Conservative Justices Back Sex Offender's Rights Over Safety of Children

Procrustes Stretched

"intuition and imagination and intelligence"
Dec 1, 2008
"Extended Civil Commitment of Sex Offenders Is Upheld"

Justice Clarence Thomas, joined by Justice Antonin Scalia, dissented in the case, United States v. Comstock, No. 08-1224.

What would Jesus do?

:eusa_whistle:

---

but there is more...

The Constitutional interpretations here may end up being used in the arguments of most of the recent libs/cons cases before the Federal Judiciary.

the Constitution’s “necessary and proper” clause as granting Congress the power to pass the law, though the clause is not ordinarily thought of as a source of free-standing authority. The clause gives Congress the right “to make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution” its other powers

:eek:

:lol:

Last edited:

Justice Clarence Thomas, joined by Justice Antonin Scalia, dissented in the case, United States v. Comstock, No. 08-1224.

What would Jesus do?

---

but there is more...

The Constitutional interpretations here may end up being used in the arguments of most of the recent libs/cons cases before the Federal Judiciary.

the Constitution’s “necessary and proper” clause as granting Congress the power to pass the law, though the clause is not ordinarily thought of as a source of free-standing authority. The clause gives Congress the right “to make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution” its other powers

The Government does not have the right nor the power to extend sentences after the fact. You want them in prison for life? Sentence them to a life sentence. The Government can not come in after the fact and say " ohh well we find the sentence to short".

okay i have pondered this and it boils down to this....

if one is to be given an extendable sentence and all...why not just kill the kid.....*hears the gasps* but follow me...who is the main witnesses in cases like this..child molestations etc...well the child....if one is to be given life etc or a indeterminate term...what keeps the molestors from simply killing the child...

plus are we willing to admit..there is no real rehabit just punishment in prisons? i contend prisons are no more than training camps and a place to network.

What would Jesus do?

---

but there is more...

The Government does not have the right nor the power to extend sentences after the fact. You want them in prison for life? Sentence them to a life sentence. The Government can not come in after the fact and say " ohh well we find the sentence to short".

The repercussions of this case went over your head?

okay i have pondered this and it boils down to this....

if one is to be given an extendable sentence and all...why not just kill the kid.....*hears the gasps* but follow me...who is the main witnesses in cases like this..child molestations etc...well the child....if one is to be given life etc or a indeterminate term...what keeps the molestors from simply killing the child...

plus are we willing to admit..there is no real rehabit just punishment in prisons? i contend prisons are no more than training camps and a place to network.

that is besides the fact. prisons are for punishment and not rehab...at least as far as the public is concerned. what happens in prisons is a whole 'nother issue.

Forum List

Back