Curious about the bouncing lately...

ThisIsMe

Gold Member
Dec 16, 2017
So, we have seen the wild swings in the market these past few weeks. 900 point swings in one day, and that got me wondering about a couple of things.

It almost makes me think something is staged here. How is it that the market can start 200 points high, then with no new news, nothing from the fed or any news from around the world that is noteworthy, and the dow will drop to -500, then a few hours later, it will jump back into positive territory?

It just seems weird, it's like confidence is high, then out of the blue, people suddenly lose confidence, then a little while later, they're like, "oh ok, it's all good again".

The fluctuations are just wild.

Also, it makes me wonder if a lot of this has to do with this AI that is running the markets. I've heard on the radio that something like 80% of the trades that happen now are done completely by computer, with, what I suppose to be, no human interaction. Our markets are being controlled by a computer algorithm.

How can this be a good thing? Human instinct and intuition are key for making good trades.

Are we looking at potential disaster by allowing so much of our market to be controlled by computers?

So, we have seen the wild swings in the market these past few weeks. 900 point swings in one day, and that got me wondering about a couple of things.

It almost makes me think something is staged here. How is it that the market can start 200 points high, then with no new news, nothing from the fed or any news from around the world that is noteworthy, and the dow will drop to -500, then a few hours later, it will jump back into positive territory?

It just seems weird, it's like confidence is high, then out of the blue, people suddenly lose confidence, then a little while later, they're like, "oh ok, it's all good again".

Also, it makes me wonder if a lot of this has to do with this AI that is running the markets. I've heard on the radio that something like 80% of the trades that happen now are done completely by computer, with, what I suppose to be, no human interaction. Our markets are being controlled by a computer algorithm.

How can this be a good thing? Human instinct and intuition are key for making good trades.

Are we looking at potential disaster by allowing so much of our market to be controlled by computers?
/——-/ Yes. The market ran up 500 points on tariff confidence and the next day dropped 500 points because the market was “concerned “ about the tariff war. It was pure manipulation. I now own both bull and bear ETFs and buy or sell accordingly. Almost making me a day trader.

My take on what matters:
Dividends matter,
Option premiums matter
If I go back into DRIP/DIP market then discounts on purchases for more cash or reinvestment will matter to me.

All of the above adds to my net spendable and I refuse to worry about, much less buy, anything that does not increase my net spendable.

All I know is I have a small passive managed account at an investment firm and I'm seeing my balance dwindle each day.

I'm just hoping it all recovers soon enough but I am kind of concerned that we have just turned everyone's retirement over to a computer and are allowing it to make decisions with our money.

Does anyone else not think this is wrong?

All I know is I have a small passive managed account at an investment firm and I'm seeing my balance dwindle each day.

I'm just hoping it all recovers soon enough but I am kind of concerned that we have just turned everyone's retirement over to a computer and are allowing it to make decisions with our money.

Does anyone else not think this is wrong?
/----/ never let anyone manage your money. Do your homework and make your own decisions

Unfortunately, I'm not market savvy and have never had any experience in investing. I would likely not be very good at doing it, plus, I simply dont have time to watch markets and do the trading on my own

Unfortunately, I'm not market savvy and have never had any experience in investing. I would likely not be very good at doing it, plus, I simply dont have time to watch markets and do the trading on my own
First we need some facts. How much of market is algo driven? Think the algos themselves need to be analyzed. IF regular people can see this I dont understand why its not being discussed in the news or halls of power.

/----/ If you don't have time to learn and follow the market, you shouldn't be investing. Put your money in Bank CDs. They are safe and generate a small return. But you have time to post on a message board????

While I agree with Cellblock why not join your local investment club and take Buffett's advice: Don't invest like Buffett.

While I agree with Cellblock why not join your local investment club and take Buffett's advice: Don't invest like Buffett.
/---/ This book helped me more than anything else. It's 12 years old, but the information is still the best. You can get it from your local library then buy it for constant reference if you find it useful.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GCFCQE/?tag=ff0d01-20
51V5FQfTeZL.jpg

First we need some facts. How much of market is algo driven? Think the algos themselves need to be analyzed. IF regular people can see this I dont understand why its not being discussed in the news or halls of power.
Well, I was hearing that about 80% of the trades that happen on the stock market is now done by computers, not people.

/----/ If you don't have time to learn and follow the market, you shouldn't be investing. Put your money in Bank CDs. They are safe and generate a small return. But you have time to post on a message board????
Yep, I have an investment firm do it for me because they know more than I do. And yes, I can post on a message board here and there, because, posting here takes a couple of minutes, compared to the years it would take to learn and truly understand the market and how to invest my money to make it grow.

Also, the money is from a rollover 401k, so I can't really do anything with it without incurring a tax penalty.

Investment club? Tell me more. First I'm hearing of this.

Yep, I have an investment firm do it for me because they know more than I do. And yes, I can post on a message board here and there, because, posting here takes a couple of minutes, compared to the years it would take to learn and truly understand the market and how to invest my money to make it grow.
Just use equal piles like stocks, bonds and REITs. Invented in the 1800s it still beats the market but it is also boring.

Google NAIC investment clubs and AAII investment clubs and you can check out both of the closest ones.

/----/ Here is some info. A simple google search for Investment clubs near me will find local ones you can join, usually for free.
Joining an Investment Club

And here is a great link: Investment Club Meetups in New York - Meetup
They aren't all created equal. You have to find one that works for you.

Just use equal piles like stocks, bonds and REITs. Invented in the 1800s it still beats the market but it is also boring.
Boring is fine as long as the balance goes up [emoji16]

maybe this coming Monday we can get a 'dead reindear bounce' :21:

We've been watching the stock market indices on the financial channels for a few weeks now. The other day, my wife said that it looked like just computers playing AI games with each other.

Forum List

Back