Computer Science

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Inside the golden dome of the State House on Beacon Hill, debate is taking place on whether to make at least one year of Computer Science a graduation requirement in MA.

There are pros and cons.

I say it couldn't hurt. In fact, it could give kids who may or may not go on to college an idea of how they might embark on a very lucrative career in the future.

Computer.science and personal finance. They should be mandatory from grade school and beyond.

Is "Computer Science" such a broad term that it is meaningless? Writing code? Competence using popular software/apps? Competence at researching information on the Internet?

Hopefully some computer-smart fukkers will create a basic curriculum that makes sense for the general public.

Inside the golden dome of the State House on Beacon Hill, debate is taking place on whether to make at least one year of Computer Science a graduation requirement in MA.

There are pros and cons.

I say it couldn't hurt. In fact, it could give kids who may or may not go on to college an idea of how they might embark on a very lucrative career in the future.
Yes but keep it simple. A couple of courses where they code in two different languages, like C++ and Python for example. Both of those languages are very prevalent in industry today.

Is "Computer Science" such a broad term that it is meaningless? Writing code? Competence using popular software/apps? Competence at researching information on the Internet?

Hopefully some computer-smart fukkers will create a basic curriculum that makes sense for the general public.
Taking beginners into mind, I hope it would include:
  • History / background / evolution of computers
  • Common applications and concepts such Microsoft Office, cloud computing and presentation tools
  • A digital citizenship including online safety, privacy, creating a digital footprint and threat / vulnerability attacks (e.g. phishing)
  • maybe boolean logic and concepts, especially if you're planning to get into development

Yes but keep it simple. A couple of courses where they code in two different languages, like C++ and Python for example. Both of those languages are very prevalent in industry today.
C++ has a large learning curve, especially with concepts like pointers, memory management and its syntax. Completely agree on Python, and I'd also include front-end languages like Javascript.

There are pros and cons.

Will they teach Boolean Algebra as a supplemental additive?

And something else might take their place next week.

There are pros and cons.

I worked for DeVry University for 10 years, back in the late 80's and 90's. I graduated from there with an Associate's Degree in the Electronics Technology field and was responsible for the component-lever repair of just about every piece of equipment on their Irving, TX. campus.

Their Computer Information Science Bachelor's Degree took three years to complete, but has been downgraded to two years and 8 months these days. Back then, everything was COBOL-based, but they had started teaching C and C++ programming languages.

You know that is a goofy thing to say, rght?

Not really, considering how you're directly-descended from those white slave-owners and secessionist Democrats who started a civil war, enacted Jim Crow Laws, and founded the Klan.

You chose to be a part of the same party, so that says everything right there, Cletus.

C++ has a large learning curve, especially with concepts like pointers, memory management and its syntax. Completely agree on Python, and I'd also include front-end languages like Javascript.
Just keep the programming assignments simple, I didn't mean the higher level concepts of C++. If the kids get confidence in getting simple programs to work, that may give them confidence to learn the harder stuff.

Forum List

Back