CBO overestimates ACA costs by hundreds of billions of dollars

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Ewps!

Surprise-Obamacare Now Projected To Cost Hundreds Of Billions Less Than Expected - Forbes

OR go right to the source;

CBO | The Slowdown in Health Care Spending

As covered by;

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/03/b...less-than-expected.html?ref=annielowrey&_r=1&

Whatever the reasons, the overall slowdown in health costs has led to lower 2014 insurance premiums than analysts anticipated. That means not only cheaper plans for many consumers, but significant savings for the government.

One study by the liberal Center for American Progress, for instance, found that an average individual premium for a plan with relatively high out-of-pocket expenses in the insurance marketplaces is $3,900, about 16 percent lower than the $4,700 expected. If those savings were to stick, the Affordable Care Act would cost about $190 billion less than expected over the course of a decade, the center estimated.

Mr. Levitt pointed out that “premiums are particularly important for federal costs because of the way the tax credits work.” An individual purchasing a middle-of-the-road “silver” plan, for example, is required to devote a certain fixed proportion of his income to health insurance, with the federal government picking up the rest of the tab. “The government pays the rest of the premium, so it is more exposed to changes,” he said.

On top of that, the law might be smaller in scale than originally envisioned. Pervasive problems with the HealthCare.gov site might result in fewer sign-ups than government analysts anticipated, for one. But analysts cautioned that it was too soon to tell how the problems with the website would affect enrollment in private insurance.

Lower costs! That should make lots of people happy, right!?

Ewps!

Surprise-Obamacare Now Projected To Cost Hundreds Of Billions Less Than Expected - Forbes

OR go right to the source;

CBO | The Slowdown in Health Care Spending

As covered by;

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/03/b...less-than-expected.html?ref=annielowrey&_r=1&

Whatever the reasons, the overall slowdown in health costs has led to lower 2014 insurance premiums than analysts anticipated. That means not only cheaper plans for many consumers, but significant savings for the government.

One study by the liberal Center for American Progress, for instance, found that an average individual premium for a plan with relatively high out-of-pocket expenses in the insurance marketplaces is $3,900, about 16 percent lower than the $4,700 expected. If those savings were to stick, the Affordable Care Act would cost about $190 billion less than expected over the course of a decade, the center estimated.

Mr. Levitt pointed out that “premiums are particularly important for federal costs because of the way the tax credits work.” An individual purchasing a middle-of-the-road “silver” plan, for example, is required to devote a certain fixed proportion of his income to health insurance, with the federal government picking up the rest of the tab. “The government pays the rest of the premium, so it is more exposed to changes,” he said.

On top of that, the law might be smaller in scale than originally envisioned. Pervasive problems with the HealthCare.gov site might result in fewer sign-ups than government analysts anticipated, for one. But analysts cautioned that it was too soon to tell how the problems with the website would affect enrollment in private insurance.

Lower costs! That should make lots of people happy, right!?

Maybe people deciding not to buy higher premium policies has something to do with this? Just saying that this might not be good news.

Didja read anything of the three links, or just that which I linked here.

Oh I'm sorry...I'm supposed to go along with your delusion that you've posted new material and disregard all of the info I've read over the last 5 years? OK, I'll play your game and pretend that you're breaking new ground. Please tell me how it works.

The PPACA is a piece of crap law. It is economically naïve and should never have been passed but since you have "new info" let's play make believe.

Didja read anything of the three links, or just that which I linked here.

BTW, all three of your links have one theme in common. Did you pick up on that or does the guy you tried to call out for not reading your links have to tell you what your links say?

Forum List

Back