Can one still buy bottled water in California? If so, what is the point of banning straws?

Honest question. If you can still buy bottled water, the straw issue is a joke.
Everyone will be issued their own goatskin to carry their fluids in starting Jan 1, 2021.
Anyone who loses their skin will be shot.
i worked at microsoft for a long time and they gave away free bottled water. someone got a bright idea to conserve and put in water coolers and gave us all cups that said EFFICACY - DRINK IT UP.

bottled water was back in 6 months.

We stopped buying bottled water and went to the five gallon bottles and a dispenser.
The delivery guy brings them into the house,so no more lugging cases of bottled water from the store.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this started with Starbuck's ... they wanted to boost profits a bit and spun out the "we're eco-friendly" campaign by reducing services, specifically not giving out stir-straws ... [ka'ching] ... the kinds of people who pay $5 a cup for coffee thought this was a great Earth-saving idea ... and it worked !!! ... seriously, when's the last time you've seen a Starbuck's stir-straw out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean ... shares traded at $4.50 in 2008 and they're north of $80 today ...

One little factoid lost to history is that the nickel bottle deposit was a Republican initiative ... I have no idea why California isn't using this ... my guess is banning stir-straws maintains the liberal self-identity without messing with the conservative business underpinnings ... it's a mistake to think it's just the rivers in California that are full of gold ...

I remember those days.
As a kid we scoured construction sites for bottles.
Of course we also scaled the fence behind the grocery store and stole the bottles and turned them in at a different store.

At the moment plastic straws are easier to phase out than plastic water bottles, so pick the low hanging fruit rather than waiting for the big solution.

That would seem to be the obvious answer to the question.

Happy..

This is the issue and what is happening out side America

View attachment 287278

Phase-out of lightweight plastic bags - Wikipedia

This is Plastic Bags, worst than straws and look at Europe.. In Ireland the was a 20 cent tax levy on bags but you could buy reusables as well... there has been a 95% reduction in the using one off plastic bags. Simple solution, there was complaints when introduced but after we saw no plastic bags clogging up everywhere it became very popular...

No one thinks this is about the environment. It allows retailers to tack a charge on a product they've been giving away for decades and pretend it's about the environment.

They are banned in California, this is about the environment.

You can believe that if you want, I'm sure it will make is easier to deal with the fact that shops charge you for something they used to give you for free and laugh in your hippy face while doing it.

Laughing_yoga_Woma_3294760b.jpg

At the moment plastic straws are easier to phase out than plastic water bottles, so pick the low hanging fruit rather than waiting for the big solution.

Happy..

View attachment 287278

This is Plastic Bags, worst than straws and look at Europe.. In Ireland the was a 20 cent tax levy on bags but you could buy reusables as well... there has been a 95% reduction in the using one off plastic bags. Simple solution, there was complaints when introduced but after we saw no plastic bags clogging up everywhere it became very popular...

No one thinks this is about the environment. It allows retailers to tack a charge on a product they've been giving away for decades and pretend it's about the environment.

You can believe that if you want, I'm sure it will make is easier to deal with the fact that shops charge you for something they used to give you for free and laugh in your hippy face while doing it.

Single-Use Carryout Bag Ban (SB 270)

Happy..

View attachment 287278

Thank you for proving my point. Retailers not only no longer have to provide a bag that was costing them $0.02 per bag, they can now charge you $0.10 for the bag they were previously giving you.

Or, my personal favorite, they can sell you a hemp bag with their own logo on it, made in India or China for $0.10, for a whopping $5.00

AGF-l79aRptqKeO8Lo0FwPEDOjngA1akwOJ0Dknf8A=s900-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo

And ... here comes the best part .... you're THANKING THEM for doing it.

Happy..

View attachment 287278

Thank you for proving my point. Retailers not only no longer have to provide a bag that was costing them $0.02 per bag, they can now charge you $0.10 for the bag they were previously giving you.

Or, my personal favorite, they can sell you a hemp bag with their own logo on it, made in India or China for $0.10, for a whopping $5.00

Single use bags are horrendous to the environment no matter what a multi use bag costs.

Next thing you're going to do is insist it's the canvas bag makers who are apart of the conspiracy

Single use bags are horrendous to the environment no matter what a multi use bag costs.

Next thing you're going to do is insist it's the canvas bag makers who are apart of the conspiracy

A conspiracy is something done in secret. What is being done is right there in the bill you cited. This is no conspiracy, This is right in your face and you're loving it.

A conspiracy is something done in secret. What is being done is right there in the bill you cited. This is no conspiracy, This is right in your face and you're loving it.

Loving that people use less plastic? Yes.

water bottles can be recycled
strews not so much

Oh yeah, show me all that recyling after China quit buying our garbage. Your recycling has turned into stockpiling so it's no longer a valid excuse.
My recycling?

I use very few things that come in plastic bottles. Only morons buy bottled water.

And guys who drink from straws look like faggots

strews not so much

Why cant you recycle plastic straws?

You can but as far as i know there is no system set up for it

Why do you want to drink from a straw anyway?

What do you mean there's no program for it?
In my neighborhood you toss all your plastics in a bin and they haul it off to the recyclers.
Several reasons to drink from a straw.
One of them being sanitary issues. Another is those tall drinks in a narrow glass like a Long Island Ice Tea,you tilt that back and you end up with half your drink on your face.

strews not so much

In my neighborhood you toss all your plastics in a bin and they haul it off to the recyclers.
One of them being sanitary issues. Another is those tall drinks in a narrow glass like a Long Island Ice Tea,you tilt that back and you end up with half your drink on your face.
At my landfill there is no recycling bin for plastics other than jugs and bottles so there are many plastic items that do not get recycled

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

strews not so much

Funny I never had any trouble drinking any drink without a straw.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Forum List

Back