Civics Quiz

I'm not jumping around.
OK, which questions on the quiz were based on economic theories that are in dispute?

You are though. I didn't bring up economics, or the quiz. You brought up that economics was a science, and I merely qualified your remark.

Meanwhile:
If taxes equal government spending, then: tax per person equals government spending per person

I disagree that this is how it breaks down. Taxes are rarely collected equally, and spending is rarely distributed equally. Taxes could still equal spending without either of those two being equal. Politics (public policy) does come into play in national economic policy.

Dunce.
That isn't what the question asks. Tax per person is an average. It doesn't matter whether one person pays the entire tax bill or everyone pays equally.
Similarly gov't spending per person is an average. It doesn't matter if the gov't blows it's entire budget on one person or distributes it equally.

33) If taxes equal government spending, then:
A. government debt is zero
B. printing money no longer causes inflation
C. government is not helping anybody
D. tax per person equals government spending per person
E. tax loopholes and special-interest spending are absent

It says nothing about average. It says "tax per person equals government spending per person"

Even the Rabbi knows that is never true

Some of the questions were definitely ideologically loaded but if they represent the prevailing view in US society then they must be valid.

28/33

I missed a few sitters. :eek: :lol:

How could do this?

33) If taxes equal government spending, then: Government debt is zero! They thought that tax per person equals government spending per person was the right answer: And that has no basis in arithmetic or logic.

"Crow, James Crow: Shaken, Not Stirred!"
(You Just Can't Miss, With Italian Swiss: Or Muscatel, or Ripple, or Dos Equis, or Heiniken's, or even a double Stolichnaya: And even as a chaser, to all of the above!)

I'm not jumping around.
OK, which questions on the quiz were based on economic theories that are in dispute?

You are though. I didn't bring up economics, or the quiz. You brought up that economics was a science, and I merely qualified your remark.

Meanwhile:
If taxes equal government spending, then: tax per person equals government spending per person

I disagree that this is how it breaks down. Taxes are rarely collected equally, and spending is rarely distributed equally. Taxes could still equal spending without either of those two being equal. Politics (public policy) does come into play in national economic policy.

Dunce.
That isn't what the question asks. Tax per person is an average. It doesn't matter whether one person pays the entire tax bill or everyone pays equally.
Similarly gov't spending per person is an average. It doesn't matter if the gov't blows it's entire budget on one person or distributes it equally.

Dunce? :eusa_eh:
I've been quite respectful to you on this thread, regardless of your arrogant and asinine insistence on changing the parameters of what you wish to discuss.

Sputnik was the name given to the first: A. telecommunications system B. animal to travel to space C. hydrogen bomb D. manmade satellite
Has what to do with civics?

26) Business profit is: A. cost minus revenue B. assets minus liabilities C. revenue minus expenses D. selling price of a stock minus its purchase price E. earnings minus assets

Same question...

27) Free markets typically secure more economic prosperity than government’s centralized planning because: A. the price system utilizes more local knowledge of means and ends B. markets rely upon coercion, whereas government relies upon voluntary compliance with the law C. more tax revenue can be generated from free enterprise D. property rights and contracts are best enforced by the market system E. government planners are too cautious in spending taxpayers’ money
:eusa_eh:

None of the above...

29) A flood-control levee (or National Defense) is considered a public good because: A. citizens value it as much as bread and medicine B. a resident can benefit from it without directly paying for it C. government construction contracts increase employment D. insurance companies cannot afford to replace all houses after a flood E. government pays for its construction, not citizens

30) Which of the following fiscal policy combinations would a government most likely follow to stimulate economic activity when the economy is in a severe recession? A. increasing both taxes and spending B. increasing taxes and decreasing spending C. decreasing taxes and increasing spending D. decreasing both taxes and spending

Depends which economic school of thought they adhere to...

Being an Austrian, I answered correctly:

decreasing both taxes and spending

Being morons, they wanted

Question #30 - C. decreasing taxes and increasing spending

(Read: Increased deficit spending or a decrease in the federal surplus)

31) International trade and specialization most often lead to which of the following? A. an increase in a nation’s productivity B. a decrease in a nation’s economic growth in the long term C. an increase in a nation’s import tariffs D. a decrease in a nation’s standard of living
Depends.. ask India pre-Ghandi...

How could do this?

33) If taxes equal government spending, then: Government debt is zero! They thought that tax per person equals government spending per person was the right answer: And that has no basis in arithmetic or logic.

Taxes = money taken from poulace

Taxes= government expenditure.

Total Taxes/population = x

If public expenditure = taxes, then

(taxes/population) = (public expenditure/population)

We're dealing with averages, not the mean, mode, or taxation of any given individual.

And no, it doesn't mean public debt=0, as their could already be a deb in place before taxation and expenditure become zero.

☭proletarian☭;2194119 said:
How could do this?

Taxes = money taken from poulace

Taxes= government expenditure.

Total Taxes/population = x

If public expenditure = taxes, then

(taxes/population) = (public expenditure/population)

We're dealing with averages, not the mean, mode, or taxation of any given individual.

And no, it doesn't mean public debt=0, as their could already be a deb in place before taxation and expenditure become zero.

Thanks.
People who still dont understand the question ans answer shouldn't vote.

i got 30 out of 33 and i thought that it leaned to the right on some of the economics questions.

It definitely leaned to the right in economics and in just history in general. Such as with the FDR Supreme Court question.

I got 32 out of 33.

i got 30 out of 33 and i thought that it leaned to the right on some of the economics questions.

It definitely leaned to the right in economics and in just history in general. Such as with the FDR Supreme Court question.

I got 32 out of 33.

But FDR did threaten to "pack the court" by adding justices. That's not leaning right or left, that's just what happened.

But FDR did threaten to "pack the court" by adding justices. That's not leaning right or left, that's just what happened.

I see no questions about Reagan, or Nixon, or any Republican put in a negative light for a matter.

And this is why:

Intercollegiate Studies Institute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Intercollegiate Studies Institute, Inc., or (ISI), is a non-profit educational organization founded in 1953 as the Intercollegiate Society of Individualists. Its members, over 50,000 college students and faculty across the United States, take advantage of programs designed to supplement a collegiate education and to provide access to resources that will help one achieve an education based primarily on the works of influential men and women in the European and Christian traditions. The group is known for having distinctly American Conservative views.[1]

Although ISI does not have any official partisan or religious affiliation, the Institute tends towards paleoconservative and traditionalist conservative positions.

Current ISI president and former Reagan administration official T. Kenneth Cribb has led the institute since 1989, and is credited with expanding ISI's revenue from one million dollars that year to $ 13,636,005 in 2005.[4]

"By the time the Reagan Revolution marched into Washington, I had the troops I needed—thanks in no small measure to the work with American youth ISI had been doing since 1953. I am proud to count many ISI products among the workhorses of my two terms as President."

—Ronald Reagan

Last edited:

I got 32 out of 33.

the FDR question was correct. FDR did threaten to pack the court. but the court didn't give in, they did find a portion of the new deal legislation unconstitutional.

I got 32 out of 33.

He did, and it is, but I think the thesis of "leaning right" is based on the choices made as to what questions were included.

Not for nothing, wouldn't you agree that a civics quiz should mostly deal with the rights and responsibility of, um, citizenship?

the FDR question was correct. FDR did threaten to pack the court. but the court didn't give in, they did find a portion of the new deal legislation unconstitutional.

Exactly. Like I said, the quiz was made up by a bunch of Reagan loving Conservatives, it's no surprise how the quiz was based.

You're right: it's not fair!

I'm merely pointing out that this is as much of a civics quiz as my chances are of being the next Pope.

This is Reaganomics, plain and simple.

Well, then, maybe you can fnd us a nice Howard Zinn-authored quiz for balance.

See the problem is that ignorant whiners like Dogturd think that economics is merely a matter of opinion. One guy's view is just as good as another's. There are no right and wrong answers.
In fact that is completely incorrect. The questions on the quiz were fair. There was no bias, only truth and falsehood.
But the Left has to pretend that it cannot be, because to do so is to admit that their beliefs are erroneous.
The question on FDR was valid because it was the most recent time, that the executive branch has threatened the integrity of the judicial branch (another time might be Jackson and the Indian question). I presume they picked FDR over Jackson because it was more recent, so more people might know it.

The Rabbi deliberately mischaracterizes Dogbert's comments. The questions are slanted to a conservative view of economics. Anyone who has studied the field recognizes that without any problem. The Rabbi undoubtedly knows it as well, which means that he is trying to deliberately deceive again because he cannot carry a disagreement on its merits. Either that, or he is either mentally feeble or ignorant.

Forum List

Back