Company backs down, removes lesbian couple from ad

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
I'm surprised nobody brought this up but it's a few weeks old by now...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ikea removes lesbian couple from Russian edition of magazine

Ikea has been accused of cowardice after removing a British lesbian couple from the Russian edition of its monthly magazine.

The December issue of the magazine, which will be distributed in most countries in which Ikea operates, contains a long feature about the lives of Clara and Kirsty, a Dorset-based lesbian couple and their Ikea-filled interiors. "We're two mums bringing up our baby boy in Clara's loft," says Kirsty in the story. "We're not your average family in your average home, but if my nan can raise two sons in a tiny caravan, we can make it work in our little loft."

Russian Ikea shoppers, however, will be shielded from information about the lives of the two British lesbians, in case it is deemed to fall foul of the country's controversial new law banning "homosexual propaganda".

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Fallout. and more, here:
Ikea faces boycott after it removes lesbian couple from Russian magazine to comply with Putin laws

The Question: Should Ikea have acquiesced and complied with the Russian anti-gay law? Or should it have stood firm and taken a stand?

USMB requires me to take a position. I think that makes for a plot spoiler, but them's the rules, so here it is: I support Ikea's decision.

Discuss.

Last edited:
They are a Business. In order to operate in Russia they need the approval of the Russian Government. And they are expected to obey Russian law IN Russia. If the article is in violation of the law they have little choice but to remove it.

Now if they feel that is wrong the recourse must occur with the Russian Government. Either a court case or world wide public opinion strong enough to force a change. I seriously doubt this one company has the clout in Russia to force a change.

They are a Business. In order to operate in Russia they need the approval of the Russian Government. And they are expected to obey Russian law IN Russia. If the article is in violation of the law they have little choice but to remove it.

Now if they feel that is wrong the recourse must occur with the Russian Government. Either a court case or world wide public opinion strong enough to force a change. I seriously doubt this one company has the clout in Russia to force a change.

That's my take exactly.

On the other side some would argue Ikea has a responsibility to its base, the younger hipper adult, and can use its considerable market clout to make that happen.

Which is true, it can take a stand if it wants to, but as a private company whose business is selling furniture rather than selling a lifestyle, that choice remains the company's.

Then again, by making an issue (no pun intended) of it, Russia has drawn more attention to its byzantine law, so in a way a mini-statement has already been made.

Last edited:
It's Russia. No freedom, no rights. That's why rw's love the country and their tiger-shooting dictator.

What I wants know is, what ever happened to the 27 moms fighting the geico pig commercials. There's one playing now is I guess the hypocritical dupes all backed down.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

It's Russia. No freedom, no rights. That's why rw's love the country and their tiger-shooting dictator.

What I wants know is, what ever happened to the 27 moms fighting the geico pig commercials. There's one playing now is I guess the hypocritical dupes all backed down.

The same Russia that youlow life liberals want to model America after.

The same Russia that youlow life liberals want to model America after.

Nope...but nice try. :D

Forum List

Back