Corporate welfare in action ....

Apple to build Iowa data center, get $207.8 million in incentives

We've got to get a handle on this shit. Whatever happened to equal protection?
You could always just let the jobs move overseas...

Don't you think if that was possible they would have? English speakers are getting more and more difficult to find off-shore. Dell found that out and moved their business to business service back to the US. Of course, consumers are screwed.

This Apple data center is a $1.4 BILLION dollar deal, the property tax break is tax revenue that does not exist and would not exist without this deal hence nobody is getting short changed. Furthermore Apple has $260 BILLION in cash sitting off-shore, deals like this to bring that cash back into the US should be applauded.

Wouldn't the money be better spent on small business that will actually return to the community in taxes, employment, and sales tax that will be kept locally?

How is this going to repatriate the $250B since Apples' money laundering is far more lucrative?

Riiiiight a pixy dust fairy is going to create $1.4 billion in small businesses goddamn an eyeroll seems inadequate. :rolleyes:

No, but a good entrepreneur (like me) can?

Tell me, what is the first thing one needs to do before opening any business?

Don't you think if that was possible they would have? English speakers are getting more and more difficult to find off-shore. Dell found that out and moved their business to business service back to the US. Of course, consumers are screwed.

Most businesses want to be as close to their customers as possible to reduce shipping costs. If it's more of a financial advantage to move overseas, they will. If shipping costs outweigh the benefits of cheaper taxes and labor, they stay.

Preppy Progues

To those who look backstage at the drama, this is more proof that Social Justice Warlords are vindictive self-obsessed brats, who, like Bill Ayers, are acting out an adolescent hatred of their CEO fathers. They look at only how the hated upper management will benefit and not on how many jobs Apple will bring to Iowa. It's all about a struggle at the top; the rest of us don't count.

Our friend thinks it's unfair to the small guy because the big guy gets a break. I'm not sure I agree. I think an argument can be made that a company who will hire 50 people in a community might deserve to pay less in taxes than the company who employs 5. The bottom line, it's really up to the local community to make these decisions. Nobody held a gun to anyone's head and said you must take this deal.

The mom and pop shops are going to pay the same taxes whether the big guy gets a tax break or not. It's like the age old argument that we shouldn't throw away food because somebody in China is starving. If I don't throw any food away, how would that help anybody in China????

Mom and Pop stores are not hurt by Apple getting a tax abatement for moving there. If anything, it helps the mom and pop stores. The thing that hurts smaller outlets are the internet sales--not Apple or anybody else moving into their areas. So should we make it illegal to purchase anything off the internet?

This OP obviously doesn't know what a publically traded company is, and who owns it. Hint: Countless public and private employee pension plans own Apple, omg those evil Teachers unions are sucking up corporate welfare ALARM!! :laugh:

I get that. But it's irrelevant. The question is equal protection. Should everyone be allowed to "buy" tax abatements?
Sure. Everyone who brings a billion dollars into the economy should be afforded equal protection. If Microsoft did the same, I wouldn't complain that only Apple should get that incentive.

Most businesses want to be as close to their customers as possible to reduce shipping costs. If it's more of a financial advantage to move overseas, they will. If shipping costs outweigh the benefits of cheaper taxes and labor, they stay.

The proximity of a business is only necessary if the business has interaction with the customer. Barber, yes, customer support, no.

The ONLY advantage of off-shoring is employee pay.

Shipping costs are minimal, ask Amazon.

Apple is an awful company . Who happen to make billions off the American market while shipping jobs overseas (where they abuse workers ).

Let's reward them with tax abatements !!!

Our friend thinks it's unfair to the small guy because the big guy gets a break. I'm not sure I agree. I think an argument can be made that a company who will hire 50 people in a community might deserve to pay less in taxes than the company who employs 5. The bottom line, it's really up to the local community to make these decisions. Nobody held a gun to anyone's head and said you must take this deal.

The mom and pop shops are going to pay the same taxes whether the big guy gets a tax break or not. It's like the age old argument that we shouldn't throw away food because somebody in China is starving. If I don't throw any food away, how would that help anybody in China????

Mom and Pop stores are not hurt by Apple getting a tax abatement for moving there. If anything, it helps the mom and pop stores. The thing that hurts smaller outlets are the internet sales--not Apple or anybody else moving into their areas. So should we make it illegal to purchase anything off the internet?

Walmart did, and it also hurt the local economy.

You're wrong about not hurting the mom and pops. What is the average age of the workers? The younger they are, the less likely they will shop in stores but use online. Most taxi cab services are mom and pop. What has Uber and Lyft done to those businesses? Two words.....Radio Shack.

This is the same Apple whose CEO called Trump a racist. Our corporate overlords. Google is already deleting conservative accounts and manipulating web site.
Iowa isnt exactly Silly-conehead Calif.

that 200 million dollar investment will pay for itself in nothing flat and boost the local and state economy from now until the day Apple decides to go.

In that case it would have made a fine investment for private capital...right?

then private should have had the vision to offer it huh ?

In other words it was NOT an investment that "paid for itself in nothing flat". Otherwise greedy capitalists would have been all over it.
That's because

This is the same Apple whose CEO called Trump a racist. Our corporate overlords. Google is already deleting conservative accounts and manipulating web site.
Iowa isnt exactly Silly-conehead Calif.

that 200 million dollar investment will pay for itself in nothing flat and boost the local and state economy from now until the day Apple decides to go.

In that case it would have made a fine investment for private capital...right?

then private should have had the vision to offer it huh ?

In other words it was NOT an investment that "paid for itself in nothing flat". Otherwise greedy capitalists would have been all over it.
How Do You Like Them Apples?

Apple's CEO, Timmy Co*k, is a Gayist. His bathhouse cult is required to repeat the fairyphile Demwits' party line, even on issues that have nothing to do with its agenda

Walmart did, and it also hurt the local economy.

You're wrong about not hurting the mom and pops. What is the average age of the workers? The younger they are, the less likely they will shop in stores but use online. Most taxi cab services are mom and pop. What has Uber and Lyft done to those businesses? Two words.....Radio Shack.

No, you're wrong. Walmart helps the local economy.

A neighboring suburb built a brand new mall about seven years ago. Of course, Walmart was the highlight of the mall. But Walmart later wanted to have a Super Walmart in the area, but they were under contract with their store in the new mall.

Walmart found a way out of the contract, and today the new mall only has one store left. That's because all those smaller stores had a condition of agreement that their contract would be null and void if the "anchor store" moves from the mall. The Anchor Store (Walmart) was gone and those smaller stores couldn't' survive. They had to close up.

Walmart did build their Super Walmart about ten miles away in another suburb.

In any case, Walmart is very often the anchor store of a shopping area. Walmart draws people in, and those people shop at other smaller stores after they buy their goods from Walmart. But because they left the mall (called City View) we have a mall full of empty stores that were once occupied. It was a great place to shop too. Very convenient right off the highway.

I don't know about where you live, but we've never had a Mom and Pop cab service in the area. They were larger cab companies.

Apple is an awful company . Who happen to make billions off the American market while shipping jobs overseas (where they abuse workers ).

Let's reward them with tax abatements !!!

And you don't think Microsoft ships jobs overseas?

Last I priced it, an I-phone is around $700.00. If it were made in the US, the price would be closer to $1,500.

The proximity of a business is only necessary if the business has interaction with the customer. Barber, yes, customer support, no.

The ONLY advantage of off-shoring is employee pay.

Shipping costs are minimal, ask Amazon.

I'm not talking about shipping a single jump drive to a customers house, I'm talking about bulk shipping back to the US.

When imported goods come in, they don't drive a ship to your local Walmart store. Those ships have to be unloaded at various ports around the country. Once unloaded, the freight has to be inspected and counted by dock workers. Paperwork must be processed and recreated for shipment out of the shipping docks.

From there, those goods get loaded on trucks (or trains if they have tracks in their port) and hauled off to warehouses across the country. If by truck, the truck can go directly to the warehouse. If by train, a truck has to go the train station to pick up those container trailers and then haul them to the warehouses.

Once at the warehouses, the freight has to be inspected again, at times, by border agents, repackaged at times, and more paperwork needs to get processed. Once that is complete, local trucks pickup the freight and deliver it to store warehouses and the process repeats itself.

Finally, from the store warehouses, trucks have to deliver those goods to the stores themselves.

It's a very costly operation. And from my experience, there is also some freight damage that somebody has to pay for. Many times I have picked up damaged overseas freight and had to mark it on the bill of lading to protect our company from being accused of doing the damage. I still deliver the damaged goods, but our customers have to ship those goods back or throw the items away.

In a few cases (particularly with China) the cost of getting low quality or damaged goods, having to ship it back to China, was more costly than just having the parts manufactured or processed here in the US. Some of our customers just quit doing business with China.

Big government picking winners and losers.

Cities and states are not big government.

Yes it is. The government shouldn't be picking winners and losers. Not if you believe in the free market.
Calamity Carly

That's more hypocrisy than I can bear. You private-sector eliists have no problem with HeirDads pre-positioning their sons up halfway to the finish line. And now they even pick their daughters to be winners, which is the real reason they started feminism.

Forum List

Back