Chicken seasoning

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Do you have a seasoning or marinade that you put your chicken in before frying? One that doesn't have salt or wouldn't miss salt would be perfect. Buttermilk doesn't really do a whole lot. I have tried a knock off of Kentucky Fried Chicken but I am not a huge fan of KFC. I hope to season it or marinate it overnight.

I put Old Bay on all my chicken. It does have celery salt in it, however. It and cayenne pepper are the two main ingredients, so I suppose you could mix cayenne with celery seed to get an approximation of the Old Bay taste. Note: OB also contains black pepper and paprika.

1598797348311.png

The orange and/or lemon chicken recipes under allrecipes aren't to bad.

*****SMILE*****

:)

There used to be a recipe for using Corn Flakes for frying chicken-

When I was a kid my mother and grandmother used a milk and flour batter to dip the chicken in- and "pan" fried it- same with beat to death round steak to make "chicken" fried steak- DAMN, I miss the gravy the left over grease made-:(

When I was a kid my mother and grandmother used a milk and flour batter to dip the chicken in- and "pan" fried it- same with beat to death round steak to make "chicken" fried steak- DAMN, I miss the gravy the left over grease made-:(
C

That's what I am using for the batter. There is such a thing as Corn Flake Crumbs and I mix half of that with half flour. I mix seasonings in that. My ex mother in law taught me that. I do the same with pork chops, too.

I just wanted to try to season the chicken before hand because it can be bland.

This time of year when I have oodles of fresh herbs I marinade with basil or sage or rosemary or thyme with wine or beer.

This time of year when I have oodles of fresh herbs I marinade with basil or sage or rosemary or thyme with wine or beer.
Yep. That is the only way to fly, right there. Fry with fressness. When do I get to have supper at your house?

C

That's what I am using for the batter. There is such a thing as Corn Flake Crumbs and I mix half of that with half flour. I mix seasonings in that. My ex mother in law taught me that. I do the same with pork chops, too.

I know you dont want salt but brining is the best method for bringing out flavors and keeping the chicken moist.
You wont taste the salt unless you brine them to long,and you can add all kinds of seasoning to the brine. Garlic,lemons,onions,brown sugar pretty much anything.
And the salt helps those seasonings penetrate.

C

I know you dont want salt but brining is the best method for bringing out flavors and keeping the chicken moist.
You wont taste the salt unless you brine them to long,and you can add all kinds of seasoning to the brine. Garlic,lemons,onions,brown sugar pretty much anything.
And the salt helps those seasonings penetrate.
Buttermilk works good too .

The corn flake recipe is okay if you make sure the chicken gets tender before the crust gets too browned. It's also good for crunchy oven-baked chicken. Either way you can use almost any kind of crumbs-- corn flakes, crackers, panko, traditional bread crumbs, rice krispies. It's good for breast strips that cook quickly.

The basic recipe is the same for steak or pork chops....flour then eggs, then crumb mixture ....brown both sides , lower heat cover for 15 - 20 minutes, uncover and turn heat back up, turning until brown . Or brown both sides and finish in oven...that works really good for pork chops.

6 chicken thighs. (breast if you like dry tasteless hockey pucks)

Big fry pan. Little OVO, sprinkle a little Old Bay on chicken and start sautee.

Add onion, garlic, squash, toms, green beans, green pepper,,,,even sliced okra,,,,, bout any veg you like from your garden.

Keep the heat on, keep adding Old Bay every time you stir. It gets spicier and hotter as you go, taste it.

So simple, so good.

Seems Old Bay is a "go to" for such as a southern boil, mudbugs etc. Works with anything if you try it and if you do it will be part of your staple.

Do you have a seasoning or marinade that you put your chicken in before frying? One that doesn't have salt or wouldn't miss salt would be perfect. Buttermilk doesn't really do a whole lot. I have tried a knock off of Kentucky Fried Chicken but I am not a huge fan of KFC. I hope to season it or marinate it overnight.
Tandoori chicken is pretty awesome.
You soak the chicken overnight in plain yogurt, then liberally apply Tandori spice.. bake as normal.
You can make your own Tandoori blend, or buy prepared. making your own will give you control of salt

Forum List

Back