COVID-19 statistics

AzogtheDefiler

The Pale Orc
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 4, 2018
Boston, MA
I saw on the news that if you have mind symptoms and you suspect you may have the virus but aren't really impacted (for example Marcus Smart of the Celtics said he could have played with it) you don't need to go get tested but quarantine yourself for 14 days. So if many are doing that in order to save tests and MD time for the truly needy then how are the reported statistics accurate? If Smart was not an NBA player he likely doesn't get tested and is fine and not one of the stats?

"I'm O.K. I feel fine," Smart said in his video announcement. "I don't feel any of the symptoms, but I can't stress enough practicing social distancing and really keeping yourself away from a large group of people.

There is one way you can help yourself; if you feel a need to cough because you feel something in your lungs but resist the urge to cough you are making a big mistake. The cough is an effort to remove a mucus buildup in your lungs. You should cough deeply. You will feel something in your lungs as you cough. This is a mucus buildup in your lungs that you should remove by taking deep, heavy coughs, you will feel the mucus in your lungs being expelled. Continue the deep coughing until you feel you have expelled the mucus. Repeat this whenever you have the urge to do so.

Just a suggestion

:)-

There is one way you can help yourself; if you feel a need to cough because you feel something in your lungs but resist the urge to cough you are making a big mistake. The cough is an effort to remove a mucus buildup in your lungs. You should cough deeply. You will feel something in your lungs as you cough. This is a mucus buildup in your lungs that you should remove by taking deep, heavy coughs, you will feel the mucus in your lungs being expelled. Continue the deep coughing until you feel you have expelled the mucus. Repeat this whenever you have the urge to do so.

Just a suggestion

:)-
Zero to do with the thread but thank you for the advice.

The statistics for Covid 19 are skewed. The reported "death rate" for Covid 19 is based upon the number of deaths divided by the number of "Confirmed" cases. By contrast, the reported "death rate" for the flu is calculated like this:

1585419427174.png

Why isn't this method being used for Covid 19?

The statistics for Covid 19 are skewed. The reported "death rate" for Covid 19 is based upon the number of deaths divided by the number of "Confirmed" cases. By contrast, the reported "death rate" for the flu is calculated like this:

View attachment 316405

Excellent link and question! It probably is being used.
But if you ask the MSM for an answer, you won’t get one.

View attachment 316405

My best estimate is the method you suggest would decrease the bad numbers across the board and that does not conform with the Panic and Cripple America Agenda. How far off am I?

View attachment 316405

My best estimate is the method you suggest would decrease the bad numbers across the board and that does not conform with the Panic and Cripple America Agenda. How far off am I?
Not off at all. :thup:

I believe what people are dying from is a case of ---

Pneumonia is an infection that inflames the air sacs in one or both lungs. The air sacs may fill with fluid or pus (purulent material), causing cough with phlegm or pus, fever, chills, and difficulty breathing. A variety of organisms, including bacteria, viruses and fungi, can cause pneumonia.

Last edited:

Pneumonia is an infection that inflames the air sacs in one or both lungs. The air sacs may fill with fluid or pus (purulent material), causing cough with phlegm or pus, fever, chills, and difficulty breathing. A variety of organisms, including bacteria, viruses and fungi, can cause pneumonia.
But the pneumonia emanates from the impact of the virus, be it flu or Wuhan.

View attachment 316405

because they don't have the data of years of flu seasons to provide the factors needed to extrapolate the COVID data to the entire US population.

But the pneumonia emanates from the impact of the virus, be it flu or Wuhan.

It also opens people up to secondary infections, or even worse, exacerbates prior health issues. it's why people with diabetes and heart issues are at most risk.

Stress on the body in one area increases stress throughout, and makes any other medical situation you already have worse.

View attachment 316405

because they don't have the data of years of flu seasons to provide the factors needed to extrapolate the COVID data to the entire US population.
Sure they do. It’s just not as comprehensive — yet. But it’s getting there. And the more it does the better the outlook.

View attachment 316405

Sure they do. It’s just not as comprehensive — yet. But it’s getting there. And the more it does the better the outlook.

Not the level of data they have for influenza, which even as it changes year to year is still basically the same virus.

For COVID-19 all you have is the current outbreak, and no one has done any sort of blind sampling for antibodies yet to just determine the viral penetration in the general population.

View attachment 316405

Not the level of data they have for influenza, which even as it changes year to year is still basically the same virus.

For COVID-19 all you have is the current outbreak, and no one has done any sort of blind sampling for antibodies yet to just determine the viral penetration in the general population.
I don’t think it’s that far behind.

View attachment 316405

Data manipulation like extrapolation needs large sets from various cycles to be usable. We've had a century of flu seasons in modern times that can be used to clarify the "fudge" factors any model would use to determine nationwide infection/serious case/fatality data using just hospitalization/fatality data.

Sure you can make a model and run in on the limited data we have for COVID-19, but the results would be crap. GIGO applies to attempts at analysis like this.

I do modelling for wastewater treatment, which is more complex than epidemic modelling, but less complex than climate modelling, and GIGO applies no matter what.

View attachment 316405

Data manipulation like extrapolation needs large sets from various cycles to be usable. We've had a century of flu seasons in modern times that can be used to clarify the "fudge" factors any model would use to determine nationwide infection/serious case/fatality data using just hospitalization/fatality data.

Sure you can make a model and run in on the limited data we have for COVID-19, but the results would be crap. GIGO applies to attempts at analysis like this.

I do modelling for wastewater treatment, which is more complex than epidemic modelling, but less complex than climate modelling, and GIGO applies no matter what.
We’re not talking about flu. This is something more akin to SARS and MERS so there is a larger sampling for comparison. Bottom line still is infection, illness, hospitalization and death.

View attachment 316405

We’re not talking about flu. This is something more akin to SARS and MERS so there is a larger sampling for comparison. Bottom line still is infection, illness, hospitalization and death.

I think this more like flu because it is far more easily transmitted than SARS or MERS were. SARS and MERS also had far less asymptomatic cases than we are seeing with COVID. Its probably a similar effect to the mitigating effect of a viable flue vaccine, that even if it doesn't prevent getting sick, is known to mitigate the severity of the flu in people who have it.

Forum List

Back