Check out this mini hatchet...

Could be a good throwing hachet.

At that price, and considering it also comes with a saw, it's doubtful it's properly balanced for throwing...

It doesn't cost money to balance a hatchet properly if that is the intent. All it takes is the desire to do it right. You only have to design it right ONE TIME then it is only a matter of copying.

Well, having worked at a manufacturer level, I can assure you that a manufacturer isn't going to invest the time and expense to do something if it's not going to pay dividends. At $13 a pop, these probably aren't going to do that...

I've been CEO of two corporations, one of which was in the design and product engineering end of the field. If someone wants to produce a hatchet with built in saw that also throws well for $13, it may occur:
  • purely by accidental happenstance.
  • by simply copying an existing well designed hatchet already made (something the chinese do every well).
  • by manufacturing overseas with cheap labor.
  • by the use of low cost materials.
Or some combination of the above. The test is to buy one and try it. It isn't that hard to design a good throwing hatchet if that is your intent and you know how to do it. Adding the saw actually may aid that end by adding the weight of the steel to the handle. As someone who owns and has made his own throwing knives and hatchets, I know a lot of the factors that go into the final price of commercially bought ones are cost and quality of materials, where made, marketing and extravagance of design.

I've been CEO of two corporations

As someone who owns and has made his own throwing knives and hatchets...

You're a funny guy...

I guess you've confused me with someone like you with no skills. I own a woodshop as well as a lathe, two milling machines and assorted other tools. I designed and made this.

1611510815773.png

Grinding and shaping an axe head and handle are child's play, just as I made the tripod support mounting ring and base I showed you a year ago for my Canon 300mm f/2.8 Fluorite.

1611510992442.png

I bet you can really wipe the blood off quickly off that puppy.

I'd recommend an Estwing for that...no troublesome nooks and crannies.

While I was responding to your silly post as a goof...I found this and now I want one...

Screenshot_2021-01-24-13-04-19(1).png

I'd recommend an Estwing for that...no troublesome nooks and crannies.

While I was responding to your silly post as a goof...I found this and now I want one...

View attachment 448019

Doesn't a zombie hatchet have to be pink?

How useful is a "mini" hatchet anyway?

It's a waste of pack space IMO as it is very limited in it's range of uses.

I'd rather carry a Kukri on my belt or strapped to a pack as it can be used for many purposes

I mean in all the times I've spent in the outdoors I never once said, "Boy, I wish I had a mini hatchet with a little saw in the handle"

How useful is a "mini" hatchet anyway?

It's a waste of pack space IMO as it is very limited in it's range of uses.

I'd rather carry a Kukri on my belt or strapped to a pack as it can be used for many purposes

I mean in all the times I've spent in the outdoors I never once said, "Boy, I wish I had a mini hatchet with a little saw in the handle"
Well, it's actually a mini axe...the dimension seem to be congruent with a standard hatchet...foot long handle, four inch axe head.

Nothing wrong with a kukri...but, I prefer a hatchet. I think it provides a wider range out options than a machete type bladed tool. More a follower of the Nessmuk school in this regard.

And here you get additional tools at your disposal...a hammer pommel and saw...with little additional weight.

The real question is...will it hold up?

I have a Fiskar x15 with this same injection molded configuration...and it has performed beyond expectation...but only time will tell with this Schrade.

I wouldn't have paid full price for it...but at 13 bucks I can try it out without much regret if it doesn't meet my needs.

This isn't a dig...honestly curious...

What can you do with a kukri that you can't do with a hatchet?

I mean, you still carry a smaller knife, right?

I wouldn't want to filet a fish or process a rabbit or whittle a small tool with a standard kukri.

This isn't a dig...honestly curious...

What can you do with a kukri that you can't do with a hatchet?

I mean, you still carry a smaller knife, right?

I wouldn't want to filet a fish or process a rabbit with a standard kukri.

A kukri will do everything a hatchet does and can still be used as any large field knife.

A small neck knife and a Kukri will give you more options than a small neck knife and a small hatchet

I'd go for an axe over a hatchet any day even though it weighs more

A kukri will do everything a hatchet does and can still be used as any large field knife.

I don't know if I agree with that.

But...I don't have any experience with a kukri.

I guess I've never found much use for a large field knife.

We all have different philosophies of use...more than one way to skin a cat.

If you've found a system that works for you, that's fantastic.

For me...I prefer the old ways. Not saying they're better...only time tested by more skilled outdoorsman than I'll ever be.

Forum List

Back