Coffee grounds.

Sadly, most goes to landfills with other food waste. :( Even those who sign up for food waste recycling programs are unable to follow the rules and those programs are soon discontinued.

We used to put used grounds into our Nightcrawler (fishing worms) bed. They ate them up.

The funny thing was when you put them on the hook they smelt of coffee.

The fish seemed to really like them as bait.
That'll keep them awake as well, no sleeping on the job there wormy. Wiggle around a little bit, there ya go.

We used to put used grounds into our Nightcrawler (fishing worms) bed. They ate them up.

The funny thing was when you put them on the hook they smelt of coffee.

The fish seemed to really like them as bait.

I used to keep red wigglers and they scarfed banana peels as well as coffee grounds. My garden LOVED the worm poop.

Coffee grounds will provide the pH to make your hydrangeas blue. Any plant that benefits from a lower pH, something you might be using Miracid for, can be fed coffee grounds instead.

I live alone, so I'm not producing much trash ... coffee grounds tend to sit on the bottom until they stink ... I keep a compost pile for yard debris and the coffee ground fit right in without attracting unwanted wildlife ... and without stinking up the whole house ...

My soil is fertile enough ... just has a large clay content ... the compost isn't so much feeding the plants but rather adding humus to the soil and making the soil more friable ... thus easier to work when dry ...

Coffee grounds will provide the pH to make your hydrangeas blue. Any plant that benefits from a lower pH, something you might be using Miracid for, can be fed coffee grounds instead.

I have used them for the Raspberries along with broken eggshells, banana peels and other organic waste the berries are many, large and more flavor full.

Most people plant them in a row a bad idea since the shoots comes up in the pathways, better to plant it in a 10' x 12' block of just 5 initial plants in X pattern then use metal stakes for the corner and one in the middle then use strong string to support the shoots and keep them standing up when loaded with berries the next years shoots mostly stays inside the block thus the best shoots can produce next year while cutting down the old shoots and weak new shoots to the ground.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back