Court rules US schools can ban US flag shirts on cinco de mayo

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
There are so many problems with this I almost don't know where to begin.

First of all, the court is essentially saying your Constitutional rights are suspended if someone else could possibly react violently towards you for exercising them. It would seem to be the problem lies with the potentially threatening protester so they're the ones who should be restrained here, not the person lawfully exercising their rights.

The second issue I have is why this school is even having a Cinco de Mayo celebration. It's not Mexico's independence day and it's not even widely celebrated throughout the country. It's mostly concentrated in one region where the battle took place. It's a holiday that's been primarily adopted by white American liberals under some misguided notion that they're somehow promoting diversity. This isn't Mexico and just because someone has Mexican DNA doesn't mean they necessarily give a shit about this holiday. That they even assume they would is frankly racist, in my opinion. I'm half Italian and half German and I couldn't tell you what the hell they celebrate over there other than Oktoberfest. Under the guise of celebrating diversity, they are, in fact, promoting division, when they should be fostering unity. Even the Latino kids at this high school are Americans first and that's the message the school should be sending, that everyone there is American, whether their family has been here for 20 years or 200.

Court: School can ban US flag shirts for safety

Last edited:
In a social and historical vacuum, the school would be wrong.

But considering the history of ethnic conflict on this specific day, and the clearly provocative intent of the students wearing the flag shirts, it appears the school was actually looking out for the safety of their students.

I would however like to see this appealed to the Supremes.

Does public safety ever trump Freedom of Speech?

Just US flag shirts, or ALL flag shirts? That will tell you what agenda is being promoted.

But considering the history of ethnic conflict on this specific day, and the clearly provocative intent of the students wearing the flag shirts, it appears the school was actually looking out for the safety of their students.

Oh, I agree the shirts were meant to be provocative. The school just shouldn't have the event period. It's caused too much division when it's reached this level.

Oh, I agree the shirts were meant to be provocative. The school just shouldn't have the event period. It's caused too much division when it's reached this level.

Good point. If the t-shirts were provocative, then perhaps so was the Cinco de Mayor festivities.

That would be an excellent argument to make before the Supremes.

In a social and historical vacuum, the school would be wrong.

I would however like to see this appealed to the Supremes.

Does public safety ever trump Freedom of Speech?

Team sport logos can be provocative. Harley Davidson motorcycle logos can be provocative. Albert Einstein can be provocative if somebody makes a connection to the incineration of Japanese civilians with the Atomic Bomb. Surely the Flag that signifies the freedom of the Bill of Rights in the greatest Country in the world can't be provocative, can it? The poor kids are encouraged to tolerate monstrous concepts like confused boys being able to access girls bathrooms but the American Flag is deemed to controversial for kids to handle. The freaking world is upside down and inside out in the liberal mind.

You should have figured it out by now - that "diversity" in the liberal dictionary means..."the avoidance of any possibility of upsetting any minority group, while seeking to give advantage to same"

Libbies, so US flag shirts make hispanics violent? Yet the US flag is the problem?

Say if non hispanics get violent from all the cinco de mayo stuff? They will just have to behave, but not your special status group that you pander too?

Poor hIVpozLGBTped liberals.

I'm hoping some students with some balls go ahead and wear some American flag clothing. Let the school get the bad publicity for kicking them out.

My question for liberals is this. They argue that speech in cases like this can cause protected class to become violent as a result. So if opponents to gay rights started getting violent every time LGBTs spoke about gay rights, liberals would start outlawing gay rights speech? Or are you fucking hypocrites?

This is HORRIBLE
Schools banning patriotic students from showing the flag

In reality, the students wore their flag shirts just to provoke Mexican students and say....Fuck you and your holiday. Not exactly patriotic

The school banned the shirts not because they supported the Mexican holiday over the US Flag but because the shirts were causing fights between students

The school was seeking to defuse a potentially violent situation

This is HORRIBLE
Schools banning patriotic students from showing the flag

In reality, the students wore their flag shirts just to provoke Mexican students and say....Fuck you and your holiday. Not exactly patriotic

The school banned the shirts not because they supported the Mexican holiday over the US Flag but because the shirts were causing fights between students

The school was seeking to defuse a potentially violent situation
So if anti LGBT students started attacking LGBT students who wore LGBT rights shirts, you'd be fine with banning the LGBT shirts because the LGBTs were provoking?

I challenge libs after bullshit like this, PROVE your claim that diversity is our strength. Not just "a" strength but "our" strength.

Do it without just saying "diversity is our strength"

Forum List

Back