Chantix

earlycuyler

Extra long Bad Ass Cut.
Sep 17, 2011
Drivers seat.
I went to the doctor. to give this a try to help quit smoking. The doctor wrote me a prescription for it and called it in. I went to the pharmacy to fill it and was told it cost $127.00 and my insurance does not cover it ! You would think that as unpopular as smoking is that this stuff would be covered by insurance. The Pharmacist told me there are coupons on line for the stuff. If I get it I will post the cost and how it worked.

Good luck. Yeah you think the insurance co. would want to help folks quit smoking.
Reminds me when I hurt my back. Doc just gave me an RX but I didn't want to take pain pills.
I was terrified at the idea of a chiropractor but finally relented. Huge relief and he treated the problem, not the pain.
Called Ins. Co. - nope not covered (this was prob 8 years ago). I straight-out asked the lady "so, you folks would rather I just take pain meds indefinitely than seek treatment that actually corrects what's ailing me?"

"Uh, that's one way of putting it".
LOL

I went to the doctor. to give this a try to help quit smoking. The doctor wrote me a prescription for it and called it in. I went to the pharmacy to fill it and was told it cost $127.00 and my insurance does not cover it ! You would think that as unpopular as smoking is that this stuff would be covered by insurance. The Pharmacist told me there are coupons on line for the stuff. If I get it I will post the cost and how it worked.

You would have spent that plus more in cigs anyway. Chantix works. I was a 4 pack a day smoker. Used Chantix and was smoke free for a year.

Why should health insurance pay for something to help you quit a voluntary habit?

I see your point there, but insurance covers injuries due to sports, car accidents resulting from DUI, and liver disease due to alcoholism. I will get the pills and give them a try, and the cost will come out of my fun money fund. But considering that employers can now fire you for smoking, and property owners can choose not to rent to you if you smoke, and there are a shit load of smoking related illness you would think it would be cheaper to just cover the pills rather then treat the smoking related illness.

Medicaid won't cover it either. The price is most likely due to the fact that it's not generic yet.

Also, frankly, it's success rate isn't what it is cracked up to be. For people that don't want to quit but hope Chantix will be some sort of "magic pill" it's basically worthless. It does beat nicotine patches at least in the short term.

The week 52 CAR (NRT, weeks 8–52; varenicline, weeks 9–52) was 26.1% for varenicline and 20.3% for NRT (OR 1.40, 95% CI 0.99 to 1.99, p = 0.056).

By 1 year, these numbers aren't great. The Confidence interval crosses one, which basically means there was little to no difference.

Varenicline versus transdermal nicotine patch for smoking cessation: results from a randomised open-label trial

Good luck. Yeah you think the insurance co. would want to help folks quit smoking.
Reminds me when I hurt my back. Doc just gave me an RX but I didn't want to take pain pills.
I was terrified at the idea of a chiropractor but finally relented. Huge relief and he treated the problem, not the pain.
Called Ins. Co. - nope not covered (this was prob 8 years ago). I straight-out asked the lady "so, you folks would rather I just take pain meds indefinitely than seek treatment that actually corrects what's ailing me?"

"Uh, that's one way of putting it".
LOL

It's because, contrary to popular belief, close to 90% of low back pain resolves on it's own. The medications are just to keep you moving until that happens.

Medicaid won't cover it either. The price is most likely due to the fact that it's not generic yet.

Also, frankly, it's success rate isn't what it is cracked up to be. For people that don't want to quit but hope Chantix will be some sort of "magic pill" it's basically worthless. It does beat nicotine patches at least in the short term.

The week 52 CAR (NRT, weeks 8–52; varenicline, weeks 9–52) was 26.1% for varenicline and 20.3% for NRT (OR 1.40, 95% CI 0.99 to 1.99, p = 0.056).

By 1 year, these numbers aren't great. The Confidence interval crosses one, which basically means there was little to no difference.

Varenicline versus transdermal nicotine patch for smoking cessation: results from a randomised open-label trial

I mess up when I get to that three or four day "hump". The side effects are scarey to.

I mess up when I get to that three or four day "hump". The side effects are scarey to.

I don't want to be discouraging. By all means, try and stop smoking. I am a medical student. A lot of times we'll get smokers for extended hospital stays and put them on a patch, then at discharge we suggest that now might be the time to kick the habit. I believe that if you can kick it for two weeks, the physiological aspect of the addiction are gone. It just is a tough habit to break. It's more addictive than heroin. Other suggestions I've heard people make (other then the "set a date") is to want yourself down. If you smoke a pack a day. Cut down to 3/4th of a pack next week, 1/2 of a pack the following week, etc and also set limits (only smoke outside).

In the end though, you have to kick it on your own. Good luck with it. I used to enjoy smoking occasionally. But when you start seeing people at the back end of a 40 pack year habit dying slowly (and I am talking about COPD or Congestive Heart Failure, not even lung cancer) it will make you a believer.

Chantix side effects include heart attacks, aggressive behavior, heart problems and suicide.
:eusa_whistle:
Chantix Lawyer | FDA Requires Chantix Side Effects

If you are going to harp on the side effects of chantix, which are well known, that was kind of an asinine article to link too.

Are you seriously disturbed that Pfizer didn't include Chantix's warnings on single website promoting lipitor (a cholesterol drug)?

That seems more of an oversight then an intentional wrong.

Just pointing out the side effects for a quitter gâteauhell:lol:

I quit cold turkey almost 23 years ago. Did you take a pill to learn how to smoke? Well then you don't need one to quit.

You might invest in an electric cigarette. I've started using one last week and it's the only thing that I think might help the habit.

They have them available with nicotine and without, but I've long said that I don't think it's the nicotine. It's the actual habit of smoking. Otherwise nicotine therapy would work for everyone, and as we know it doesn't.

Sure, you're just trading one habit for another, but the electric cigarette isn't unhealthy. (If your unfamiliar, you're puffing on steam)

Just pointing out the side effects for a quitter gâteauhell:lol:

Relative to the side effects of smoking?

image.axd

Chantix is the best smoking cessation drug which is generally known as varenicline.it use the combination with the smoking cessation programs that is bassically used with modification and counseling to help to stop smoking.the side effect of this medicine is that it change the mood and behavior have surfaced.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back