Czech arms export to Saudi Arabia rising

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Ministry report shows sharp increase in sales; human rights experts concerned
Prague, Dec 15 (ČTK) — Czech arms dealers have “discovered” Saudi Arabia and the military material export to the country has risen more than six times in the past two years, daily Mladá fronta Dnes (MfD) writes today, citing data from the Industry and Trade Ministry.

However, Western politicians have shown rising opposition to the armament business due to Riyad’s policy that makes Saudi Arabia a source of international instability, the daily writes.

In 2014, when Czech arms dealers found a new lucrative market outlet in Saudi Arabia, they exported weapons worth Kč 1.9 billion to the country. This is the highest sum since 2005 when the ministry started monitoring the data, the paper writes.

According to the ministry’s annual report for 2014, the exports to Saudi Arabia made up 16 percent of the total Czech arms exports that year, six times more than in 2013, the daily writes.

Naturally, the weapons were not exported by the Czech state but by private companies that need the relevant license. The licenses are granted by the Industry and Trade Ministry, which consults their issuance with the Interior Ministry, Defense Ministry and mainly the Foreign Ministry which decides in accordance with the country’s foreign policy and interests abroad, MfD writes.

Read more: Czech arms export to Saudi Arabia rising
Follow us: @praguepost on Twitter | praguepost on Facebook

Sound the alarms. I don't think Saudi Arabia requested approval.

So you are saying the US should be the only ones selling arms to Saudi Arabia?

Nope. That's the attitude that I'm reading.

No the policies in the Czech republic allow such sales, so I am not sure what the point of your post is..

Of course they do. That is not the argument.

Then what is it?

Nobody appears to do any moaning or question human rights when any of the Western countries arm Saudi Arabia. It's laughable at this point for anyone to question Yemen.

Forum List

Back