Classic rock goodies

later versions of this great band did a lot to ruin their rich history but the original version, with Jorma kaukonen on Lead, Marty Balin, Paul Kantner, Jorma (lead vocals here) and Grace Slick all taking turns at lead vocals, was one of the greatest late 60s bands ever. One of my favorites

while Ian Gillan was certainly the best vocalist DP ever had, I loved their first big US hit the most-with Rod Evans on lead vocals

And Highway Star is another really good one. :smile:

IMHO deep purple's best tunes are

Hush
My Woman from Tokyo
the Mule (the vocals, while short are great-Ian Paice goes to town on the drums)
and the incredible vocal range of IG on Child in Time

I cannot think of an American band (other than perhaps some "super groups) that had as much talent as these guys

Duane Allman is constantly rated as one of the 5 greatest rock guitarists in history and his brother has perhaps the best southern blues voice in history. then you throw in Dickie Betts who is better than 98% of the other guitarists around and its an amazing collection of talent.

This of course if my favorite since its the piece that sort of set the bar for bottleneck guitar work

another great early ABB tune. other great covers of Bonnie Dobson's song (ripped off by tim rose) include the most famous-the Grateful Dead's (superb) and the very good Nazareth version. But this is the best I believe and while this Pre ABB group was called the 31st of February. it was duane on lead and Gregg singing with Butch trucks who was with the ABB on as well

I cannot think of an American band (other than perhaps some "super groups) that had as much talent as these guys

Duane Allman is constantly rated as one of the 5 greatest rock guitarists in history and his brother has perhaps the best southern blues voice in history. then you throw in Dickie Betts who is better than 98% of the other guitarists around and its an amazing collection of talent.

This of course if my favorite since its the piece that sort of set the bar for bottleneck guitar work

That is a really great song, TD! :smile: It sounds so good. I think you're right, they were really great, one of the best!

Since I'm a REAL OLD guy, I listen to FIRST GENERATION Rock, you know from the late 40's BEGINNING to the mid 60's! I have REAL OLDIES playing all the time when I'm on the computer, and brings back tons of memories, try this link to it at

WRIT-HD2 - Real Oldies 95.7 FM Milwaukee WI - Listen Online

Rarely hear the pre 54 songs but lots of good stuff!

Now if you're really into the First Generation R&R, and R&B, try

Listen to WRHU WRHU Radio Hofstra University 88.7 fm Hofstra University New York

every Sunday between 3-6 PM Eastern. These guys are just a few years older than I am, but play the first hour of what they call the Juke Box music, half of the songs, I never heard, and the remaining 2 hours of a COLLECTORS EDITION, where 90% of the 50's music, I never heard, Doo Wops, funny songs, everything is basically NEW to me....try it!

Forum List

Back