Cool! Hear what an original Sopwith Camel sounds like. (it ain't pretty)

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

The original engine is a 9 cylinder radial.

The throttle basically selected 3, 6, or all 9 cylinders. If you listen close you can tell the difference between the three settings while in flight.

See it rock from torque before take off?.....That's why it was hard to fly and so many crashed, it basically wanted to spin itself into the ground.

The throttle basically selected 3, 6, or all 9 cylinders. If you listen close you can tell the difference between the three settings while in flight.

See it rock from torque before take off?.....That's why it was hard to fly and so many crashed, it basically wanted to spin itself into the ground.

You got your main point wrong. The Camel didn’t have a radial engine, it had a ROTARY engine. The cylinders and prop rotated around the crankshaft. That’s why there was so much torque.

Sharp Right Turns​

One of the Camel’s most distinctive features was an amazingly fast right turn. This came from a combination of the plane’s forward weight and the torque of its powerful rotary engine. It was a feature unique to this fighter.

Pilots made great use of that right turn to gain an advantage over their opponents. On some occasions, they even used a 270° right turn instead of a slower 90° turn to the left.

• Informative
Reactions: cnm

Hear what an original Sopwith Camel sounds like.​

I know I've heard that sound before. OH YEAH! That is the exact sound Joe Biden makes holding his pants at the G20 Summit running to the bathroom!

Maybe they should have tried using two smaller engines, one on each wing. The thing is basically a homemade contraption--- hard to believe that we flew such planes at one time in air battles to decide the fate of the planet. But then, it is just as hard to believe we elected Joe Biden to decide the fate of our country.

I asked my wife what that sounded like,,
she said my farts,,

I am so proud right now,,

Not enough money on the planet to get me up in one of those.

Those planes are incredibly flyable once they lose engine power, it becomes a giant glider, Hermann Goering has some incredible footage of him flying them when he was young, he could make that do anything he wanted.

Forum List

Back