"
"A total woke movie"
"Wokest movie of the year"
"Feminist Crap"
"A woke movie that will fail at box office"

Barbie was the number 1 movie at the box office in 2023, both domestic and world wide grossing 1.4 Billion.

In the top ten only number number 5. Fast X and number 8. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1 were declared woke free.

7. Wonka, 8 Little Mermaid, and 10. Elemental were called complete woke

The remainder were considered somewhat wokey.

The Simple fact is Hollywood makes Wokey movies because they make big bucks as long as the story, acting, and script are good.

Forum List

Back