Coca Cola controversy, or HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND?!?!?!??!

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
It seems like a lot of people here in the good ol' U.S.A. have a problem with people from other walks of life singing "America the Beautiful" on a commercial about a soda pop, in languages other than English................................

Every year, there's always one Super Bowl ad that generates a bit of next-day controversy. And this year's ad appears to be Coca-Cola's "It's Beautiful" ad.

The one-minute ad features children and adults from all walks of life, from across the country, singing "America the Beautiful" in multiple languages. Seems fairly straight-forward, right? Not like the infamous Bar Refaeli Go Daddy ad from last year that featured the Israeli supermodel making out with a nerd.

However, two aspects of the ad appear to have turned it into one of those cultural hot spots (or at least a lukewarm spot) that ignites a little social media outrage for awhile. Some objected to the idea of hearing "America the Beautiful" sung in languages that were not English. Others objected to the inclusion of two gay dads in the ad.

The multilingual aspect of the ad drew fire from former Republican Congressman Allen West, who wrote a blog post saying, "If we cannot be proud enough as a country to sing "American the Beautiful" in English in a commercial during the Super Bowl, by a company as American as they come -- doggone we are on the road to perdition."

Conservative columnist and Fox News Radio host Todd Starnes tweeted his dislike of the ad, writing, "So was Coca-Cola saying America is beautiful because new immigrants don't learn to speak English?"

For awhile, the hashtag #BoycottCoke trended on Twitter, with some calling for a boycott of the soft drink for daring to desecrate the national anthem by using foreign languages. (It should be pointed out for anyone confused on the matter, that America's actual national anthem is "The Star-Spangled Banner.")

Coca-Cola Super Bowl ad stirs controversy - latimes.com

I also find it interesting that some of us good patriots would be pissed at Coca Cola for desecrating the National Anthem, not even realizing that it's not "America the Beautiful" that is our National Anthem, but rather "The Star Spangled Banner".

Me personally? I thought the ad was very well done, and even showed a bit of the "real" America, because this is a nation of immigrants.

And..................for anyone who may have watched The Daily Show this evening, Jon did a really good segment showing people singing America the Beautiful in their native language, and following it up with headlines and artifacts of how those people were viewed when they first got to this country.

I mean.....................don't people like Bill O'reilly (who is Irish) realize how badly their ancestors were treated in the late 1800 when THEY first came here? How about how the Italians were treated? Or any other ethnic group that has been discriminated against?

For anyone who hasn't seen the commercial, here it is............................

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=443Vy3I0gJs]Official Coca-Cola "Big Game" Commercial 2014 - America Is Beautiful - YouTube[/ame]

And people..............if you're going to bitch about the desecration of the National Anthem, please look up and find out what song it actually is.

Making bigoted comments about something you're ignorant about really doesn't give anyone a good look.

However....................it appears that rationality might win out, there are people who think this was a great commercial and are calling those who are bitching about it the bigots that they are.

Shoot.................you should have seen how FAUX Nooze was all over this story and were calling for the heads of Coca Cola and their advertising agency.

Coca Cola sells products all over the planet. Idiot Amurikins who don't understand how the global economy works can go fuck themselves.

Coca Cola sells products all over the planet. Idiot Amurikins who don't understand how the global economy works can go fuck themselves.

Idiot Amurikins who don't realize that this is a country made up of immigrants, and don't know that the National Anthem is actually The Star Spangled Banner can go screw themselves as well.

Like I said, on Jon Stewart tonight, his little segment on this was pretty much spot on, because it showed where any new group of immigrants that came to this country were discriminated against.

Today, just about any conservative will tell you that they like Jews and think we should support Israel.

Back in the 1950's and 60's, the view was much different.

Not to mention that Irish people were considered to be drunken bums who were corrupt cops when they first got here.

And........................ever notice that the people bitching about this particular issue are mostly WHITE?

I consider myself pretty moderate, and I didn't like the commercial.

Probably because earlier that day, I spent fifteen minutes futilely trying to help a pair of customers at job #2 who didn't speak a word of English between them. I find it kind of annoying we aren't a lot more stringent on requiring immigrants to learn English when they come here.

And picking a patriotic song is just kind of a thumb in the eye.

And, no, I'm not anti-immigrant. How could I be, my late father was an immigrant.

We are doing ourselves or the immigrants no favors creating a permanent non-English speaking underclass.

Okay...now...see the word "Search" with the little white arrow beside it at the top of the page?
yeah that one...in the top red bar
Click it...type Coca Cola....whallaaa....3 threads on this already.

Forum List

Back