'Contractors' - The Workers The Federal Govt Forgot About / Left Behind

easyt65

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2015
The President & Congress declared workers will get paid time off to help slow / stop COVID-19...1st if required to quarantine...then came the direction to take the next 2 weeks off if 'non-essential' - 'work from home's.

The military and 'GS' employees can do that....

'CONTRACTORS', however, are private (sometimes small) business employees who are employed to do government jobs...

So, as certain military members and GS employees stay home / work from home and get paid to do so, CONTRACTORS are showing up to work....

...Many of them will NOT stay home, even if they do not feel well, because they don't have 10 workdays' worth of PAID TIME OFF to 'burn'...and their companies are not just going to 'GIVE' them time off.

So much for slowing down / stopping the spread of COVID-19...

Hope someone on Washington is made aware of this issue and something is done to correct it....

Thankfully there are no snowflakes worth a shit so to not pay them is good. Then you have the liberal contractors who save money for just such an event. Go cry little girl.

Contractors aren't the only ones taking a hit. Day Cares are beginning to close...and families simply 'have to make alternate plans'...

Waiters / waitresses / bar tenders / etc....

Forget TP and hand sanitizer....one of the biggest shortages may be money for mortgages / rent / etc... from Americans being forced out of work due to shutdowns / self/business/govt-imposed quarantines...

Thankfully there are no snowflakes worth a shit so to not pay them is good. Then you have the liberal contractors who save money for just such an event. Go cry little girl.

Short-sighted view....There are also a lot of retired vet contractors, not just 'liberal' contractors...

This has been an issue in every republican government shutdown. Nobody really cares. The whole point in using contractors is that they do not get expensive benefits.

This has been an issue in every republican government shutdown. Nobody really cares. The whole point in using contractors is that they do not get expensive benefits.

Not to facilitate you hijacking the thread to turn it into a partisan GOP-bashing event, but are you saying there has never been a 'Democrat' shutdown?

Did you so quickly forget Obama's 'shutdown', the one where a WH memo was leaked in which his administration was told to make the shutdown as painful as possible for citizens to create more anger against Republicans, who they were publicly blaming for their shutdown?

Barry's administration shut down 'open-air' monuments to deny public access ... The Obama administration even attempted to shut down a couple of historic sites NOT owned by the government.

But again, this thread was not intended to be POLITICAL but to draw attention to Americans seriously negatively impacted by what is going on due to the global pandemic...

Contractors aren't the only ones taking a hit. Day Cares are beginning to close...and families simply 'have to make alternate plans'...

Waiters / waitresses / bar tenders / etc....

Forget TP and hand sanitizer....one of the biggest shortages may be money for mortgages / rent / etc... from Americans being forced out of work due to shutdowns / self/business/govt-imposed quarantines...
It's only the beginning. Many have to make choices. Some may not be very good. My neighbor has a pool cleaning business with 4 small kids now home from school. They all went with him to work today.

Not to facilitate you hijacking the thread to turn it into a partisan GOP-bashing event, but are you saying there has never been a 'Democrat' shutdown?

Did you so quickly forget Obama's 'shutdown', the one where a WH memo was leaked in which his administration was told to make the shutdown as painful as possible for citizens to create more anger against Republicans, who they were publicly blaming for their shutdown?

Barry's administration shut down 'open-air' monuments to deny public access ... The Obama administration even attempted to shut down a couple of historic sites NOT owned by the government.

But again, this thread was not intended to be POLITICAL but to draw attention to Americans seriously negatively impacted by what is going on due to the global pandemic...
I'm just wondering at the sudden concern. Are you perchance a government contractor worried about your own wallet? if so just say so. I feel for anyone who is not going to get a paycheck because of this. I am a building contractor and no one cared about my income when it all blew up in 2008. No one did shit to bail me out. We all know the price of professional autonomy is that you are on your own.

Some went home today..........until further notice..........the job is not essential.......2 crews.......

Not our company..........but the Shutdowns are hereby cancelled...........go home til further notice........

We are in limbo..........They are talking about 2 weeks off or more for all contractors except essential contractors.......

So it begins...........like it did in the past.......Wash, Rinse, spin, dry..........and repeat.

I feel for anyone who is not going to get a paycheck because of this. I am a building contractor and no one cared about my income when it all blew up in 2008. No one did shit to bail me out. We all know the price of professional autonomy is that you are on your own.
Isn't Congress talking about helping small business / contractors? Heard something but do not know exactly what was said / has come of it....

I shoot at the indoor range every Wednesday. I was told it may be closed. I called twice to confirm. No answer. Shit.

I feel for anyone who is not going to get a paycheck because of this. I am a building contractor and no one cared about my income when it all blew up in 2008. No one did shit to bail me out. We all know the price of professional autonomy is that you are on your own.
Isn't Congress talking about helping small business / contractors? Heard something but do not know exactly what was said / has come of it....
I wouldn't expect much. Hopefully things will get back before too many people go under.

Forum List

Back