Damn We Were Warned What Would Happen If The Races Started Mixing

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
'Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae)' Live!

After this father-daughter duo's video went viral on ellentube, Ellen had them perform live on her show! Little did they know that they'd be performing alongside the artist behind the song and dance craze, Silentó!​

The funny thing is once somebody gets over the idea of race, anything is possible.

Dancing cop vs. abusive cop: One defused a defiant teen. The other got fired.

In Washington, police showed up in a neighborhood near the Nationals baseball stadium to break up a fight between two groups of teens. After it was over, 17-year-old Aaliyah Taylor, a senior at Ballou High School, walked up to the officer and started playing “Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae)” on her phone. Instead of clearing out, as the police officer had demanded that she and the rest of the crowd do, she started dancing the Nae Nae. You could totally see a teen doing this, right?

That officer had a choice. Yell at the teen for being defiant and disrespectful? Go rogue and slam the teen to the ground, South Carolina-style?

Nope. Instead, the officer began dancing, too, matching Aaliyah move for move. It was a hilarious, uplifting and refreshing 56 seconds of video that immediately went viral.

It shouldn’t be news that a police officer used her humanity to defuse a tense situation instead of escalating it, that a white cop didn’t use force against a black teen. But for many people in Aaliyah’s community, it was.

[From Chocolate City to Latte City: Being black in the new D.C.]

“Instead of us fighting, she tried to turn it around and make it something fun,” Aaliyah said. “I never expected cops to be that cool. There are some good cops.”

Yes, Aaliyah, there are some good cops.

The police officer, who has been on the force for about three years and recently returned from a tour of duty in Iraq, told The Post she was embarrassed that her take on community policing had gotten so much attention.

“This is what we do every day,” she said.

D.C. Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier later reinforced that, issuing a statement calling the dance-off one “of the many positive police-community interactions that take place daily in Washington, D.C.”

But it’s also true that Bad Cops — and the long-standing refusal of many departments and prosecutors to hold them accountable for their actions — ruin the reputation, hard work and personal sacrifice of the tens of thousands of Good Cops.

After this father-daughter duo's video went viral on ellentube, Ellen had them perform live on her show! Little did they know that they'd be performing alongside the artist behind the song and dance craze, Silentó!​

The funny thing is once somebody gets over the idea of race, anything is possible.

You should see all the white girls lose it at sporting events at my kids high school when this song comes on! :laugh:

I see a future for the little girl as a video dancer. :laugh:

You should see all the white girls lose it at sporting events at my kids high school when this song comes on! :laugh:

Kids having fun! It's the end of the world according to stupid people. I remember soul, r&b, funk it was supposed to ruin America, And those dance moves? Disgraceful! :rofl:

Kids are often light years ahead of us adults when it comes to seeing the future

I see a future for the little girl as a video dancer. :laugh:

Heck, her dad could book clubs and make some extra cash for the family all while having a blast. Probably already happening :D

people will get along when the voices of hatred and fear are dealt with. I don't mean silenced, for silencing opposition only pushes it underground.

The biggest white racists in my neighborhood growing up, had kids or grand kids, or relatives who married blacks and Hispanics. Was a game changer.

Not saying there were no black or hispanic asshole racists, but them being a minority they carried very little weight

Forum List

Back