Could hurricane Sandy postpone the Presidential election?

Nope... rain, sleet ,snow, or all of the above, our election will happen.

What make you so sure about that? We'll have to wait a couple of days I think. It is more realistic than ever before.

Our election happens on the first Tuesday of November, period.

There is no Constitutional provision to postpone a Presidential election.

I know this is purely academic, but Congress could make the election on whatever day they decided to, for whatever reason. Article II.

The current date is so entrenched, I doubt anything 'would' make them change it... but it is not outside their powers to do so.

I see now that you are correct, but with one week before the election, the odds of a change now are a billion to one. Absent a bill passing both houses. the election MUST be held next Tuesday.

I live in The Netherlands and I think that the election might not take place next week because of Sandy. This disaster is too big. Will power be restored at all places for example before next week? What do you think?

What make you so sure about that? We'll have to wait a couple of days I think. It is more realistic than ever before.

Hey! if those soldiers can guard the tomb of the unknown through this then you lazy democrats can get off your fat asses and find a way to vote.

Hey! if those soldiers can guard the tomb of the unknown through this then you lazy democrats can get off your fat asses and find a way to vote.

You wanna explain how someone from the Netherlands is affiliated to a US Political Party? Just for the craic of it.

Jeeez, talk about an over reaction. The guy - regardless of political affiliation - asked a perfectly reasonable question, particularly given he's not an American and my fellow right wingers bounce on him like he's the devil himself.

I do wish the right wouldn't embarrass me by behaving like the left.

You wanna explain how someone from the Netherlands is affiliated to a US Political Party? Just for the craic of it.

Jeeez, talk about an over reaction. The guy - regardless of political affiliation - asked a perfectly reasonable question, particularly given he's not an American and my fellow right wingers bounce on him like he's the devil himself.

Tis a tense political season. Perhaps we should all stop posting before a few folks get riled up and go beat their wives or mothers, whichever they live with.

Thank you! Your English is better than mine so you can tell it better than I can. Yes I am from The Netherlands, the country of pot, gays, red light districts and a social health care system. I can't blame certain people about their behaviour, it is probably how they are raised by their parents.

Yesterday I couldn't find anything on the internet about this subject. Today many major US newspaper are explaining that it is unlikely that the elections will be postponed. So if what I asked and thought was stupid why are US newspapers writing about it?

Well, he got an answer. And, I'm sorry you got embarassed. But, that's life.

Thank you! Your English is better than mine so you can tell it better than I can. Yes I am from The Netherlands, the country of pot, gays, red light districts and a social health care system. I can't blame certain people about their behaviour, it is probably how they are raised by their parents.

Yesterday I couldn't find anything on the internet about this subject. Today many major US newspaper are explaining that it is unlikely that the elections will be postponed. So if what I asked and thought was stupid why are US newspapers writing about it?

If your dykes broke would you put off the election, or if your pot supply ran short?

The US newspapers are writing about it because the Constitution makes it possible for the Congress to postpone the election and a few lawyers raised the question.

If your dykes broke would you put off the election, or if your pot supply ran short?

In The Netherlands it is also never postponed. We were close in 2002 with the murder on Pim Fortuyn who was running to become the Prime Minister from the country.

If the dykes broke and Hans Brinkers is nowhere around than we got a huge problem here. Half the country is below sea level. We are a small country so we can postpone it easier than the US.

The US newspapers are writing about it because the Constitution makes it possible for the Congress to postpone the election and a few lawyers raised the question.

Intelligent laywers for raising that question ;)

Your English is better than many native Americans' that post here.

Forum List

Back