Classic science fiction books

Damaged Eagle

Behind blue eyes
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 28, 2015
I have hours, only lonely
1626498471738.png

Yep! This is the place to post those classic sci-fi books you've enjoyed over the years.

*****SMILE*****

:)

I recently re-read "When World's Collide" that I last read 50 years ago. Written in 1933, it predicts both nuclear power and nuclear weapons.

The book envisions the last months of Earth as two rouge planets approach Earth so closely as to cause total destruction and the effort to build a nuclear space ship that can fly a small group of refugees to one of the new planets which is believed to be habitable.

However, many of its passages openly praises when the fictional "President" in the novel (clearly a Roosevelt figure) nationalizes all of the industries in a national emergency and orders the execution of workers who are deemed to be "lazy or selfish". The book openly espouses what today would be considered Fascism, while it speaks disdainfully about Mussolini and the Fascist rise in Germany (Hitler came to power in the year it was published).

Written as it was, in the height of The Great Depression, it talks about all the unemployed in America being rounded up and sent to work camps to grow food and build housing for the rest of Americans as something good and praiseworthy.

Forum List

Back