Crate training

That vicious shake is pure terrier, though. That's how they kill stuff. I know that shake well lol.

The first day he was here, he discovered this "AngryBird" latex toy - he shook it so hard, it flew out of his mouth and lodged in the couch pillows - he spent a good five minutes circling the couch, sniffing and airscenting trying to find it - he wouldn't give up until he found it.
He sure is pretty!

Mylo catches birds out of the air. She once killed a robin while wearing a muzzle. She also loses interest - the second they expire. She goes after snakes but has never figured out how to kill one.

Thank God Malcolm doesn't go after snakes. Out here, they'd be likely to be rattlesnakes or sidewinders.

Mylo catches birds out of the air. She once killed a robin while wearing a muzzle. She also loses interest - the second they expire. She goes after snakes but has never figured out how to kill one.

Thank God Malcolm doesn't go after snakes. Out here, they'd be likely to be rattlesnakes or sidewinders.

Ugh...we have more benign snakes...we do have timber rattlers and copperheads but I have only encountered them rarely.

One of my former dogs, a sheltie mix Abby conducted a very brave campaign of leap, snatch and toss with a ... shed snakeskin :lol:

No poisonous snakes here, just garters and non venomous water snakes.

I don't believe in crating a dog.

Just sayin'.

And if not crating works for you - all the better :)

All of my dogs have been crate trained - the difference it makes in housebreaking is huge. They don't all need to be crated later on - in fact, they can all be trusted loose but they can't all be trusted together.

I don't believe in mylo pissing and crapping on the floor 15x a day and attacking you children and other animals. I am the end of the road for her. There is no reason she can't chill in a crate when I'm out or we have company. The alternative for her is death. Nobody else will adopt her. Even if they did, it would break her heart.

I don't believe in mylo pissing and crapping on the floor 15x a day and attacking you children and other animals. I am the end of the road for her. There is no reason she can't chill in a crate when I'm out or we have company. The alternative for her is death. Nobody else will adopt her. Even if they did, it would break her heart.

I agree.

You're protecting her from herself and quite likely reducing the anxiety she has about being in situations that she can't handle and her behavior is telling you that.

If a dog doesn't need a crate, that is wonderful - but that isn't always the case and it's not cruel when used properly. I keep finding dogs in crates, even when the door is open...cats too...sometimes both...

She's going in hers more and more frequently. She hasn't peed in there once today....

She's going in hers more and more frequently. She hasn't peed in there once today....

Yay! That IS progress :)

(she is a cute little devil)
Devil being the operative word, haha. When I got her, she had no white at all around her eyes! She is an amazing example of the breed standard. You know how they dock their tails long? It's supposed to be a hand's breadth, it is the "handle" of a prt. Handlers pull them off prey or out of holes by their tails. It's supposed to be strong enough for that. Hers is, I've pulled her off things a few times that way.

Devil being the operative word, haha. When I got her, she had no white at all around her eyes! She is an amazing example of the breed standard. You know how they dock their tails long? It's supposed to be a hand's breadth, it is the "handle" of a prt. Handlers pull them off prey or out of holes by their tails. It's supposed to be strong enough for that. Hers is, I've pulled her off things a few times that way.

I don't know much about terriers except they're tough smart dogs - I never thought I'd have one but I am pretty sure there is some in Dash. I'm a hardcore herding dog addict but I'm trying to expand my horizons - Rosie is part Akita, my last foster was a beagle mix (sweet smart dog, but hubby wasn't too happy when he trenched the back yard...plus...couldn't be off leash). I see a lot of Jacks (or Parsons - not sure which) in our area - they're popular, but seem to vary a lot. The ones in our classes have been smart - very smart, and they do good in the tricks classes.

Mylo is a huge tangled ball of issues, most of which have to do with her breeding. Super intense prey drive, super dominant, moderately aggressive. Her reaction to the CRATE was anxiety driven, but we're dealing with that now. She could run all day...the more she exercises the higher her behavior amps up. Ultimately, she's a hard core hunting dog that doesn't hunt. Our lives will be improved if she can be crated. For one thing, I won't want to kill her because she craps on the carpet if she's left alone for two minutes (also a dominance based issue).
She craps because she's mad you left her alone.

The only way to train a hard-headed dog is crate them while you're at work. Make sure you take her out before you leave....and don't give her anything to eat or drink after she's been outside to potty. Praise her when she goes outside. She has to get so she looks forward to doing her business outside.

I don't know much about terriers except they're tough smart dogs - I never thought I'd have one but I am pretty sure there is some in Dash. I'm a hardcore herding dog addict but I'm trying to expand my horizons - Rosie is part Akita, my last foster was a beagle mix (sweet smart dog, but hubby wasn't too happy when he trenched the back yard...plus...couldn't be off leash). I see a lot of Jacks (or Parsons - not sure which) in our area - they're popular, but seem to vary a lot. The ones in our classes have been smart - very smart, and they do good in the tricks classes.
Yes they do vary. I've never been big on terriers..the only dog that ever bit me as a child was my uncle's tiny little terrier, Cindy. Uncle worked making docks and developing roads and parking lots for the state. He was a strong, beautiful, smart man who had run radio line ahead of the front line in Korea. He always had a terrier. He brought one home from overseas. He refused to leave it behind, he said Koreans were terrible to dogs and that particular one had saved him many times.

Anyway, we'd go visit him at his house, and he would be in his recliner with his feet up, and Cindy in the crook of his arm, and she viciously attacked anybody who invaded his personal space lolol. Or pointed at her.

I love all dogs and find them fascinating. They always surprise me. Mylo has surprised me. She has such a big heart, and she's so darned brave, it's impossible not to admire her. It took her fully two years to recover from being rehomed...though I didn't realize it until after two years had passed, and I got to know her better. She's special but then, so are they all.

Mylo is a huge tangled ball of issues, most of which have to do with her breeding. Super intense prey drive, super dominant, moderately aggressive. Her reaction to the CRATE was anxiety driven, but we're dealing with that now. She could run all day...the more she exercises the higher her behavior amps up. Ultimately, she's a hard core hunting dog that doesn't hunt. Our lives will be improved if she can be crated. For one thing, I won't want to kill her because she craps on the carpet if she's left alone for two minutes (also a dominance based issue).
She craps because she's mad you left her alone.

The only way to train a hard-headed dog is crate them while you're at work. Make sure you take her out before you leave....and don't give her anything to eat or drink after she's been outside to potty. Praise her when she goes outside. She has to get so she looks forward to doing her business outside.
Yup yup.

Yes they do vary. I've never been big on terriers..the only dog that ever bit me as a child was my uncle's tiny little terrier, Cindy. Uncle worked making docks and developing roads and parking lots for the state. He was a strong, beautiful, smart man who had run radio line ahead of the front line in Korea. He always had a terrier. He brought one home from overseas. He refused to leave it behind, he said Koreans were terrible to dogs and that particular one had saved him many times.

Anyway, we'd go visit him at his house, and he would be in his recliner with his feet up, and Cindy in the crook of his arm, and she viciously attacked anybody who invaded his personal space lolol. Or pointed at her.

I love all dogs and find them fascinating. They always surprise me. Mylo has surprised me. She has such a big heart, and she's so darned brave, it's impossible not to admire her. It took her fully two years to recover from being rehomed...though I didn't realize it until after two years had passed, and I got to know her better. She's special but then, so are they all.

I couldn't agree more - everyone of my dogs has taught me something, and each has taken a piece of my heart with them when they've gone. There just incredible creatures :)

I've been feeding and treating her inside the crate, with the door open. She's very food oriented so I know that she has to have pleasant connotations to the crate if she gets food there. Also putting her in, then leaving the room...she always will bark but when she stops and is quiet I let her out. I swear I already see a difference. Tomorrow we're upping the stakes a little...three two hour stretches in the crate. It's kind of fast, but we are dealing with a couple of time issues....we're traveling for thanksgiving, plus I don't want to live in a room that smells worse than a kennel (because she pees on the carpet). We'll see how it goes.

I've been feeding and treating her inside the crate, with the door open. She's very food oriented so I know that she has to have pleasant connotations to the crate if she gets food there. Also putting her in, then leaving the room...she always will bark but when she stops and is quiet I let her out. I swear I already see a difference. Tomorrow we're upping the stakes a little...three two hour stretches in the crate. It's kind of fast, but we are dealing with a couple of time issues....we're traveling for thanksgiving, plus I don't want to live in a room that smells worse than a kennel (because she pees on the carpet). We'll see how it goes.

It sounds like you're doing it exactly the right way, increasing the duration. One thing I've heard that makes a good crate treat is frozen stuffed kongs - takes time to clean them out and they only get it in the crate :)

Another cute thing she does.....pulls the blankets off my queen bed and pees on them. Isn't that special....

Forum List

Back