"Chink in the armor"

Is it racist?

• racsit

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • not racist

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • What butthurt corn hole thought that was racist and made it headline news?!

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Nice to know that some people didn't even notice it.

Votes: 5 13.2%

• Total voters
Look I know the statement "chink in the armor" is not a racist term however calling an Asian person a chink is, it was in poor taste to headline that statement in an article about an Asian player, period. Thats like writing a story about a Mexican boxer and the headline says his back is wet, come on people, common sense.

-This guy was a writer when Yao Ming was playing-find me ONE article of him that's racist against Ming. If it was racist-then I'm sure that would be no problem right?

-The anchor who was suspended is married to an asian woman-do you think when he used the term "chink in the armor he was being racist"?

-Prove that the only reason why the headline about the KICKS (not Lin) was used just because Lin's asian.

You are not only stupid, not only an apologist (I wonder why?), but you are painfully illogical. You are probably incapable of even recognizing why the statements above are utterly illogical.

What about my statements are illogical? Address specific details.

I knew you were too fucking stupid to even see it.

-The fact that someone did not write a racist headline about another player - any other player - some time in the past - any time in the past - does not logically 'prove' in any way that he did not do so in the current case or may not do so in the future. OF COURSE.

-The fact that the person in question may be married to "an Asian woman" in no way 'proves' that he did not, cannot, or will not write something racist about Lin or any other player. OF COURSE.

You shouldn't need this explained to you, stupid.

You are not only stupid, not only an apologist (I wonder why?), but you are painfully illogical. You are probably incapable of even recognizing why the statements above are utterly illogical.

-The fact that someone did not write a racist headline about another player - any other player - some time in the past - any time in the past - does not logically 'prove' in any way that he did not do so in the current case or may not do so in the future. OF COURSE.

-The fact that the person in question may be married to "an Asian woman" in no way 'proves' that he did not, cannot, or will not write something racist about Lin or any other player. OF COURSE.

-While the lack of a racist article in the past doesn't necessarily prove that this article wasn't racist-it does add to some credibility. The fact that "chink in the armor" is also used in articles about other athletes adds a little more credibility.

-What proof do you have that this was racially motivated? You have a common expression that does contain a racial slur (out of context). Unless you're able to prove the motive of the writer, than quite frankly you're assuming (just what you accuse me of doing).

-The writer is NOT the person married to "an asian woman". The news anchor who was suspended (not the writer who was fired was). I made that very clear in my post. Go back and read again. If you can't distinguish between a "writer" and an "anchor"-I can't help you.

edit: As I said I'm no apologist. I just think there are bigger fish to fry when it comes to racism.

-While the lack of a racist article in the past doesn't necessarily prove that this article wasn't racist-it does add to some credibility. The fact that "chink in the armor" is also used in articles about other athletes adds a little more credibility.

No, it does not. The two are unrelated.

-The writer is NOT the person married to "an asian woman". The news anchor who was suspended (not the writer who was fired was).

Are you trying to miss the point? Being married to "an Asian woman" in no way precludes or absolves using a racial slur (however 'playfully' intended) in regards to a Chinese-American player.

-The writer is NOT the person married to "an asian woman". The news anchor who was suspended (not the writer who was fired was).

Are you trying to miss the point? Being married to "an Asian woman" in no way precludes or absolves using a racial slur (however 'playfully' intended) in regards to a Chinese-American player.

-I mentioned that because I said that the anchor for ESPN was married to an asian woman-not the writer. In your response to our conversation about the writer, and not the anchor you referenced my point about the marriage. I'm just saying there's two different people and two different incidents. Just clarifying so they're not blended together.

-The fact that you have to group (and more importantly view) individuals into groups is sad. Jeremy Lin's an American. And for the record-his family is from Taiwan (just to be more accurate than simply calling him a "Chinese-American".

Many people from Taiwan don't consider themselves to be "Chinese" and come from several ethnic backgrounds with totally different cultures. The fact that you fail to acknowledge that does kind of puzzle me (but I will admit I'm unsure about Lin specifically).

Many people from Taiwan don't consider themselves to be "Chinese"

Yes they do, you ignorant shit. Only a small percentage of a small minority of indigenous peoples parse it out further. Study some history and stop trying to be disingenuous.

Yes they do, you ignorant shit. Only a small percentage of a small minority of indigenous peoples parse it out further. Study some history and stop trying to be disingenuous.

Do you even know anybody from Taiwan? Serious question. Oh and I never said a "majority" I said "many"-big difference.

As I said earlier "Chinese" is a VERY broad stroke with a brush. China's a very large country, and has several different cultures within it (and dialects). You know Mandarin, Hookien, etc. It's not as simple as grouping everybody as "Chinese"-doing that is ironically racist.

And as a side note-Taiwan isn't a part of China, it's the Republic of China.

Do you even know anybody from Taiwan? Serious question. Oh and I never said a "majority" I said "many"-big difference.

As I said earlier "Chinese" is a VERY broad stroke with a brush. China's a very large country, and has several different cultures within it (and dialects). You know Mandarin, Hookien, etc. It's not as simple as grouping everybody as "Chinese"-doing that is ironically racist.

Saying someone is "American" is also a VERY broad stroke of a brush, there is a continent called America, which includes Canada and south and central America

Saying someone is "American" is also a VERY broad stroke of a brush, there is a continent called America, which includes Canada and south and central America

Nobody in Canada considers themselves to be "American".

Two black NBA players (there are some of those, right?) both score triple-doubles in the same game, and the headline in the next day's paper - in big, bold lettering - is 'Monkey See, Monkey Do.' How long does the idiot responsible keep his job?

Whether intentional or not, ESPN

In these early stages, we can't tell you if ESPN copy editors using "chink in the armor" as a way to describe Asian-American Jeremy Lin and his New York Knicks losing their first game in 13 days on Friday night is on par with what Jason Whitlock pulled off a week before. Whitlock obviously, and admittedly, made an awful (and worse, to me, unfunny) joke at Lin's heritage's expense.

That's it. Headline news for using an old saying is racist b/c he's Japanese.

What's even more disturbing is that 11 people here view it as a racist comment. Damn stupid people. They do more damage to America than Al Qudea could ever dream of.

Whether intentional or not, ESPN

In these early stages, we can't tell you if ESPN copy editors using "chink in the armor" as a way to describe Asian-American Jeremy Lin and his New York Knicks losing their first game in 13 days on Friday night is on par with what Jason Whitlock pulled off a week before. Whitlock obviously, and admittedly, made an awful (and worse, to me, unfunny) joke at Lin's heritage's expense.

That's it. Headline news for using an old saying is racist b/c he's Japanese.

Did you really think Jeremy LIN was Japanese?

Forum List

Back