Caribbean Cruise Questions...

Anathema

Crotchety Olde Man
Apr 30, 2014
The Olden Days
Last fall my wife talked me into booking an Eastern Caribbean cruise to celebrate our fifth wedding anniversary this coming July. We are doing this with another couple who are also first time cruisers.

For those who don’t know me, I hate to travel and have no interest in visiting foreign countries; so my intent is to spend my time aboard the ship after we make our initial stop in San Juan PR.

What should I be looking to do to pass the time aboard ship while my wife and the other couple are out galavanting? Any suggestions on things to see or avoid? We are on one of the Celebrity brand cruises if thst makes a difference.

Last fall my wife talked me into booking an Eastern Caribbean cruise to celebrate our fifth wedding anniversary this coming July. We are doing this with another couple who are also first time cruisers.

For those who don’t know me, I hate to travel and have no interest in visiting foreign countries; so my intent is to spend my time aboard the ship after we make our initial stop in San Juan PR.

What should I be looking to do to pass the time aboard ship while my wife and the other couple are out galavanting? Any suggestions on things to see or avoid? We are on one of the Celebrity brand cruises if thst makes a difference.
I think you'll get bored. You can always hang out by the pool drinking mojitos. There is always the gym and the spa--a massage and time in the sauna is super relaxing and energizing, but you need to make an appointment--don't put it off.
There are sometimes little special interest groups that have a class. There might be a cooking class by the head chef or something like that. The cruise I was on had nothing very interesting. I would have loved to have more information about the places we were visiting.

If you take the cruise tours, you will not be lost or have to rub elbows with the natives. It's totally Americanized and harmless.

My better half and I decided last night we're gonna do it all in one shot, get married, have vacation, honeymoon, etc on one of those Sandals Resort all-inclusive deals. 16 days. Just haven't decided which Island we wanna go to yet.

I was just kiding about the red head behind the bar, cruises are fun, you'll find something to do, guaranteed.

My better half and I decided last night we're gonna do it all in one shot, get married, have vacation, honeymoon, etc on one of those Sandals Resort all-inclusive deals. 16 days. Just haven't decided which Island we wanna go to yet.

I was just kiding about the red head behind the bar, cruises are fun, you'll find something to do, guaranteed.

Assuming he likes to do things.

I think you'll get bored. You can always hang out by the pool drinking mojitos. There is always the gym and the spa--a massage and time in the sauna is super relaxing and energizing, but you need to make an appointment--don't put it off.
There are sometimes little special interest groups that have a class. There might be a cooking class by the head chef or something like that. The cruise I was on had nothing very interesting. I would have loved to have more information about the places we were visiting.

If you take the cruise tours, you will not be lost or have to rub elbows with the natives. It's totally Americanized and harmless.

Thanks for the information. I’m sure I’ll spend some time by the pool, spa and gym. I was more wondering if there were other activities for people not going ashore. I’ll have to check it out once we get aboard ship.

Assuming he likes to do things.

That depends on what the things are. If nothing else I’ll have my Kindle with me so I won’t get too bored. I can also spend the time improving on my semi-pro status taking extended midday naps.

If St Thomas is on the itinerary I would accompany her unless you trust her not to buy the diamond dealers out.

Drink.

Don’t hold back!

You will love it and congrats! Been to Sandals and Beaches a few times. Awesomeness.

Hope some cartel member dont start shooting as you leave your friends and wife alone in a foreign country.

My son did Sandals on his honeymoon. I think they were in DR. The resort was fine, he said, but they were disappointed that they didn't get to see any of the country. As soon as you stepped off the resort, the place was total ghetto and the kids begging and stealing were like blackflies.
Expect to stay on the resort.

We drove through half of Jamaica. Just stay away from Kingston. Negril and that area was our favorite, loved the cliffs, though we also enjoyed Ocho Rios. Great thing is you can visit different resorts of theirs on the island and most all is included.

My son did Sandals on his honeymoon. I think they were in DR. The resort was fine, he said, but they were disappointed that they didn't get to see any of the country. As soon as you stepped off the resort, the place was total ghetto and the kids begging and stealing were like blackflies.
Expect to stay on the resort.

You even make a cruise sound miserable.
I'd rather have dental work.
It's not THAT bad. I loved the weather (we went in January) and it was interesting getting a glimpse of a lot of the islands. Cozumel was my favorite. Saw Mayan ruins. Had a really good Mexican lunch and got a cool necklace via barter without even meaning to. I was in a small shop; the lady was watching me, I guess--when I admired the necklace for awhile, checked the price tag and walked away, the second time I went back to look at it, she offered it to me for less, so I took it. I wasn't expecting that in a store.

Forum List

Back