Coasting to save gas numbers.

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
Just calculated my mileage by coasting (wherever feasible). My Grand Marquis is rated up to 17/25 mpg. My last tank of gas got 19.6 mpg in city only driving. I routinely get 28 mpg on the highway (summer driving). So, I'm getting roughly 3 mpg over the engine's rating in both city and highway driving. Every bit helps especially now.

Just calculated my mileage by coasting (wherever feasible). My Grand Marquis is rated up to 17/25 mpg. My last tank of gas got 19.6 mpg in city only driving. I routinely get 28 mpg on the highway (summer driving). So, I'm getting roughly 3 mpg over the engine's rating in both city and highway driving. Every bit helps especially now.
What bugs me is that people pull away from the stop lights way too slowly now.

Yeah right, coast your way into city streets and rely on taxi cabs to nudge your crate along, good plan. I think "coasting" on the highway is illegal and especially dangerous on downhill slopes. To paraphrase a popular government jingle "put it in gear so you can steer".

Actually,
A gasoline aerator before the fuel gets to the fuel injectors will extend the MPG but it requires constant tinkering.
Then there's the solar panel that provides an electric charge which will separate hydrogen and oxygen from ordinary water...and then infused with the gasoline for yet another few mpg....
Then there's various hydrogen and hybrid conversations that are fairly efficient which still consume petroleum products.

Yeah right, coast your way into city streets and rely on taxi cabs to nudge your crate along, good plan. I think "coasting" on the highway is illegal and especially dangerous on downhill slopes. To paraphrase a popular government jingle "put it in gear so you can steer".
You don't take the car out of gear, you just take your foot off the accelerator and...coast. Nothing dangerous or illegal.

You don't take the car out of gear, you just take your foot off the accelerator and...coast. Nothing dangerous or illegal.
My Grandad died in the 80's, but as a kid in the 70's, I always remember him knocking the engine off on every hill. There were fewer cars back then, he probably saved a fortune.

My vehicles are manual, I always go into neutral on steep hills so the revs drop from the low 2000's to about 800. Done that for a few years now.

Forum List

Back